I was jamming with a buddy of mine recently and he brought over his tube distortion pedal that I think was called Black Star?? or something like that. I played through it and for lack of a better term, I almost jizzed in my pants. I have heard that tubes make a big difference for metal but I was blown away. I want one really bad, and I'm interested to hear from anyone who has one, what make a model it is and how much you paid for it. Thanks!
Yeh Blackstar are okay..

But when it comes to tubes get your eyes on Damage Control pedals and you'll never look back.
mojostompboxes.com
Tubes in guitar pedals are gimmicks, they need more tension to work properly than whatever pedal power supply I've seen can put out.

You can get better distortions for the money than blackstar's if ya ask me.
If you have the money there's Wampler, else if you're lower on cash there's the MI crunch box, or the EHX metal muff if you're even lower.

Then if you care a lot about quality/price ratio there's the joyo extreme metal or pocket metal.

The amp you're using also has the biggest impact on your tone, so you may not be able to get a satisfying tone because of that.
What amp are you using?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jun 30, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
Tubes in guitar pedals are gimmicks, they need more tension to work properly than whatever pedal power supply I've seen can put out.

If you have the money there's Wampler, else if you're lower on cash there's the MI crunch box, or the EHX metal muff if you're even lower.

Then if you care a lot about quality/price ratio there's the joyo extreme metal or pocket metal.

The amp you're using also has the biggest impact on your tone, so you may not be able to get a satisfying tone because of that.
What amp are you using?

what are you talking about. there are plenty of high voltage tube pedals.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
AMT has some nice ones, funny enough I think the solid state versions sound a little better. The SS-11 and SS-20 are tube preamps basically in pedal format. But from what I've listened to, the SS-30 has the best tone of the lineup and it uses FETs instead of tubes.

I wasn't really impressed with the Blackstar pedals when I listened to them. I remember seeing something where the Blackstar pedals are pretty much identical to the preamps of the HT series amps. So if you like that sound you'd like the pedal I presume.

Electro Harmonix English Muff'n is decent if a Marshally sound is what you're after, though there are better non-tube Marshall pedals I think.

The Ibanez and Seymour Duncan tube pedals just plain suck. I think the Radial tube pedals are ones where the tube doesn't really actually do anything and is just used as a gimmick. I wouldn't overly concern myself with whether a pedal has tubes or not, just look at pedals on a case-by-case basis.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by Spambot_2

What amp are you using?

I'm using the line 6 Spider IV. And my buddy runs his pedals through a stand alone speaker, not sure what the specs are on it. But it sounded pretty damn good to me.
Quote by AcousticMirror
what are you talking about. there are plenty of high voltage tube pedals.
Only ones I've seen are blackstar's actually, and they don't sound any good to me, especially for the price.

Care to point out the others for me please?
Quote by ryane24
I'm using the line 6 Spider IV. And my buddy runs his pedals through a stand alone speaker, not sure what the specs are on it. But it sounded pretty damn good to me.

Your biggest problem is your amp, and changing that will make you sound better than any pedal at this point.

Also your friend had some other piece of equipment - these blackstar pedals don't put out nearly enough power to make a speaker produce sound at any appreciable volume.

He possibly was using the speaker emulated output through a powered PA cab, else he had a power amp somewhere.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Only ones I've seen are blackstar's actually, and they don't sound any good to me, especially for the price.

Rather than a list, just read this thread.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boutique-high-voltage-tube-od.823588/
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Spambot_2

Your biggest problem is your amp, and changing that will make you sound better than any pedal at this point.

Also your friend had some other piece of equipment - these blackstar pedals don't put out nearly enough power to make a speaker produce sound at any appreciable volume.

He possibly was using the speaker emulated output through a powered PA cab, else he had a power amp somewhere.

jeebuz cat. you want me to prove your wrong statement wrong for you.

no.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
The only ones worth a damn are the high plate voltage ones.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I had a tech recently open my Mesa Bottle Rocket and actually they have their tube running at 300 volts, out of a 18 volt power supply. So there are some that are really designed properly.

I'd say look at H&K Tubeman II, Mesa VTwin and Blackstar Ht-Dual. Those are the good tube pedals I know of.
Quote by Arby911
Rather than a list, just read this thread.
I stand corrected.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola