I'm wondering about your experiences with the premium strings. I have tried nyxl and overall liked the stability and sounds in the high spectrum. The lows were a little muddy. I just put slinky's back on and they are turning black already. I think I'll try the cobalts before long. I saw pics on youtube where the m-steels are very rough under microscope, which kind of scares me in terms of fret wear.

What are your thoughts and impressions on the more expensive string offerings?
Last edited by 21GunSalute at Jun 28, 2015,
Bought NYXLs to see what the hype was all about.

Not impressed at all. They might appeal to people who really like that bright new string sound, but I don't. Regular D'Addarios are perfect for me.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hate Cobalts. The sets I had were very rough. Too much friction. Never been an issue before.

I use NYXLs now. ... They're strings. I don't hate them. Too expensive for one pack.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I'd have to agree about the Cobalts they did seem very rough and although they sounded great at first they really seemed to die off quickly for me also.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
I might be a freak exception to string-life stuff, since my sweat is corrosive enough to turn strings black within half an hour, quite often significantly less, but I found that the Cobalts felt and sounded pretty good when they were new. I'm not usually a fan of EB strings but they were nice. NYXLs stretch into tune SO much faster than any other string I've tried, which is great for tuning up a Floyd Rose, but beyond that I didn't feel or hear any difference between those and regular D'addarios. They might have been a tiny bit brighter but nothing significant. Unfortunately I haven't tried the M-Steels, I can't justify paying £17 (in the UK) for half an hour's worth of playtime.

If you burn through strings as fast as me, Elixirs are pretty much your only solution, but if you can get more than half an hour out of uncoated strings, I'd recommend Cobalts over NYXLs, just because I felt that for the extra money they offered some kind of tonal improvement. NYXLs are great strings too, don't get me wrong, I just found them too pricey when they're basically the same as regular D'addarios.
I've only tried NYXLs and Cobalts so far and I like both for different reasons.
NYXL - I have them fitted to my Ibanez and they just sound good, stretch in well and last a decent amount of time.
Cobalt - I have a 7 string set on my Schecter and I use them for 3 reasons:
1. They seem to feel tighter than the non-cobalt equivalent gauges, so a 10-66 set feels really good to me in Drop Ab.
2. They do have a higher output which helps because the pickups in the Schecter are quite PAF like.
3. They sound clearer. When I'm dj0nting, they don't sound quite as muddy as regular strings.

That's about it really. If my only option was a regular set of nickel wounds, it wouldn't bother me too much, but if I can get them cheap, NYXLs and Cobalts do feel and sound better to me.
i use my nickel blues d'addarios which cost $40 for 10 sets, they do me fine. i don't understand why you would pay $15 for a pack of strings, i would rather have four cheaper sets and change more often. thats just me though, and i can say i haven't tried them , but i certainly won't spend that much on strings..

bottom line. strings a personal thing. different strings work for different people, buy them and try them out for yourself.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
tried cobalts. dont get the hype. im a standard string guy myself. want to try the NYs. waiting to find hybrid sets, heavy bottom 9s in my stores.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I used steel strings for years but didn't realize how shitty they were lol I tried the cobalts and m-steel, which seemed pretty nice and VERY long lasting, but I noticed also that my Les Paul has probably twice the fret wear that it should for how much I play. That's what I get for being stubborn.

Put a little string cleaner/lubricant on standard strings and they'll last a really long time (I use Dunlop Formula 65).
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
I switched to cobalt strings a few months ago, and have been very happy with them so far. I'm on my third set, each of the previous two lasted almost two months before the strings turned dull.

Overall I didn't notice much difference when playing, the strings simply keep a nice sound longer.
Guitars: Music Man JP7 2009 (piezo) and JP6 2013, Fender Stratocaster US 1991