https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbuy9Zhdx9U

ok, this is just some pretty wild impro over a santana track.

In the second half I'm mostly going all in in terms of speed so at this point it is really just supposed to be a technical demonstration rather than music
Last edited by mrfastfinger at Jun 30, 2015,
Not super sure where to begin. First off I can tell you've worked a ton on alternate picking. Very solid technique, although it does look like u have too much tension in your hands at various points. The biggest thing that stood out though, is ur vibrato, and not in a good way. I would suggest spending some solid practice time on developig a good vibrato. Yours just seems really forced, and way too fast (fast vibrato works sometimes, but having a variety of options and control over it is incredibly important). You'll find the longer you play, that having the ability to play fast runs is great, but that's the last thing the audience cares about if it doesnt lead to or from a strong melody (trust me, ive learned that the hard way). But all in all, if u learned a bit more about when to use speed, and fixed up ur vibrato u'd be an amazing guitarist. You definitely have the chops. Once u put it all together, the sky is the limit! Best of luck!
Is this song like in a really cool mode or something? Because I've seen a ton of technical shredding videos over it. Should give it a try sometime. First off my speakers are turned up a good amount and I'm still half hearing it. Most of the licks are really cool but are only hampered when they become overly technical and to much vibrato is used and again ^ forced. I'll agree that your hands look rlly tense at points, but some of the really fast licks are insane. My favorite one begins right before the 3min mark. Overall nice job, I'd love to see this applied to orignal songs of yours! +1 like and +1sub

C4C please?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1680342
Last edited by owen556 at Jun 30, 2015,
Quote by awesomo41894
I would suggest spending some solid practice time on developig a good vibrato. Yours just seems really forced, and way too fast (fast vibrato works sometimes, but having a variety of options and control over it is incredibly important). You'll find the longer you play, that having the ability to play fast runs is great, but that's the last thing the audience cares about if it doesnt lead to or from a strong melody (trust me, ive learned that the hard way). But all in all, if u learned a bit more about when to use speed, and fixed up ur vibrato u'd be an amazing guitarist. You definitely have the chops. Once u put it all together, the sky is the limit! Best of luck!

I have actually never spend any practice time on vibrato - simply because of the fact that I didnt know what to actually practice. I'd really like to have some advice from you on that.

About when to use speed: Well i have that thing that when i enter shred-zone then there is really no turning back even though it gets pointless musically. But youre right about knowing when to slow down and in fact ive recently gotten a lot more relaxed in a way so combining slow and really fast works better for me now then it used to.
Quote by owen556
Is this song like in a really cool mode or something? Because I've seen a ton of technical shredding videos over it. Should give it a try sometime. First off my speakers are turned up a good amount and I'm still half hearing it. Most of the licks are really cool but are only hampered when they become overly technical and to much vibrato is used and again ^ forced. I'll agree that your hands look rlly tense at points, but some of the really fast licks are insane. My favorite one begins right before the 3min mark. Overall nice job, I'd love to see this applied to orignal songs of yours! +1 like and +1sub

C4C please?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1680342

I genarally like santana songs from Supernatural, I also solo alot over Maria,Maria
I think this particular song has this strong feel of tension which makes it well suited to go really fast.

Ive got a couple of (old!) original songs but nothing really with super fast playing (https://soundcloud.com/skisma), but im currently writing a metal song (Sithu Aye, Gru kind of style) where i may do some really fast parts. Im actually trying to write a whole album in the prog metal genre.

(btw i will check your stuff tomorow (european time)
Last edited by mrfastfinger at Jun 30, 2015,
Quote by mrfastfinger
I have actually never spend any practice time on vibrato - simply because of the fact that I didnt know what to actually practice. I'd really like to have some advice from you on that.

About when to use speed: Well i have that thing that when i enter shred-zone then there is really no turning back even though it gets pointless musically. But youre right about knowing when to slow down and in fact ive recently gotten a lot more relaxed in a way so combining slow and really fast works better for me now then it used to.

Well when I decided to really focus on my vibrato a few years back, I basically started by just playing a note, and vibratoing it fast or slow, or whatever, and just listening, while keeping mind to it being even, and always going back to the root pitch. The biggest key though is honestly listening, and saying, do I like how this sounds. If so, great, if not, ask yourself why. Also you can practice to a metronome, vibrato slow and fast, and wide and narrow (quarter or even eighth steps, to whole or whole and a half tone ones).
As for when to use speed, playing live and with others is the only way I learned it honestly. Being in a glam band for about 3 years helped me learn too, because I realized the crowd didnt give a crap how fast I played if it didnt lead anywhere.
also, sorry for any typos, im typing on a tablet haha if you have any more questions, feel free to add me on facebook, just search jacob popowski
hey! Funny thing is that first half of the video you have punctuation problems, like its too lightfingered, try to use more expressions to make it more cooler (like staccatos), lead "sentences" are also a bit wierdly ended, should be more logic into it, i know its improv but still, work on that. But when you begin to shred everything is fine no wierdness what so ever. I mostly enjoy melodic and a bit slower solos, but on your track i enjoy second half of the solo much more! But maybe its just style, I dont know a lot about santana soloing, he might have that wierd phrasing Really good solo and I enjoyed! Rock on!

Might wanna crit mine solo? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1680000
Quote by awesomo41894
Well when I decided to really focus on my vibrato a few years back, I basically started by just playing a note, and vibratoing it fast or slow, or whatever, and just listening, while keeping mind to it being even, and always going back to the root pitch. The biggest key though is honestly listening, and saying, do I like how this sounds. If so, great, if not, ask yourself why. Also you can practice to a metronome, vibrato slow and fast, and wide and narrow (quarter or even eighth steps, to whole or whole and a half tone ones).
As for when to use speed, playing live and with others is the only way I learned it honestly. Being in a glam band for about 3 years helped me learn too, because I realized the crowd didnt give a crap how fast I played if it didnt lead anywhere.
also, sorry for any typos, im typing on a tablet haha if you have any more questions, feel free to add me on facebook, just search jacob popowski

Thx for your detailed answer.
Even though I still have to work on that I think that my vibrato is actually better than what it appears in the video above.
I recorded a new video consisting of two parts (one recorded yesterday, the other today). You can see that at some points I almost fall back into doing the 'forced' vibrato (its two different kind of arm/hand movements). Preventing this works when I play more relaxed tracks or when Im particularly focusing on vibrato. Or thats at least what I think. I would really appreciate your honest opinion on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejQ3ooe750Y

If I was on fb I would add you. Btw I checked you yt-acc and you really have earned your name, awesomo^^
Quote by mrfastfinger
Thx for your detailed answer.
Even though I still have to work on that I think that my vibrato is actually better than what it appears in the video above.
I recorded a new video consisting of two parts (one recorded yesterday, the other today). You can see that at some points I almost fall back into doing the 'forced' vibrato (its two different kind of arm/hand movements). Preventing this works when I play more relaxed tracks or when Im particularly focusing on vibrato. Or thats at least what I think. I would really appreciate your honest opinion on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejQ3ooe750Y

If I was on fb I would add you. Btw I checked you yt-acc and you really have earned your name, awesomo^^

thanks man Well, first things first, this video impressed me way more than the shredding one. Your vibrato is definitely better than in the other video. One little piece of advice, when i vibrato, unless im using my index finger to fret the note, i use my other fingers before that finger to help vibrato as well (So, say im fretting a g with my middle finger 12 fret on g, id also use my index to help vibrato). Outside of that, there's not much more I can say. Id personally still suggest adding vibrato to your practice regimen (You can never be too good at something). I still practice vibrato daily myself haha. Best of luck man! If you have any more questions, just comment on my UG profile, Ill add you on here