So I've been tuning with a boss TU-80 on all my guitars.

Normal stringing, pro wrap.. etc.. None of the methods.. possibly even locking tuners, would matter, even after stretching the strings, when you play for some time and bend strings.

We use our ears to hear but they will never be as accurate as a chromatic tuner, and some people's ears are possibly sensitive enough to hear the minor changes.

Why do people keep talking about tuning stability when it can never happen, technically.

If you break a string on a fixed bridge guitar, you WILL still go out of tune on the chromatic tuner's readings, because less tension on the neck results in less bow. You will still stay within the note range, but on the tuner, it will never be perfect registration. Intonation will be out completely.

Only our ears cannot register the changes but on a tuner, you will either be too sharp or too flat, not to the point of the next note though.
Why's it matter? Tuning stability is about how long a guitar remains tuned well enough that you don't notice anything wrong, since that's what actually matters in music.

Also, I think you're pretty significantly overestimating the effect of breaking a string on the neck, unless you leave it off for days. When I first got my Guild, it had only had 3 strings on it for at least a few years, and while it certainly wasn't "set up", the neck still had a functioning level of relief. A broken string, in the time it takes you to replace it, is going to have an effect on the neck that's probably negligible even to the tuner, though across the other strings it may have a noticeable effect on tuning depending how stable the neck is. Regardless, on a fixed- (or decked-) bridge guitar, breaking a string will almost always have a small enough effect on tuning that you'll be able to finish a song without issues.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jun 28, 2015,
Quote by sfx

Normal stringing, pro wrap.. etc.. None of the methods.. possibly even locking tuners, would matter, even after stretching the strings, when you play for some time and bend strings.

We use our ears to hear but they will never be as accurate as a chromatic tuner, and some people's ears are possibly sensitive enough to hear the minor changes.

Why do people keep talking about tuning stability when it can never happen, technically.

If you break a string on a fixed bridge guitar, you WILL still go out of tune on the chromatic tuner's readings, because less tension on the neck results in less bow. You will still stay within the note range, but on the tuner, it will never be perfect registration. Intonation will be out completely.

Only our ears cannot register the changes but on a tuner, you will either be too sharp or too flat, not to the point of the next note though.

What's your point, caller?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by sfx

Ummm....ok.

So what?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
So... was there a point of discussion, or a question? I feel like I just walked mid sentence into a rant with no point.

Also, you're underestimating how stable tuning actually CAN be. Maybe you've only got experience with crappy guitars. My hardtail stays in tune perfectly, all day long, even through hard playing, bends, etc. The other strings don't come out of tune if I break one, either. And my Floyd guitar stays in tune flawlessly, as well. I can pick it up by the strings and shake, and it comes back to tune. Breaking a string is just about the only thing that DOES take that one out of tune.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by the_bi99man
So... was there a point of discussion, or a question?

If there was a question then surely there would be a question mark as you demonstrated.

Quote by the_bi99man
So... was there a point of discussion, or a question? I feel like I just walked mid sentence into a rant with no point.

Also, you're underestimating how stable tuning actually CAN be. Maybe you've only got experience with crappy guitars. My hardtail stays in tune perfectly, all day long, even through hard playing, bends, etc. The other strings don't come out of tune if I break one, either. And my Floyd guitar stays in tune flawlessly, as well. I can pick it up by the strings and shake, and it comes back to tune. Breaking a string is just about the only thing that DOES take that one out of tune.

Glad it wasn't just me.

I have 2 guitars with Floyd Rose tremolos on them. I might hit a fine tuner a couple of times a week.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
If you have good tuners and bridge you will have little tuning instability, otherwise you will. It's got nothing to do with the initial tuning - it's about how well the tuning hangs in there afterwards. That's about the quality of the guitar's hardware.

Or am I missing something here?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
most of my guitars get tuned maybe once a week. i can play a long time on any of them for quite a while before it goes out of tune.

i can beat the hell out of my ibanez trems and i am right back in tune.

again, what is the point of this thread? maybe you need to set your guitars up better or get better hardware?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
After not touching it for over a year, I broke out my Dean EVO. It was a uniform half-note off. It may be a "cheap" guitar, but it certainly holds tune very well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!