Has anyone here bought a guitar without playing it, like having one ordered or delivered. I have and it has worked out pretty good but i am still nervous to do it again. anyone here get one that turned out to be garbage?
I have ordered about 3-4 guitars online. Unless it's absolutely impossible to go to the store and try one, I would avoid buying them blind. One of the most important things about a guitar is the feel and you will never be able to try how the guitar will work in your hands via photos on a computer screen.

Sure, a lot of places offer a 30 day returns thing or whatever but I find that to be a hassle. I don't want to have to rebox the whole thing and ship it back (hopefully not at my expense either). I would feel safer just going into a shop and buying something I know I will like to play (instead of buying something I like the look or specs of that I think I will like).

That being said, my most recent blind purchase was an Edwards guitar and I don't regret it. Mind you, I spent a long time deliberating and really studying the brand and the specific guitar before I pulled the trigger. If I could've found something locally that was similar I probably would've gone that route though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have purchased two guitars online with no major issues. Like everything else there are some advantages and disadvantages. But it's the way things are now.

What are Edwards guitars?
I really don't get the obsession people have with buying instruments online- are you not near any music stores? Typically you can get a music store to order the product for you for 0 shipping cost and then you can return it for a small re-stocking fee if it turns out to be a lemon.

Preferably you play an instrument before buying it. There is a lot of variance in resonance etc. even within the same brands.
I've bought by mail order and in store. Success is about 50:50. Mail order avoids impulse buying, and whatever I get, I learn to live with it. My two most successful (acoustic) buys were mail order, but I spent a lot on one fixing it up, and much careful research went into the other. I wouldn't buy some makes of acoustic by mail order, because of big variations in tone and neck angle.
Quote by dthmtl3
What are Edwards

Sex on a stick is what Edwards are:

Basically another brand of ESP guitars. They make Fender and Gibson style guitars as well as ESP style ones for a really killer price. You get proper woods, nice hardware, the whole shebang.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've only bought second hand guitars so nope. But soon enough I'll have to order online because most stores only carry the same brands and guitars they've had for years no one wants. And what brands they do have they don't have many choices in models/colors. Also ERGs are virtually impossible to find, and if someone does have any they are those cheap ones.

If there was a guitar shop with the selection of a musiciansfriend warehouse sure I'd never order, but there is no such thing as such a shop.
Last edited by Wormholes at Jun 29, 2015,
Quote by reverb66
I really don't get the obsession people have with buying instruments online- are you not near any music stores?

Preferably you play an instrument before buying it. There is a lot of variance in resonance etc. even within the same brands.

We have seven GC's within relatively short driving distance, as well as some major Sam Ash's, etc.

And yet, the guitars (and keyboards) I've purchased recently have mostly been online.
Not a single GC had the Variax JTV-89F I wanted when I bought the first one a year and a half ago. In Los Angeles, I couldn't find one. I actually ordered mine *through* GC, but I opened the box, inspected the guitar and left the store with guitar and box before playing it. Same with the second one early this year. I bought an Agile AD-2300 from Vancouver based on an inspection by a forum member on the AGF board. I've purchased three other Agiles (two new, one used) online fairly recently. I have seven Carvins, a couple of which I bought in Carvin stores in Hollywood, but the rest were online purchases. The new Carvin Vader V8 will be a custom order. A Taylor T5 and an 814ce were delivered, sight unseen. And so on.

Same for keyboards. I wanted a Korg Kronos X and a PA3X. GC had NONE in the entire store system in LA. I found them, lightly used, online, and saved about 50% of what I would have paid at GC. All screaming right along for the last year and change.

1. Mostly the guitars I want aren't in stock at a local music store.
2. I don't select guitars based on unplugged resonance or on their setups in the store.
3. i have absolutely no intention of buying something "off the wall" at most brick and mortar stores unless it's a vintage piece I can't get anywhere else or it's so cheap that the beating it takes there doesn't matter.
4. About half the guitars I buy are used. Generally, I'm not going to find what I'm looking for hanging at a local GC. I've been looking for a Variax 705 five-string bass. GC had ONE, used, in Woebegone, NC.

Honestly, a brick and mortar store is probably the last place I'd go to search for a new guitar.
Quote by reverb66
I really don't get the obsession people have with buying instruments online- are you not near any music stores? Typically you can get a music store to order the product for you for 0 shipping cost and then you can return it for a small re-stocking fee if it turns out to be a lemon.

Like dspellman, I live in a major metropolitan area- in my case, Dallas/Fort Worth. I know most of the music stores here.

...and most of my 20+ guitars were ordered by phone or over the Internet.

Simply put, there are hundreds of brands, and most stores will only carry a couple dozen, max. And of the brands they carry, they don't carry all models. Heck, even within a chain, not all locations sell all brands the chain distributes. Beyond that, some brands are not available in all countries. Some brands are not sold in stores, but are instead sold directly to the consumer.

The same issue applies to amps & pedals.

Don't get me wrong: I have no issues buying from brick & mortar stores. But they have to be selling what I'm looking for.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 29, 2015,
I literally just pulled the trigger on a new guitar I know for a fact is not available in any stores around me. Pretty hard to screw up an LP clone though. Hope it's heavy enough for me. Weight was not listed anywhere.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by reverb66
I really don't get the obsession people have with buying instruments online- are you not near any music stores?

Not sure what it's like where you are but my 'obsession' came from the fact that my last guitar was $800 cheaper online!
That said, I did try the exact model in store first.
I'll probably buy all of my guitars online from now on for a couple reasons. Stores don't usually have the a wide assortment of options. If you want a guitar in a particular color or fretboard, stores might not have one in the back. No stores had the chrome silver maple American Deluxe Strat so I ordered online. I did try a few American Deluxes in stores and did a lot of research before ordering. They might not even have certain models. When I got my RG2550Z, no stores had that model. So I just tried a bunch of Prestige RGs and did my research. I've been happy with my results from ordering online. The real benefit from ordering online is price. Tax here is almost 9%. So if you're buying something a $1000 guitar, that's almost $100 in tax. I can avoid that online. And when I went to stores, they would tell me they can order me a guitar and it'll be there in a few weeks. But I can order it directly to my house and it'll be there in a few days.
I've traded for both of my guitars. Didn't really play either one before the deal was final. One worked out fantastic! The other is kinda...Well I love most everything about it, except for how it feels in my hands. (And a few little OCD things.)
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.