So I guess I'd call myself a beginner bassist, and I want to learn how to learn basslines by ear. Though, I'm not really good at it at this point. I want to know the bassline to FROOT by Marina and the Diamonds. Here's the link to the original http://youtu.be/BI_0HIz_4JY and here's a link to the short version http://youtu.be/WZzcY7ASQno . It would be great if any of you could help. Thanks!
I had a quick listen to the short version. That's not a beginners bassline if you want to play it just like the original. If you listen to her voice it's been very heavily processed and i suspect all the other instruments have been, including the bass.

It's easier in these cases to make your own bass groove to fit the song rather than try and pick out everything note for note. The rhythm is very percussive and I'd concentrate on that. Stick to the root notes (which the chord sequence will give you) and match the rhythm on the song.
Quote by Phil Starr
I had a quick listen to the short version. That's not a beginners bassline if you want to play it just like the original. If you listen to her voice it's been very heavily processed and i suspect all the other instruments have been, including the bass.

It's easier in these cases to make your own bass groove to fit the song rather than try and pick out everything note for note. The rhythm is very percussive and I'd concentrate on that. Stick to the root notes (which the chord sequence will give you) and match the rhythm on the song.

This. The bassline is mostly root notes. It has a heavy emphasis on the rhythm, so try to figure the rhythm out by ear and play something similar.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
it's all midi no wonder you can't pick it up
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
it's all midi no wonder you can't pick it up

Waht

There is clearly a bass guitar there and it doesn't sound sampled to me.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
it sounds like straight street fighter to me

listened on some better speakers though and it's more prominent and pretty easy to follow
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.