Page 1 of 2
Ummm..
I want to start a band, basically a rock band!
I'm a 19 year old girl, who lives in India where rock, to most of the people, means Linkin Park!
I am a vocalist who can play acoustic guitar(only instrument that agreed with the need and budget). I can't "Grohl" but I scream and growl pretty well with decent(little heavy) vocals
Well, coming to the main point..
I know only two musician friends of mine and none of them matches my taste. I tried making songs with DAW, but hey! IT SUCKS
I don't know what to do! I can compose too but I wish I could play all the required instruments by myself
My parents support me but to an extent! They may let me buy a microphone but won't let me go somewhere to find myself band mates. The only battleground I'm left with is the internet and these DAWs

Please tell me what to do..?
Last edited by shreyanstar at Jun 30, 2015,
Start from ground up and build your foundation thoroughly. Learn the basics well and you will become a good musician. Learn a lot of songs and use your ears to grow as a songwriter. Analyze those songs and try to figure out what you like about them. If it is in any way possible to get a teacher, do that. I can't stress this point enough.

You could buy a cheap condenser mic if your parents let you, with that you can record vocals and acoustic instruments (and why not electric) well enough. There are a lot of great tutorials all around the internet that will help you with recording and production. What DAW are you using by the way? Might impact your results. Learn a new songs, try to come up with your own stuff, record it as well as you can, rinse and repeat. It might take a long time, but eventually you will grow as a musician. But don't rush it: as I said, a solid foundation beats a decade of shoddy practice.

And there's no reason why you couldn't learn all the instruments yourself. It might take a couple of years, but music is time consuming. Dedication and passion are important. If you really love music, you should be ready to spend a lot of time on it.

And I'm probably a horrible person, but I almost started laughing at the "Grohl" I'm so sorry.

I can Dave Grohl like hell. You?
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Start from ground up and build your foundation thoroughly. Learn the basics well and you will become a good musician. Learn a lot of songs and use your ears to grow as a songwriter. Analyze those songs and try to figure out what you like about them. If it is in any way possible to get a teacher, do that. I can't stress this point enough.

You could buy a cheap condenser mic if your parents let you, with that you can record vocals and acoustic instruments (and why not electric) well enough. There are a lot of great tutorials all around the internet that will help you with recording and production. What DAW are you using by the way? Might impact your results. Learn a new songs, try to come up with your own stuff, record it as well as you can, rinse and repeat. It might take a long time, but eventually you will grow as a musician. But don't rush it: as I said, a solid foundation beats a decade of shoddy practice.

And there's no reason why you couldn't learn all the instruments yourself. It might take a couple of years, but music is time consuming. Dedication and passion are important. If you really love music, you should be ready to spend a lot of time on it.

And I'm probably a horrible person, but I almost started laughing at the "Grohl" I'm so sorry.

I can Dave Grohl like hell. You?

I can spend my whole life! Trust me on that!!
I do not own an electric guitar and seeing me head banging all day long , my parents might won't give me the opportunity any sooner
I used Guitar Pro 5 but couldn't get with it well, then I started using Walk Band(android app) that surely is a duplicate of Garage Band!
There aren't enough music teachers in here except for keyboards and guitars(money making tendencies )
So, shall I go back to the DAW deal back again?

I too, can "Dave Grohl" but wait..
It's DAVE GROHL!!
Last edited by shreyanstar at Jun 30, 2015,
The one thing that connects all professional musicians is that they are shit hot at their instrument and pretty damn good on a couple of others too.

If you practice well and hard then you'll find others who will want to join you and work from there. There may not be a lot of open mic nights or shows in your town, but there are probably some; are you good enough to play a 20 minute afternoon slot local festival/event as a solo acoustic guitar player? Can you put together a half hour set of classics singing and playing (tears in heaven, some bob dylan?) and then throw in an insane tommy emmanuel/rodrigo y gabriela jam at the end?

If you can do that you'll find some other musicians pretty fast, guaranteed!
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
The one thing that connects all professional musicians is that they are shit hot at their instrument and pretty damn good on a couple of others too.

If you practice well and hard then you'll find others who will want to join you and work from there. There may not be a lot of open mic nights or shows in your town, but there are probably some; are you good enough to play a 20 minute afternoon slot local festival/event as a solo acoustic guitar player? Can you put together a half hour set of classics singing and playing (tears in heaven, some bob dylan?) and then throw in an insane tommy emmanuel/rodrigo y gabriela jam at the end?

If you can do that you'll find some other musicians pretty fast, guaranteed!

I'm a pretty good vocalist but when it comes to guitar I can only play rhythms and that too, to accompany my voice..
I can sing with no interruptions for at least an hour, but guitar..
I'm not a professional
Quote by vocoderboy
audacity is a free DAW and loads of folks on here (not me) use it here and would be willing to colab online.

if you find no takers PM me and we can try work something out.

I've used audacity but just to mix different sounds(including my voice). I need music in my tracks and that is the reason why I tried GP5 and Walk Band..
Quote by vocoderboy
what kind of music?

Hard Rock music, you may say..
With all the basic instruments with a little variation
Quote by shreyanstar
Hard Rock music, you may say..
With all the basic instruments with a little variation

so why not record what you have written acoustically then ask someone else to add other parts to your stems/audio track?
Quote by vocoderboy
so why not record what you have written acoustically then ask someone else to add other parts to your stems/audio track?

I need music first so I can record in a synchronized manner. My mind makes music with the lyrics itself
Quote by shreyanstar
I need music first so I can record in a synchronized manner. My mind makes music with the lyrics itself

So...write the music down, then record it? It's not as hard as you think it is. Write it down on sheet music or in a notebook or whatever. Then, record it. I fail to see what the issue is, beyond you not doing what you need to do, that is.
Quote by shreyanstar

you are really over complicating this for your self.

record to a metronome then add the other bits .

its not rocket science, record guitar then vocals.
Quote by shreyanstar
Would Pro Tools help?
Or
Should I make rock music acoustically for the instance?

no any DAW is fine all come with metronomes.

take time to learn how to use your chosen DAW to a competent level.

investigate drumloops
Quote by vocoderboy
no any DAW is fine all come with metronomes.

take time to learn how to use your chosen DAW to a competent level.

investigate drumloops

Okay
I will learn how to use Pro Tools, keep writing songs, use my guitar with Guitar Rig(may give the desired effect) and soon will buy a cheap condensor microphone
Hope to record a song soon
Thank you
Quote by shreyanstar
Okay
I will learn how to use Pro Tools, keep writing songs, use my guitar with Guitar Rig(may give the desired effect) and soon will buy a cheap condensor microphone
Hope to record a song soon
Thank you

how will pro-tools help you if you can't use a basic DAW like audacity?

what interface do you use?

why buy a cheap microphone?

don't be cheap, equipment is an investment not a chore, learn to use what you have to get the best result before spending more money.
Quote by vocoderboy
how will pro-tools help you if you can't use a basic DAW like audacity?

what interface do you use?

why buy a cheap microphone?

don't be cheap, equipment is an investment not a chore, learn to use what you have to get the best result before spending more money.

I've used Audacity and that was pretty easy..
I'm talking about using the virtual instruments in Pro Tools which I can't find in Audacity(as far my investigation goes)
My family does not support me much in this man! I'm a student, I don't earn
I do not have any microphone and yeah! I'm thinking about buying Behringer UC202 for interface..
Last edited by shreyanstar at Jul 2, 2015,
i'd recommend reason essentials as a DAW as its pretty easy to learn (hundreds of vid tuts on YT) and has a lot "in the box" to get going with. it currently doesn't support VSTS but you can buy third party devices for it via propellerhead's website.

a behringer interface is ok (really not the best) beginner interface so long as it has phantom power for a condenser mic later on.

try and get a reasonably cheap but playable electric guitar (a squire affinity strat/tele will cost under £150GDP) so you can record direct without an amp.

once you get started you can build up your knowledge and acquire equipment as you need it.
I've heard that people have copyright issues when they use preloaded loops in their songs(magix rock music maker). Is it true?
I can't say much about the guitar right now! It's next to impossible for me at least this year(my birthday was in june )
many loops are royalty free computer music magazine have a huge library of styles to download for free.
the problem with loops is people know the sound of them (i'm watching TV and i'll recognise a few samples in every advert)
tell your bhai to buy you a guitar for raksha bandhan.
Hahahahaha
Oh my god!!!!
That was actually unbelievable..
I read the name twice just to see if it's not an Indian!!
Bhai!! Amazing
Btw that's a nice idea, he may buy me one this year. I asked for it last year on rakshabandhan too all in vain
Hahahahaha
Oh my god!!!!
What should I say!! Most of the people in India don't even know what a DAW is!!!
Dude hahahaha
When you wrote "bhai", I was seriously taken aback!!
I don't know what to say seriously
Indians will be Indians forever
But still you have the same roots man
Thank you so much for your time
Surely, I will!!
What are your ultimate goals? If it's to just make music, then you can do it yourself. (Exhibit A: me.) If it's to get a band and play live, then yeah. You have a problem.

If you just want to make music and record it yourself, at minimum you'll need a microphone and/or interface and a DAW. For your DAW, do NOT use Audacity. It's absolute crap for multitrack music. Reason isn't a bad idea, but generally speaking we recommend people start with Reaper - it's free to try, very cheap to buy, and quite powerful.

Personally, I mic my amp, but you're talking about getting an interface which is fine as well. Do what works for you. It also looks like you've got the ability to compose and write stuff in Guitar Pro, which is good.

Now, you have two gaping holes in your compositions - drums and bass. If you want to play hard rock then an acoustic guitar and neither of these two things will cut it. You have a few options;

For bass, buy a cheap one and learn how to play it. If you can play guitar, you can play bass, especially rock bass. It's really easy. For drums, if you don't want to get someone else involved, get a VST plugin for your DAW. There's a tutorial floating around the Recordings forum about how to do drum parts using free samples, etc. directly in Reaper, or you can get EZ Drummer or (my personal favorite) the Steven Slate Essentials which is dirt cheap.

This is how I started out and how I currently work. But if you're really strapped for a drummer or bassist, PM me and I'll see how I can help.

CS
Quote by CarsonStevens
What are your ultimate goals? If it's to just make music, then you can do it yourself. (Exhibit A: me.) If it's to get a band and play live, then yeah. You have a problem.

If you just want to make music and record it yourself, at minimum you'll need a microphone and/or interface and a DAW. For your DAW, do NOT use Audacity. It's absolute crap for multitrack music. Reason isn't a bad idea, but generally speaking we recommend people start with Reaper - it's free to try, very cheap to buy, and quite powerful.

Personally, I mic my amp, but you're talking about getting an interface which is fine as well. Do what works for you. It also looks like you've got the ability to compose and write stuff in Guitar Pro, which is good.

Now, you have two gaping holes in your compositions - drums and bass. If you want to play hard rock then an acoustic guitar and neither of these two things will cut it. You have a few options;

For bass, buy a cheap one and learn how to play it. If you can play guitar, you can play bass, especially rock bass. It's really easy. For drums, if you don't want to get someone else involved, get a VST plugin for your DAW. There's a tutorial floating around the Recordings forum about how to do drum parts using free samples, etc. directly in Reaper, or you can get EZ Drummer or (my personal favorite) the Steven Slate Essentials which is dirt cheap.

This is how I started out and how I currently work. But if you're really strapped for a drummer or bassist, PM me and I'll see how I can help.

CS

I decided last night to download Reaper. Yes, I want to perform live(the dream I've been living for) and I believe that by starting like this, I mean by making something and then gathering people(as much my music may attract) someday, I may actually perform live and may hire some musicians to work on these days and after that I'll leave making music with DAWs and find actual people to freak out(DREAMS )
The internet is a pretty good resource.

If you have a DAW, an good audio interface, and a decent mic then you should be able to capture your voice. You might get some chords and a click track to use for laying down your vocal tracks. But you may also be able to find people online that you can share your work with and collaborate. One of my best friends moved to another country. We have a shared folder in google drive and can share files between us.

The downside of course is that we can't jam together except when we visit each other, but we can collaborate to create music.

If you're a singer you might find a guitarist, a bassist, and a drummer online that are happy to collaborate with you. However, you will have to work out with them how you share the song publicly, who gets what, who owns the copyright etc (but you should do that with a real life band too).

However, you can definitely start to get some stuff together and it may be better than just loops and stock DAW software instruments.
Si
You're wasting time with Audacity, Repeaer etc. Just get GarageBand, it's the best and most affordable multi-track DAW in my opinion. Works on Mac, iPhone and iPad so hopefully you have one of those 3 devices. GarageBand comes with hundreds of musical instrument loops you will ever need, including drums, lead guitars, acoustic guitars, bass, beats, even sitar and tabla. Just go with GarageBand and you'll be making music in no time.
Quote by 20Tigers

If you have a DAW, an good audio interface, and a decent mic then you should be able to capture your voice. You might get some chords and a click track to use for laying down your vocal tracks. But you may also be able to find people online that you can share your work with and collaborate. One of my best friends moved to another country. We have a shared folder in google drive and can share files between us.

The downside of course is that we can't jam together except when we visit each other, but we can collaborate to create music.

If you're a singer you might find a guitarist, a bassist, and a drummer online that are happy to collaborate with you. However, you will have to work out with them how you share the song publicly, who gets what, who owns the copyright etc (but you should do that with a real life band too).

However, you can definitely start to get some stuff together and it may be better than just loops and stock DAW software instruments.

Where do I get these people? With the same taste?
Quote by bryanmcand
You're wasting time with Audacity, Repeaer etc. Just get GarageBand, it's the best and most affordable multi-track DAW in my opinion. Works on Mac, iPhone and iPad so hopefully you have one of those 3 devices. GarageBand comes with hundreds of musical instrument loops you will ever need, including drums, lead guitars, acoustic guitars, bass, beats, even sitar and tabla. Just go with GarageBand and you'll be making music in no time.

I just sold my iphone last month, but I had used GarageBand in it a long time ago. I have an android app called Walk Band. It's like a high class copy of GarageBand
Quote by shreyanstar
I just sold my iphone last month, but I had used GarageBand in it a long time ago. I have an android app called Walk Band. It's like a high class copy of GarageBand

I can't tell from Walk Band's description if it includes loops. The gigantic loop library is the biggest reason to choose GarageBand, and is a direct answer to your question about what to do when you don't play or have access to multiple instruments.
Quote by bryanmcand

You're absolutely right. There's nothing like not being able to EQ anything!

Best,

Sean
Quote by 20Tigers

... But you may also be able to find people online that you can share your work with and collaborate. One of my best friends moved to another country. We have a shared folder in google drive and can share files between us.

Hey guys! so I know this forum is not for advertising but I thought you might be interested in this since you were talking about online collaborations. (If you're not please ignore my post I don't want to bother you!)

Actually it is possible to jam online We are working on a software for hobby musicians that enables you to jam live and in realtime with others and you can even record some ideas. You might wanna give it a try.

True it's not working worldwide (speed of light and that stuff set a limit to minimal latency) and it's definitely not a DAW like cubase, ableton, reaper etc. but it's fun to jam with others and it's for free so just try it
It's a great idea. I totally support you guys. As it is amazing to have dreams when you are young. I used want to be a pop music star, and I often buy music albums and concert tickets from damai website. But I gave it up. And I'm a little bit regret towards it. Hope you guys can do what you want do and don't be regret.
First, you should have talent in music and have some knowledge towards music. Then you can watch videos or live concert to study how to performance lively. For buying concert tickets, I recommend you to use en.damai.cn.
Page 1 of 2