Hi guys, I've been a member for years but this is the first thread I actually start. I'm on the verge of buying a new guitar and any feedback would be awesome.
So the context is as follows: I consider myself as naturally leaning towards fender type guitars. I love the definition and precision of single coil sounds, the playability of the instruments and the general look of them, especially strats, jaguars and mustangs. I have my single coil sound covered though, for I own a two strats, a mexican and an american one which i love.
However, my band plays a relatively diverse collection of genres, ranging from rock, funk and blues jams that my strats have no problem handling to more punk, garage, almost metal tones sometimes. this is where the "new guitar" enters the picture. Whenever we are playing a stooges, nirvana or ramones (just to give you guys references) influenced song, i feel I'd love to have a guitar with a bit more crunch and roar to it, more of a humbucker sound, really. however, I'm not willing to spend a lot of money on it, especially because my american strat already covers most of the stuff I play.
Right now, I've narrowed my search down to two guitars: the Blacktop Strat, which comes with alnico humbuckers, and the modern player Mustang, equipped with p90s, which i think are a nice compromise between SC and HB. Both of them have features that i love, namely the fender feel and look and also pickups which are more hard rock sounding. i have tried the Stang at a store and enjoyed the feel of it. haven't tried the strat but have played numerous others strats over the years and heard several demos of this particular one. The strat would cost me about 600€ and the Stang 500€, so money is not a really important issue in this comparison as both are affordable. If you guys have some sort of input or knowledge regarding these guitars, it would be really helpful! Thanks a lot.
one big difference (i recently mentioned it on another thread), but the mustangs are 24" scale. i have tried them before and i just didn't jazz with that short of a scale.

honestly, i haven't ever been a fan of fender humbuckers (not that i have tried them all though).

personally i would pick up a used MIM strat, a pickguard and throw two humbuckers in there you like, and i think you would be golden. at least, that is what i would do.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
In your situation, I'd be tempted to get my hands on one of the axes out there that has a HB in the bridge and a P90 in the neck. They're not common, but there are more of them in production now than ever before. In your price range, Reverend, G&L, Godin, and I think even Fender offer such guitars. Probably others as well.

You could also buy a Fender or G&L (or the like) and do a simple pickup swap of the neck HB for a HB-sized P90 for not a lot of money.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
^this is a good idea. I think danny "+1'd" a similar recommendation I had a while back with the Ibanez Chris Miller model iirc. Fender Jazzmaster style body, humbucker bridge, P90 neck...best of both worlds where it counts. I'd still love to have it and I'm not the biggest Ibanez fan.

Between the two main choices you got it sounds like you would be happier with the Mustang. The P90s they're using can get chunky when you pile on the gain so it can handle the heavier songs. Unless you're wanting to experiment with humbuckers the 'Stang should treat you good.
Quote by JBailey23
^this is a good idea. I think danny "+1'd" a similar recommendation I had a while back with the Ibanez Chris Miller model iirc. Fender Jazzmaster style body, humbucker bridge, P90 neck...best of both worlds where it counts. I'd still love to have it and I'm not the biggest Ibanez fan.

I believe I did.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks for all the replies guys, i went with the mustang because besides enjoying the sound of the p90s i also like the feel and the look of the guitar. Maybe in the future i'll upgrade the pickups or change something electronics wise, the guitar wasn't too expensive so in the end I guess it will pay off.