I've always been a fan of the sound of MM Sterlings, so I'd love to get a ceramic pickup to replace the Alnico one in my SBMM Ray4 .
My plan is to replace the stock 500k volume with a push/pull to coil split the pickup for a slightly more J-type sound.

Can anyone recommend a good ceramic pickup and how to wire it for coil splitting?

Here's the current wiring

and here's the pot I plan to use

Thanks!
pickups wise describe the sound you're after and maybe someone can help, favorite bands, favorite tones ..etc help. I'd consult the tone wizard charts on seymour duncan , dimarzio or bare knuckle pickups as that is what helps us make the best decisions.

coil splitting is easy , do this to any push pull you can get , alpha to the really overpriced gibson ones. Focus on the top 6 contacts of the push pull and wire everything up the same.

if you want two pickups to coilsplit you'd want to put a wire (or lead from a capacitor) to the side of the pot going through both the middle contacts as they are the common.
you might get better specific recommendations in the bass forum
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
question: why do you need ceramic? with their active preamp the the oem's are pretty powerful. maybe you can install the split first and see how things go? had one of the sub ray 4's at the house last month -awesome bass. one pickup btw.

check out the nordie MM4.4 and it's wiring. not ceramic but...

http://nordstrandpickups.com/products/mm4-4/
Quote by ad_works
question: why do you need ceramic? with their active preamp the the oem's are pretty powerful. maybe you can install the split first and see how things go? had one of the sub ray 4's at the house last month -awesome bass. one pickup btw.

check out the nordie MM4.4 and it's wiring. not ceramic but...

http://nordstrandpickups.com/products/mm4-4/

The main reason I want ceramic is to make it sound a bit more like a Sterling.
I generally prefer the smoothness.

I think after searching around, the Duncan SMB 4D will be the one I go for since it's not too expensive and works nicely active or passive which should give me plenty of tonal options.