Hey guys!

I'm expanding my musical horizons a bit, so I want to know; Which hip-hop artists would you consider as among the best? Not asking what's cool right now, really just "must have" hip-hop artists. Those who redefined the genre, virtuosos, original material, etc. Something that grooves a lot, with sick bass lines.

Thanks!
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
BOSS pedals : TU-3 -> CS-3 -> NS-2 -> RV-5
Eminem
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
2Pac's probably the one I've most often seen referred to as the greatest of all time, at least among hip hop fans. All Eyez on Me is probably the album to look at first, it's a loooong double album with a lot of his signature songs on it.

Run DMC were kinda precursors to modern hip hop (First 3 or 4 albums are generally considered their best work - generally good stuff that doesn't take itself so seriously as later hip hop), and Public Enemy (Lots of good stuff, but the big releases were It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back and Fear of a Black Planet) are credited with pioneering the political element to it, so those two groups are generally numbered among the greats.

If you like Run DMC, De La Soul are probably also worth looking at.

Then there's Nas (Illmatic, It Was Written), Mos Def (The Ecstatic) who both have pretty comfortably certified classic albums.

Finally, kinda straddling the line between soul and hip hop there's Lauryn Hill, whose solo album The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is a pretty iconic piece of work.

There's undoubtedly lots I've omitted, though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jun 28, 2015,
Essential Albums of the G-Funk era
Dr Dre - The Chronic
Warren G - Regulate

Other greats:
Mos Def (have a listen to his song 'Know That')
Nas (his first album is incredible)
Talib Kwali
Beastie Boys

Avoid:
Jay-Z
Kanye
Lil Wayne (a given)

I guess if you want to get into it, read up on West Coast and East Coast. The styles are completely different. Judging from your OP I'd recommend the G-Funk era stuff. Their backing tracks more for being more mellow than East Coast and have really phat bass lines.
MF Doom is all you need.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
For contemporary stuff I strongly suggest Danny Brown and Action Bronson. I like some ASAP Rocky aswell as some Kendrick Lamar from time to time.
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"
Quote by grapist
aswell as some Kendrick Lamar from time to time.

Probably my favourite current rapper, soulful performance, a lot of melody, a lot of groove.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
I recommend the Native Tongues collective: De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Brothers (definitely A Tribe Called Quest, though).

Black Sheep, Black Star, Common are a few others off the top of my head.
Check out:
locksmith, truthseekah, the lost children of Babylon, lowkey(revolution music), jon Murdock, hopsin, k-rino(the album "the maven" is pretty dope), R.A. the rugged man, chino XL.
check out this playlist if you want some good lyrical music and not some dudes talkin about cars, bitches, money and drugs.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ4xpEwejlJtJctWomepyH37oTlt4DGxH
Last edited by NetRang3r87 at Jun 28, 2015,
lol NetRang just posted a bunch of obscure shit. Btw Hopsin is terrible.

Lupe Fiasco (everything before his third album is amazing, past that the production gets real shitty)
Common
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Q-Tip
Wu-Tang Clan
Nas
Jay-Z (not his newer stuff)
Kanye (yeah yeah hes a shitbag whatever, but every album, besides Yeezus, is gold)
Anything produced by the Neptunes
MF Doom
Earl Sweatshirt
Kendrick

I know some were already said, but I wanted to reaffirm.
about the only ones I can agree with lettucefase about is mos def, wu tang, lupe fiasco, nas (nas with damian marley is dope)

BTW they aren't that obscure. LOL.

BTW2: don't be confused by the usernames the MODS should be deleting NetRanger87
Quote by Tag43
I recommend the Native Tongues collective: De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Brothers (definitely A Tribe Called Quest, though).

oh yeeeeeeaaaahhh