Hey what's up guys, I Have a tube amp, its a peavey valve king, the first gen ones, yeah I know it's not the best for metal and what not but I have managed to tweak good with the EQ to get a decent metal sound although it's not that clean. I want to get an overdrive pedal that is really gonna help with the sound, I don't really mind if it's expensive since it's something worth the shot. Now before anyone tells me "If money isn't an obstacle then why don't you get another amp" Well I don't really have 2000 dollars to spend on a good high gain amp so I need to stick meanwhile with what I have and squeeze the best out of it. Thanks!!!
i use a Valveking for practice and jams. for metal i use a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive and that works great for metal. it has a 2 band eq and a mod switch that adds more gain if needed. it's a tubescreamer based pedal but i find it to be a better option for the reasons listed.
Vox Cooltron sound fantastic through the VK:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/Vox_BritBoost/vox_brit_boost.htm

Probably I've been most impressed by that one when it comes to a match to an amp.

Otherwise, my first choice would be Budda Zenman, 2nd would be the Voodoolab Sparkle Drive.
Last edited by diabolical at Jun 30, 2015,
Quote by DarkF1ame777
Hey what's up guys, I Have a tube amp, its a peavey valve king, the first gen ones, yeah I know it's not the best for metal and what not but I have managed to tweak good with the EQ to get a decent metal sound although it's not that clean. I want to get an overdrive pedal that is really gonna help with the sound, I don't really mind if it's expensive since it's something worth the shot. Now before anyone tells me "If money isn't an obstacle then why don't you get another amp" Well I don't really have 2000 dollars to spend on a good high gain amp so I need to stick meanwhile with what I have and squeeze the best out of it. Thanks!!!

have you tried boosting your amp's lead channel?
I'd have some tech mod your VK lead channel, there are some mods that have you remove the SS boost and change some components, then you possibly boost it and there you have your lead sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Amptweaker - choose for your application. Though I don't own one I was at Namm last Jan...his stuff is awesome, he created the 5150 and other legendary amps...his pedals are no joke, super flexible and reasonable for all that you get.

Definitely check out what the "TightDrive" or "TightDrivePro" can do.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Quote by Spambot_2
I'd have some tech mod your VK lead channel, there are some mods that have you remove the SS boost and change some components, then you possibly boost it and there you have your lead sound.

the button takes the boost out of the signal. with the VK the best way to go is to set the lead channel up for your rhythm sound and use an overdrive for the lead. there are some mods that can change the gain structure some though.
Check out Airis effects. Have a few overdrives specifically for metal. I haven't tried them myself but the reviews make them look promising.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by monwobobbo
the button takes the boost out of the signal.
Yeah.

More than one mod make you remove the fizzy SS gain stage, so that you can still get more gain from the amp with a lot less fizz.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You try jumping the fx loop?

Also, I'm a big fan of the Bad Monkey for a boost/overdrive pedal.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Jul 1, 2015,
I have a Maxon OD808. I love it. I haven't compared it to others. But, I love how it sounds. It's pricy. A Boss OD would probably do just nicely.
As a VK owner, I think the best bet for a metal sound is a standalone distortion pedal through the clean channel. I haven't tried the mods out though, the Mesa mod looks pretty sweet. As said before, you need to use/jump the FX loop, it really makes a difference.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Bad Monkeys pretty good for boosting
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻