Both companies make some really good instruments. If anything, the reason that LTDs tend to be more popular is that ESP in general is much better at marketing than Jackson are. They've got a bigger roster of endorsers, which helps them there. Meanwhile, Jackson's reputation is more built on the 1980's and they've not done that good a job of updating their image in the years since. I think that's a shame, since I'm a big Jackson fan. I'll always be happy to recommend them.

For low-tuned metal, both companies (and plenty of other companies too) will have models that are especially suited, and probably other models that don't do it quite so well. Are you interested in baritones, or 7 strings? Or do you want a 'regular' 25.5" scale 6?
Both are very good for low tuned metal. It comes down to preference. For example, their necks have different shapes and radius. While Jackson has compound radius necks, most LTD guitars have a 14" radius necks if I'm not mistaken. You should try both brands and see which one feels most comfortable to you.

I personally prefer the neck shape and the compound radius of the Jacksons.

After that, it's a matter of choosing the best model for what you want to play. Giving us a budget, favorite artists/genre, etc, would help a lot.
Nobody can answer this question for you. Both brands make great guitars.

I agree with confuse-a-cat. Jackson's celebrity endorsers tend to be involved in older bands that young players may not be so familiar with, and their celebrity roster is significantly smaller and less diverse than ESP's in general.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
LTD is more popular because they must spend a fortune in securing endorsees. Apparently anyone who makes it onto a stage these days gets an endorsement by LTD or Ibanez. And kids who see their stars using these brands think then that they are somehow superior and end up buying these brands solely because their favorite guitarists are paid to use them.

You should be able to use any guitar brand for regular or down-tuning.
Jackson is making an interesting foray into ERGs lately. Biggest problem I see is they have, IME, pretty bad QC.

And they need a more modern headstock shape alternative.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Definitely a preference issue. I play a LTD and my buddy playing with me in the band has a nice Jackson. Both are solid guitars depending on which model you're going after.
Quote by Offworld92
Jackson is making an interesting foray into ERGs lately. Biggest problem I see is they have, IME, pretty bad QC.

And they need a more modern headstock shape alternative.

I think some of that QC should be taken over by the vendors. You can't expect guitars to arrive perfectly after being shipped around the world.

Is there a headstock more modern than Jackson's? They'd be seriously diluting their brand if they came up with more designs. Jackson isn't trying to be ESP--offering something for everyone (mostly by ripping off everyone else's designs).
With no more info than this then Jackson.

Both have fast necks and when I grew up it was Jackson or BC Rich. Jackson is still top notch but I would not expect too quality from the JS series.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I admit I'm not really into Jackson for the possibly not brilliant reason that they tend to look immensely boring for me in the vast majority, but I've generally heard good things about their quality, even the cheapest models. LTD seems to have a solid reputation overall as well, and I liked the ones I played.

Probably either company will have something you'll like, you'll just have to look at specific models and find out more about them.
Quote by dthmtl3
I think some of that QC should be taken over by the vendors. You can't expect guitars to arrive perfectly after being shipped around the world.

Is there a headstock more modern than Jackson's? They'd be seriously diluting their brand if they came up with more designs. Jackson isn't trying to be ESP--offering something for everyone (mostly by ripping off everyone else's designs).

When I talk about QC, I don't mean setup. I think it's ridiculous if anyone gets mad over a bad setup in the shop. Because bad is so hard to define, not everyone likes action so low every fret buzzes. But a lot of people do.

I mean QC like finish, electronic & hardware stability/installation, hardware alignment. Stuff that is not easily fixable and should not be an issue on a guitar period.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It just depends on your budget and your feel preference. Both are at similar price points even. But we can't help you, until you give us bands you want to sound like, budget, Trem or Hardtail, Active or Passive pickups...All of these things would be nice to know.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
I have owned entry level JS series to USA Jacksons and 100 level to 1000 level LTDs and both offer quality products even at the lower end of their guitars. I do slightly prefer the necks on Jacksons on the lower models, but in time you will get comfortable with a neck profile.
When I bought my ESP LTD, I felt that the quality and features of the ESP for the price were better than Jackson, but that was over 10 years ago. Today, Jackson makes some nice guitars at at similar price points. Buy what you like, one brand isn't "better" than the other.
It's like Nike vs Adidas. Both are fine brands with similar offerings at similar pricepoints, and utilize the latest technology and child labor. I'd say pay attention to which one is offering better stock pickups at the pricepoint you're considering.
Quote by 21GunSalute
utilize the latest technology and child labor.

huh?
I prefer Jackson of the two. I have owned three of each. DKMGT, DKMG, DK2M for Jackson. EC400, EC401, EC1000 for LTD. They both make decent guitars, but I think MIJ Jacksons are certainly better, barring personal taste.

What do I like? Ibanez prestige models. All of the Jackson's and Ltd's are long gone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've owned an ESP M-II Maple and now own a USA Jackson SL1. I much prefer the Jackson, however it was much more money than the M-II. Will both guitars serve you well and be high quality? Absolutely. Granted these are different tier instruments, but I don't think you can go wrong with either company really. Like the design of one of the models? Go with it! Just as long as it has the hardware you like and feels comfortable to you!