Hey guys I'm looking to get a second tube amp head to add to my blackstar ht club 40. I want to be able to a/b it, run it at the same time or one at a time, you get the idea. Im really not sure what to get, I think I want to get something to add more of a blues tone (not worried about high gain). I really want to creat a unique sound with both these amps driving. I don't want to spend more than $600 for a head and I want to keep it between 20-30 watts, maybe even 15. I was considering the peavey classic 30 head and even played the ibazmez tube screamer head at sam ash which was pretty cool. I was thinking Marshall too even tho I don't care for them as a main amp but it might fit nicely with my blackstar, I do love their clean and crunch channel but that was it.

I would love some input on pairing an amp with my bs 40.

Cheers

Let me know if you have any questions

Update : I'm aware I can't run another head into my
Combo. I will be getting another 1x12 but I can take care of that. Thanks for all the helpful responses!
Last edited by JJbonesaw at Jun 28, 2015,
I don't know of a way to run both through one speaker cabinet, so you'll probably have to get a cab as well. I may be wrong...

I've played a coupel of Peavey Classic 30 amps, combos, they tend to be light on the bass end. I wasn't impressed, passed on a chance at one for a very good price years ago because it just didn't get the bass I wanted. Then later on found out I could have modded it a little for $10 and a couple of hours work...dammit...

If you're not concerned about high gain, some of the Fender tube amps are nice, I Just got a Pro Jr that seems to be pretty good but I haven't had it long enough to come to a solid opinion yet, and only 15 watts. But pretty freakin loud for 15 watts...and gets pretty dirty with the volume about halfway. Something in the 30 watt range would do fairly well, and Fender amps can do blues really well without much help.

There are other Peavey amps I like too, the Classic 50 is very good, and for clean blues the headroom will help get a nice clean sound, and they do blues pretty well too.

Then there's Marshall and Mesa, and don't let anybody fool ya, Mesa may have a reputation for high gain, but you can get some nice cleans and blues sound out of them if you know how to tweak the tone knobs.

I've been running a dual amp setup for a long time, mainly a Fender Super Reverb alongside a Peavey MX, which is a 130 watt amp, solid state preamp into tube power amp, plugged into a 1967 Kustom 2x12 cabinet. IN a loud bar band setup, the Super Reverb is the raunch and roll amp, and the MX is clean no matter how loud I crank it. A lot like a Twin Reverb on steroids...I once played clean leads on top of a 100 watt Marshall stack the guy had dimed...after the song he shook his head and said "Damn, man, what the hell do you have in that amp?" I was plugged into a home made 1x12 cabinet...I laughed and told him it was just a stock Peavey 130 watt amp...and I still had room to turn up the volume...it wasn't maxed out yet and playing clean leads over a 100 watt amp...

Now I'm using a different rig, the band I'm in plays a lot of really low volume gigs, my 6 watt Fender Champ can handle the raunch and roll end while the Super Reverb does a nice job of cleans. Going to be moving to a Fender Pro Jr soon and try i tto see how it does, the Champ just sounded too cheesy with the 8 inch speaker, so I've been running A/B into both channels of the Super Reverb, one brighter than the other, and running the overdrive pedal for when I need raunch and roll...

Different setups, depends on what I need to do. Our 4th of July gig will be outdoors, so I'll find out just what the Pro Jr will do...I'm hoping we get a band practice before then...

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking for a tube amp, probably a Fender, with some headroom. I can get a sound I like out of almost any tube amp, and if I have some headroom, I use the overdrive pedal to get some dirty when I need it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Egnater Tweaker, a lot of flexibility with tonal options, right in your price and wattage range.

I've run dual amp rigs before in the past (two half-stacks). I used to run my Sovtek MIG 100 half stack along side a solid state Randall RH100 half stack which was fed tones from a Line 6 POD 2.0. But that was 12 years ago and my back isn't as good as it used to be. My 6505 does sound nice with both my BV and Mig.

But yeah, a tweaker would work really well for you.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
You can run your guitar signal into an ABY box and pick either or both amps to send that signal to.

You can't, however, run run more than one amp through the same set of speakers at a time. There, you can run either/or (you'll want a Radial Headbone for that, and it ain't cheap), but not both.

I've run a Line 6 Pod X3 (and now an HD), which outputs in stereo (and you can set up two completely different rigs inside the Pod and pan one hard right, one hard left) into a Carvin TS-100 tube power amp (50W/50W). From there you can run to two different cabinets. OR you can run the Carvin bridged/mono (100W) into a single cabinet. The Carvin power amp runs a bit under $600. You can run EL34s in one channel, 6L6's in the other channel if you like (as long as you run in stereo) or you can run the same tube (all EL34s or all 6L6s) in both if you're going to run bridged/mono.
Last edited by dspellman at Jun 28, 2015,
I'd say a Sovtek Mig 50, but that's 50W and potentially over budget. Might be worth looking into. To be easy, a combo amp would be nice. Honestly, a Peavey VK 112 with a speaker swap or a Fender Blues Jr. might be just the thing for you. Could easily be kept under $350 in the used market.

Or definite +1 to the Tweaker suggestion.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
The Sovtek amps are going for stupid money these days. I love them, but no way I'd pay what people are asking for them. I bought my Mig 100 new in 97 for 250. There are amps on the market with way more features and better construction for the same cost that people want for the migs today. My Sovtek has never broken down on me, even with extensive gigging under its belt, but the plastic jacks and switches just make you a little nervous every time you switch on and plug in.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Jun 28, 2015,
this sounds more like a 'what amp' thread than an 'a/b my amps thread'

there are a ton of options out there, you're spoiled with choice
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by ThunderPunk
The Sovtek amps are going for stupid money these days. I love them, but no way I'd pay what people are asking for them. I bought my Mig 100 new in 97 for 250. There are amps on the market with way more features and better construction for the same cost that people want for the migs today. My Sovtek has never broken down on me, even with extensive gigging under its belt, but the plastic jacks and switches just make you a little nervous every time you switch on and plug in.

i paid $340 for a 50 watt, but t was from a tech who replaced all of the jacks, switches, pots, caps, tube sockets, and some other bits and pieces. he took the chassis apart to show me everything he did, and that amp just rips. he even showed me what the tubes tested at. i don't like NMV amps a whole lot though. i don't know how usable that would be to the OP. yea you can run pedals through it, but its not the same to me.

i got a sweet deal on mine though, but i agree that i would not bother with a stock one full of cheap plastic junk, i just can't imagine it being reliable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I almost bought a Mig 50, lol. Everything was replaced and the guy converted it to use EL34 tubes instead of 6L6s, but he wanted $650 for it and I just couldn't do it. Almost bought a Mig 100 too, but all the ones I came across were 100% original. No thanks.

I wish I could get a Mig 50 for $340. I'd probably lose my mind.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band