I have been looking into getting myself a wah pedal. I have no idea what the difference between any of them are. I am most interested in the Ibanez weeping demon and the Zakk Wylde Crybaby. I was looking at the weeping demon and it has so many different settings it caught my interest because I am not 100 percent sure what I am looking for. I like the Zakk Wylde pedal because I just love his music and he is someone I look up to when it comes to playing the guitar. Or could I just get a cheap 30 dollar pedal and be satisfied? I really don't want to drive 40 miles to try one out.
Thanks,
Tyson
like any pedal group wah's aren't all the same by a long shot. they tend to have different voicings etc so know what you want helps. a wah is a very individual pedal as well. just becaue zakk uses one kind doesn't mean that they will work for you or even sound right when you are using them. 40 miles isn't that far to see whether you'd like a certain one. i'd assume that the store would have more than one type there so you can try a bunch and see what works for you.

personally i like Morley. the Bad Horsey is popular wit metal and shred guys. myself i use either a classic or power for my wah needs. they work well with distortion and have the button on the side of the pedal instead of under the tredle like most do (the bad horsey is activiated by just putting you foot on it).
I prefer Morley over Dunlop but it is all personal. You might also want to look at the BBE wah.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I drive 100 miles out easy to test things out and just make an afternoon of it, take the little lady shopping and grab a bite, etc. Either you get what you want or you'll just keep on searching.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Voicings are different, but so are the buffers (ergo why I've seen some pick morley over Dunlop). I've only used my Dime wah since I can tweak it. I think it depends on what your amp is; if it's good you'll notice the nuances that differ between the wahs so go for what you like best regardless of price. If not, then not so much, meaning you'd be better off with a standard issue of a particular wah than a higher priced signature version.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 30, 2015,
That's also what I was wondering. Zakk can play like I can only dream, so that means it might not be good for me. I guess I just might have to take a drive. I really don't even know what to really look for so I might get sold to easy. I have never used a WAH pedal in my life.
I've never been much of a wah enthusiast, so I've only owned the standard Crybaby, the Jerry Cantrell signature, and the AMT Japenese Girl. Between all of them, I seem to get the wah sounds I like. A lot of wahs also have different mechanisms, too. Some activate just by sensing your foot on it as opposed to the traditional pot.

Given your situation of not wanting to drive too far, I suggest getting one that has a few settings you can change and tweak to taste. Xotic just came out with one that has a 2 band EQ and bias and voicing controls. The new Crybaby Mini also has internal DIP switches to change the voicing as well.
I've got a Dunlop Crybaby(no fancy crap), and a Morley Bad Horsie II.

I swap them about depending on my mood.

One day, I may use them both at the same time, because reasons.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
So from what I understand the main thing involved with the overall tone of the wah are the individual components while the circuit determines the depth and tone of/in the sweep. If you're looking for that 67 tone, get one with a fasel inductor, it gives is a certain growl. Most of the high quality wah pedals have one.
I would describe the crap wah's sound like: *Mwlui*
While high quality ones sound like, well: *Wah*
I've tried lot's of wah pedals because I was most excited for this type of pedal. for a good quality/sound at a good price I'd go for a Dunlop Classic Wah (which is what I'm currently using.) It's like twenty dollars more than the Original but sounds much better IMO.
That amp is plenty good enough for the Wah's to come through fine. What I suggest doing is buying something new off reverb with a place that has a 30 day return policy (GearTree, for an example) that carries Wah's. You can return as necessary if you don't like it or if you can find one used (if you don't care about new/used) cheaper.

The Xotic carries a $235 tag; not the best if what you get will be your first wah.

I'm a bit of a control freak, so I like my dime wah (3 Knobs for range, Q, and bass/treb tone) since I feel like this sort of thing can be adapted to rigs of all kinds. But as a start: Classic crybaby to get you experience.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I own three Wah pedals: an old Gibson Maestro (not even sure it still works), A VOX Wah (the cheap one) and an Ibanez Weeping Demon Jr. The one thing I like about the Weeping Demon is that it turns itself off when the pedal isn't moving any longer that's great in one sense but it also stops you from using the pedal for a frozen tone thing. I like the VOX because I can turn it on and put the pedal in one position and use it as a great frozen tone filter. It also just sounds like an old classic wah. Have fun and try whatever you can your hands on.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
There is a dime wah on my local classifieds that I might just go look at.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
you have to aks yourself what do i want to do with the wah. if you've never played one then that makes it a bit tougher. i kick mine on for solos for certain songs. i used it to make my guitar sound like a snake charmers flute on one song (curse of the mummy's tomb link in profile). i also use it like michael schenker does and just have it preset to a certain tone and kick on the pedals when i need that tone.

you may want to post a couple of vids that represent waht you want to do to get better answers.
Dime wah might be a bit tough for your first. Sure, it was my first too but I was an idiot when I started buying pedals so I got lucky with that one haha.

Then again it's not like wahs are too tough to get the hang of. Sure, at least trying one in general would help, but if it's going for $90 or less I say give it a shot.

Also: what monwobobbo said, too.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 30, 2015,
If it's for solos, the MXR CAE MC404 wah set to the Orange LED is an awesome wah for that.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
For solos is all I want with it right now. I have really been working on solos as of late. I have been studying Zakk's and Metallica solo's. It's almost the only music I have been working on.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
no tehy are not. same basic principles all with different tweaks. morley vs dunlop is a religious debate. thats a big different there. then you got the outsiders that swear by banez and vox.

the boutique snobs have their clydes and their 400 dollar custom ones.

90% of us have some for of dunlop. and theres about 12 different dunlops with thier own tweaks.

my 2 cents, get a dunlop but get an upgraded one. you will wish you had. the standard is...teh industry standard. not bad. but for a little bit more you can get a customizable sweep, less tone suck / true bypass ,etc. and EVERYBODY at some point points a finger at a wah for tone such or asks "hmmm....what if my wah sounded a bit different for the music i play" ...hence the adjustabel sweep on some of those nicer wahs.

just do it. you will thank yourself.

and if you a morley guy...you will never be satisfied without a morley. go test one.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I'd say wahs are as personally specific as any pedal. I typically prefer a classic rock-ish tone but I dig the Morley, hate the Crybaby. Which, on the surface, I assumed the opposite. I have a basic Morley wah now, and use wah more than ever, I boost it with a distortion pedal, sounds frickin' killer. I've owned several Dunlop wahs over the years, never really liked any of 'em. Its definitely a pedal that you have to find which one works for you and what you wanna do specifically
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by ikey_
no tehy are not. same basic principles all with different tweaks. morley vs dunlop is a religious debate. thats a big different there. then you got the outsiders that swear by banez and vox.

the boutique snobs have their clydes and their 400 dollar custom ones.

90% of us have some for of dunlop. and theres about 12 different dunlops with thier own tweaks.

my 2 cents, get a dunlop but get an upgraded one. you will wish you had. the standard is...teh industry standard. not bad. but for a little bit more you can get a customizable sweep, less tone suck / true bypass ,etc. and EVERYBODY at some point points a finger at a wah for tone such or asks "hmmm....what if my wah sounded a bit different for the music i play" ...hence the adjustabel sweep on some of those nicer wahs.

just do it. you will thank yourself.

and if you a morley guy...you will never be satisfied without a morley. go test one.

well ok as a Morley guy i guess that has some truth. agree with the skipping the low end dunlop stuff. i had a vintage Thomas Organ cry-Baby (original maker) and although it sounded ok it was a major tone sucker and it was embarassing when it picked up the radio and the guitar solo on the radio was better than the one i was playing .
Fulltone Clyde or RMC.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I love my Morley Maverick. It's basically a Bad Horsey in a pedalboard friendly size.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd get the Dime Wah it's made in USA unlike the rest.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
The great thing about the crybaby original is that it's a fantastic modding platform. Doesn't sound great stock; but they have improved it somewhat from what it was a decade or two ago. The buffer is it's main problem.

The differences between all the crybaby models are really quite small. Usually just a cap or resistor change here or there to alter the voicing. Other brands have more differences, but the crybaby type is the most popular circuit.

If it's for metal maybe look at morley, but both Wylde and Hammett use crybaby's
RIP Gooze

cats
The Kirk Hammett design looks pretty bad ass. I read the reviews and everyone seems pretty happy. It is more expensive than the Wylde crybaby.
Last edited by tysona23 at Jul 1, 2015,
Quote by tysona23
The Kird Hammett design looks pretty bad ass.

looks mean nothing when it's time to play. yes it does look cool but that isn't what matters.
There is also several models of Morely. Which one is best for metal? You talking the bad horsie? And do am I going to want to put the pedal in my effects loop or in series with the guitar?
Last edited by tysona23 at Jul 1, 2015,
Wah should be (one of) your first pedal(s) in the main guitar chain. And here's the thing, most wah's are good for just about anything unless they're specifically made for lower gain classic/vintage tones. Like, the Maiden guys used regular crybaby's in the 80's. I really suggest starting with a standard issue of whatever brand you start with. Cryaby original or classic OR Morley's classic wah, whichever you feel.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 1, 2015,
Quote by tysona23
There is also several models of Morely. Which one is best for metal? You talking the bad horsie? And do am I going to want to put the pedal in my effects loop or in series with the guitar?

depends on how you want to use it. the Bad Horsey is a fav for metal and shred. the one disadvantage it has is that it is foot activated. you put your foot on the peddal and it automatically comes on. take foot off and it goes off. for some that is great but for someone like me it doesn't work. i use the Power Wah for metal. has a boost function and the on /off switch is on the side of the pedal. this way i can preset the wah to any position and just turn it on for that one without moving the treadle. it does take a little practice to get used to as most wah are activated by stomping the treadle all the way down to click it on.

couple of vids on youtube with the power wah in high gain situation. also can be heard on my tune Valley Of Gwangi(link in profile)
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jul 1, 2015,
I just got rid of a Weeping Demon. It looked good on paper because of the versatility, but the sound quality was a bit on the annoying side (kinda like the difference between analog and cheap digital). It made a lot of noise too.

I upgraded to a CAE (MXR) dual-inductor wah. It's essentially both a Vox-ish and a crybaby-ish tone in one pedal. It's very VERY low noise as far as wahs go, and has a "smoothness" (I don't know a better way to describe it) unlike any wah I've ever heard.

The only thing I would change about it is to somehow have the boost wired so it can be used while the wah is off (it won't do this because of the true bypass) and I wish it had an auto-on feature like the morleys and weeping demon.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Quote by tysona23

I use the bad horsie 2 which has a regular wah and a contour wah in 1 pedal. With the contour you can dial in the frequency of the sweep to fit your music better.

I also really like the switchless on/off it has, all you do is set your foot on it and it turns on, lift your foot up and it is off.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I use the bad horsie 2 which has a regular wah and a contour wah in 1 pedal. With the contour you can dial in the frequency of the sweep to fit your music better.

I also really like the switchless on/off it has, all you do is set your foot on it and it turns on, lift your foot up and it is off.

Yea, those are really the reasons I got one. Early experimentation with the contour made some really horrific noises, though.

Then again, I manage that with just the guitar and amp, so...
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I just ordered the Dimebag wah. I think that is the one I am going to enjoy the most.