Page 1 of 2
How's it going MT.

This thread is brought to you from the minds of Jet, Duane and Golden Guitar, as both a reaction against the last few days of thread-age, and the fact that we need to do something new again.

It's time for another composition challenge!

THE CHALLENGE:

We are going to write a collective theme and variations on this bad boy:

We are going to use the form A A B A.

So in reference to that image, you will do the first line twice, then the next two lines. When your turn comes up, you re-write a variation of the melody.

THE CATCH:

Every time someone does a variation, they get to make up a rule that MUST be followed by the previous composer. So, whoever does the first variation will have a lot of freedom, but the subsequent composers will have an increasing list of demands they have to meet, until the last person who has to follow every restriction.

This will force us all to be creative, as we effectively screw each other over with each iteration a la Mario Party.

THE PROCESS:

-We go down the line, adding rules and taking turns writing until it's done.
-Jet edits them all into one piece.

We can also (read: we should) make all the rules first so everyone can write at once, so this doesn't take a month like the EC projects did.

-When you make a rule, you cannot make any restriction that is game breaking/global (like "every note must be C", "every note must be more than an octave apart" ), and you cannot create a rule that prevents the fulfillment of a previous rule.

-A good example of a valid non-global rule would be, "every 3rd note must be on the upbeat", or, "you have to repeat one pitch every 10 notes"

THE CATCH'S CATCH:

Jet's computer USB's are broken, so he's running at diminished capacity here, and he wants to play. So:

I will be taking on the role of the 5th horseman of the apocalypse, Chaos itself.

If you submit a piece, I'm going to look at it before adding it to the chain. If you violate any of the restrictions or rules, I am going to VIOLENTLY EDIT THE LIVING SHIT out of your piece until it's a fair submission, and you have zero say as to what surgery I work on your new child. You won't even know about it until I reveal the final piece.

LET'S DO THIS THING!

Sign up below (suggest a rule at the same time), I'm going to double post for the order and rules, as usual, and we can get the ball rolling here. Go Team!

P.S.

THE FIRST RULE: MONOPHONY.

You get one melody line and nothing else. Make it count.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
The Order:

#0: Jet Penguin, Chaos Incarnate
#1: Kevatuhri, Seeker Of Banjos
#2: MaggaraMarine, Bass Warlord
#3: Duaneclapdrix, Inspirator of Challenge
#4: The 4th Horseman, Like Chaos, But Death-ier
#5: 20T, Jet's Less Angry, But Equally Handsome Half
#6: Sean0913, The Lone Ranger
#7: NeoMvsEu, Mistress of Chordage
#8: CelestialGuitar, Cosmic Genie
#9: RonaldPoe, The Most Polarizing Man On MT
#10: Golden Guitar, The Thunder From Down Under

The Rules

-Whatever your number in The Order is, you are following that rule number and ALL the rules prior.

#0: Monophony. One melody allowed, make it count.
#1: Every iteration needs a number of accidentals PER SECTION equal to the iteration #.
#2: At LEAST one section must end with a BADASS blues cliche
#3: The last note in every even #'d measure can't be used to imply any tonal progression.
#4: The B section must contain a phrase made from the whole tone scale.
#5: You must have a sequence with at LEAST 4 segments.
#6: You must have ten tritone leaps.
#7: Every other bar needs syncopation.
#8: Every section (AABA) must contain odd note note groupings
#9: Two phrases (not sections) of extremely wide intervals split with rests
#10: Every 5th note is the upbeat of a quarter note (To hell with quaver) Triplet

-You don't need to wait your turn, just defer to this post and you can start writing as soon as we have the rules set!

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Well, I'm certainly interested. And I think I should have time for this as well. I hope.

But I also have to think of a rule... how about having to add a sharp or a flat to the key signature (and use the affected tone as well)? I don't have experience in UG contests so I might say something that's retarted, bear with me
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
^Right track, but that's a global rule that's gonna affect the entire thing. If you can find a way to modify that, we're good.

Maybe like, "each turn, the minimum amount of required accidentals increases by 1.

I'll sign you up though, you got time to brainstorm.

Right. How about having to use an altered tone per line? Or am I making it worse?

Bear with me, please. Internet is scary.

EDIT: I'm fine with your iteration of the rule, I just wanted to get some accidentals rolling.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Last edited by Kevätuhri at Jun 29, 2015,
Can I join with the demand of syncopation? Or is that a bit too demanding for the remainder of a song?
^No global stuff.

You could do "every X amount of Y needs syncopation"

Every two measures of the original song needs to have at least one syncopated rhythm.

That sounds a lot nicer
^Shit, sorry. Edited.

Added.

^Lol you could just write anything and claim a m2 going up is a maj7 leap in the opposite direction.

Perhaps we amend it to "you need X amount of tritone leaps"?

In

Include at least one sequence that is four segments in length. (real or tonal)
Si
I thought we were doing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? So if every other note in the melody is the actual song and the other is a Tritone off the actual melody that would be next, it should look like:

C Gb G Db A Eb
twin kle twin kle lit tle

Wouldn't it?

@ 4th Horse hmm.. Rule idea - maybe make every major 3rd interval a minor 3rd?

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 30, 2015,
what happens if the rules contradict each other. Like Sean's rule would make a sequence nearly impossible since the segments would likely be at inconsistent intervals.

@4thHorseman...as above. Or make the use of retrograde inversion compulsory, or must include at least one quarter note triplet, or include two whole notes in a line..etc
Si
Sean's suggestion for 4th's rule would be a global rule. You can say something like "one major 3rd interval in the melody needs to be a minor 3rd" instead. The whole point of local rules is so that the chances of clashing rules are diminished.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Jun 30, 2015,
Here's mine:
Every fifth note of the melody needs to be on an upbeat of a quaver triplet. This doesn't count for when you pad the melody with other notes, so people have plenty of time to 'create' the preparation.
^ You can sort of fake it and then let it bleed over to a regular time signature. As in you can physically write a time signature change of 7/8, but write the music so that it's not in 7/8 and just keep doing it until you get another 3 bars then it'll be regular again.
^Yeah this. Perhaps Odd note groupings would be a better idea.

I'd change Sean's rule, it locks in waay too much.

What an ironic choice of song, this Dark Lord is in. Also could you summarize the rules better? I'd love to participate.

My rule is that each member must add their own bassline and it will harmonize in some way with the song.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
It sounds like a good rule, but we're going monophonic.

So probably no Bach violin partita-esque stuff from me either. >.<
^Lol what she said. Monophony Only.

If you can't write a good single line you can't write.

Jet's got some stuff to do today, but we're getting the ball rolling in about 6-8 hours. If you guys don't have rules by then I'm just gonna modify your suggestions.

I was thinking more of a piano line and that could have a bassline. Of course I could subsitute the piano for a violin ...

Edit: I'd love to join this challenge so please pick me. I promise to be relatively mild (by my standards at least). Also I never knew GoldenGuitar was Australian (that's really cool). I had 3 friends who were from foriegn (not USA) countries (Norway, India, and a Middle Eastern country).

Edit2: I can't read sheet music well so expect lots of melodic variation and interpretation.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Last edited by RonaldPoe at Jul 1, 2015,
I'm interested, but can't think of a rule yet.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^Ronald can play, just by the rules. All you have to read is what I put in the OP, we're composing independently this time.

Everyone Check My Double Post Let's Get This Show On The Road.

I have started to like the accidentals a lot more! Can I have more than 7 accidentals, or must I stick with exactly 7 per section? @.@
^That's a minimum, so go nuts.

Rules Are Set. Time's Up. Let The Games Begin!

Well I got a boring one. Not that I'm complaining. But what's the timeframe here? I have a day off work tomorrow, is that too late? I have some time today as well so no problem if we're in a rush.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Nah just do what you must.

I've already got something made but it came out way more dissonant and crazy (even for me) than I wanted it to be (I blame the instructions). Since I was 2nd to last, I was forced to add a lot of extra accidentals, flat-fifths, a triplet in each section, a whole tone lick, ect. My question is how much does it have to resemble the original lullaby? All the right notes are on the upbeats at least but the result barely resembles the original.

^It's okay if it's totally abstract, just do what you can with following the rules.

There's a way to to it and make it very consonant.

Page 1 of 2