I've recently made leaps and bounds on my right hand technique, but I recently encountered a problem. I do all of my playing at home on my white Fender strat. Well, I recently got my first gig (yay me!) and it was a metal show, so I decided to use my metal looking Les Paul with mean pickups. Since I hadn't played the Les Paul in so long, I realized my new found right hand technique didn't feel the same when playing the low E string. I immediately noticed that the bridge on my Les Paul sits about a half inch higher than the bridge on my strat, and it became clear. You see, when I'm playing the thinner 5 strings, the lower fatty part of my thumb rests on one or more of the bigger strings (also muting them) and gives me an anchor from which I can move my wrist with great precision and efficiency. But when I play the low E, I would just rest that part of my thumb on the body of the guitar itself. Except now when I did that with the Les Paul's higher bridge, the strings were now sitting at a much steeper angle. This requires that my usually very mechanical wrist motion that is parallel with the body of the guitar be modified to attack the strings from a 45 degree angle from underneath. I feared that this would become a bad habit (especially since the songs I was playing were pretty fast and had a lot of gallop picking) so I learned different anchor points. One was to rest the bottom middle of my palm directly on the corner of the bridge. This way I was back level with ALL the strings and the anchor point's placement made more sense like a swivel joint near my wrist. The second anchor point I tried was the infamous finger anchor. I used my ring finger and pinky to lightly touch the guitar body. Ultimately, I ended up using my fingers to kind of "grab" the high E string and anchor there during my fast parts on the low E string because it got me the quickest results needed for the show (we cut it close!!).

Anyways, the show is over now and I want to know what is the most accepted proper way to rest your right hand. I am determined to avoid bad habits.
Short answer is what works for you. Most folk would rest little-finger side of palm on body, or maybe on bridge, when playing the bass string, but move palm onto the bass strings as the treble strings are played (or move palm slighly across bridge).

The main aim being noise control (muting all but the string being played, with a combination of palm (bass) and underside of little finder (treble strings), plus muting with fretting hand.

For me, I form a tunnel using the above idea ... only one string rings out cleanly ... everything else is dead (unless I deliberately want more strings to sound, such as double stops, chords etc)

Practice moving from bass string (6th string) to more treble strings, moving your picking hand, very slowly ... check each string for string noise, by using pull-offs with fretting hd.

cheers, Jerry
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jun 29, 2015,