Hai, I'm pretty much about to buy a new amp, and am 90% set on the Laney Ironheart 60W. Originally I planned to get the combo, but for a bunch of reasons, I think I may end up getting a head + cab for the first time.

The main thing is, I do plan to look for a band and hopefully gig at some point, but so far I'll just be using it at home, and most likely also for recording in the near future. I can get either a 1x12 cab or a 2x12 one, and I'm generally tempted to get the former, due to a) easier transportation and less space, b) I don't think I can actually make proper use of a 2x12 in this case, c) it's cheaper (duh).

My question is: is there anything I'm missing and are there any significant advantages to getting a 2x12 cab instead of a 1x12 in this case (so for home use/recording)? My idea is that once I actually do end up gigging and stuff, it would be fairly logical to get a larger cab for that, and still use the 1x12 at home - not sure if there's a flaw in my thinking here somewhere.

Thanks in advance.
personally, i say invest in a GOOD 1x12. one you plan to never get rid of.

i purchased a 2x12 and i love it. not overly cumbersome. sounds amazing and BIG. but really, as a whole its just overkill. and for home use my 50 watt setup with a 2x12 (even down to 7 watts) is too darn loud. it just is.

i would much preferred a AWESOME 1x12 with a eminence FDM maverick speaker that attenuates negative 9 DB to help out. or something.

evne for live playing, 99% of teh time you mic 1 speaker anyways. even if not, set it up elevated, and 50 watts thru 1x12 is still DARN loud.

ive been keeping track. i watch a lot of live music. a LOT. i was going to 3-4 shows a week. almost gave myself hearing damage. about 90% of the time, the guitarists are using 1x12 combos or setups, or micing 1 speaker. very very rarely do i see large amps unmiced.

i was just at a show in literally, no-wheresville. i mean mebane NC. theres nothing there. theres this private farm where they have some small stages setup. even they had PAs and power with a board. aside from somebodys birthday party in their back yard or a garage band, most people have setups to mic an amp for proper sound.

that being said, i find very little reason to have more than a 1x12 these days with a tube amp.

or you play metal, and you really need the bottom end, which really only something like a 4x12 gives. live sound, its really hard to beat that. but for metal and HUGE bottom end.

my 2x12 is great. love it. it lives in the closet or get the cops called on me.....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
personally, i say invest in a GOOD 1x12. one you plan to never get rid of.

i purchased a 2x12 and i love it. not overly cumbersome. sounds amazing and BIG. but really, as a whole its just overkill. and for home use my 50 watt setup with a 2x12 (even down to 7 watts) is too darn loud. it just is.

i would much preferred a AWESOME 1x12 with a eminence FDM maverick speaker that attenuates negative 9 DB to help out. or something.

evne for live playing, 99% of teh time you mic 1 speaker anyways. even if not, set it up elevated, and 50 watts thru 1x12 is still DARN loud.

ive been keeping track. i watch a lot of live music. a LOT. i was going to 3-4 shows a week. almost gave myself hearing damage. about 90% of the time, the guitarists are using 1x12 combos or setups, or micing 1 speaker. very very rarely do i see large amps unmiced.

i was just at a show in literally, no-wheresville. i mean mebane NC. theres nothing there. theres this private farm where they have some small stages setup. even they had PAs and power with a board. aside from somebodys birthday party in their back yard or a garage band, most people have setups to mic an amp for proper sound.

that being said, i find very little reason to have more than a 1x12 these days with a tube amp.

or you play metal, and you really need the bottom end, which really only something like a 4x12 gives. live sound, its really hard to beat that. but for metal and HUGE bottom end.

my 2x12 is great. love it. it lives in the closet or get the cops called on me.....

. are you sure it's not your playing instead of the amp. i have a 2x12 for my main amp but i also don't plug it in very often at home. now for me it's more because it's pretty damn heavy and i hate moving it. for home and recording i tend to use the 1x12 far more. a really good 1x12 cab can get you a suprising amount of low end. as for playing live the trend in many places is to go smaller and let the PA do the work. around here bars are starting to frown more and more on the 100 watt heads with 4x12 bottoms and will still grumble ablout the 2x12s at times.
Hm, in that case, does it have a significant impact on the low end?

I was looking at the Laney IRT112 which is pretty much dedicated for this amp and seems very reasonably priced. I do play metal in a large part, but also use quite a lot of cleans.

Good to hear my idea seems to make sense though and isn't as weird as I originally thought.
It's all down to the speaker really. I gig with my RM20 quite a lot these days and it's a 1x12. At first I was disappointed but after swapping the greenback for a V30 it's like a totally new amp. I actually run it on an angled amp stand sort of like a wedge with a Sennheiser E609 hanging in front of it. I can put it far closer to me than my 100W RM100 2x12 so the lower power output and fewer speakers is mostly negated.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
An oversized 1x12 can sound huge if that’s what you’re going for. If your future band ever starts playing venues big enough to justify a larger cabinet you can either rent one for gigs or just buy a used one. It’s not hard to score a used 2x12 for $200–$300 if you’re patient.
i may consider selling my 2x12...with WGS. ugh. sad day. i really do love this cab. but that means i get to buy a sexy ass 1x12...a better quality one ans really up my game!
i hope the emincence FDM speakers are good. for a 90% bedroom player it just makes sense. all these goddarn confounded blaspheming power scaling attentator setups are too complicated. a speaker that does -9 DB? no mess? adjustable up to 101 SPL of i want to go LOUDER? seem genius to me.

another thing - where do you live? major city? live in an apartment on the 9th floor? yeah think about lugging that 50 pound 2x12 down the elevator while old ladies are bringing their groceries up. 4x12? you just became the most hated man in your building.

if thats not an issue, a 2x12 i think would be perfect for most players doing heavy music. metal. a GOOD one, solid build, perhaps oversized, and quality speakers is still going to sound MASSIVE. 99% of the players out there with big cabs have SH*T cabs. some used crate or bugera BS. very few people with 4x12s actually have like a marshall 1960 or something. at least what i have seen.

if you going to do it, get quality and it WILL make a difference. but im talking heavy music where low end, super loud volumes, stage volumes near a hard hitting drummer, etc matter.

if not, i support 1x12. this is coming from a guy who promoted coming down from 4x12s to 2x12a. im setting down again.

and Cath - hes always bragging about playing through stacks. this may be the first time in the history of the forum ive seen him promote something "small"...i just about spit out my small batch bourbon when i read his post....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Or get one of those DV Mark 212 cabs, they're like 12kg
#WinWin
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by ikey_
4x12? you just became the most hated man in your building.

This part cracked me up completely.

Either way, thank you for all the replies - it seems like after all pairing the 60W head with a 1x12 might be a bad idea, and that the Laney IRT212 cab which is actually the one supposed to go with this amp will be available soon in the store. Apparently it's not light either, but will definitely be more transport-friendly than the 34kg combo.

I'm generally slightly confused over the whole thing, but it seems like the most logical option...
What speakers are in the Laney cab? Laney usually use crap speakers.
A 1x12 with a V30 is much much better than a 2x12 running say Seventy 80's

Saying that it's "supposed to go with it" is just marketing crud. The cab that is supposed to go with the GH100 is a pile of shit. A guy in a band I was in used to use my 1960A because it was so shitful.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 1, 2015,
i am biased toward 2x12"s. they aren't that more cumbersome, and i think they project a little bit better, even if mic'd (as partially with what cathbard is saying), you have it on an amp stand and using it to monitor yourself, you band mates may hear you a little better too.

for me, the BIG downfall of a 1x12" is that you only have one speaker which restricts speaker selection and amp wattage. its not always a concern, but it can be a pain in the ass.

FWIW i have probably 6 or 7 or so 4x12"s two 2x12" and i have two 1x12"s that i built that are someday going to get done.

also if i were set on a 1x12" i would look into the mesa thiele (sp?).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard
What speakers are in the Laney cab? Laney usually use crap speakers.
A 1x12 with a V30 is much much better than a 2x12 running say Seventy 80's

Saying that it's "supposed to go with it" is just marketing crud. The cab that is supposed to go with the GH100 is a pile of shit. A guy in a band I was in used to use my 1960A because it was so shitful.

Well, either way, it seems like the best option by far for the price from what I could choose from - there were some other options, but mostly either cheaper and unimpressive, or _a lot_ more expensive. And well, I have seen the amp tested through this exact 2x12 and the tone is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

And the reason why I agreed to give up on the 1x12 is because it seems like it could indeed be a bad idea to go along with a 60W head, based on my own research + the other "noob question" thread
Quote by TheLiberation

My question is: is there anything I'm missing and are there any significant advantages to getting a 2x12 cab instead of a 1x12 in this case (so for home use/recording)? My idea is that once I actually do end up gigging and stuff, it would be fairly logical to get a larger cab for that, and still use the 1x12 at home - not sure if there's a flaw in my thinking here somewhere.

There's no significant advantage to getting a 2x12 cabinet unless the speakers you intend to use don't have a high enough spec to work with the amp. The 4x12 exists, for example, ONLY because Jim Marshall needed to use four 25W speakers with his new 100W amp.

The same logic exists for "gigging and stuff"; there's little reason, either for stage volume or dispersion, for getting a 2x12 other than power handling.
Where are you located?
in Europe the Harley Benton G212 vintage is about the best deal on a cab with good speakers(V30's) you will find. In the USA whitebox and Avatar cabs are great deals and come with V30's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by TheLiberation
Hm, in that case, does it have a significant impact on the low end?

I was looking at the Laney IRT112 which is pretty much dedicated for this amp and seems very reasonably priced. I do play metal in a large part, but also use quite a lot of cleans.

You never have to buy a cabinet with the same logo as the amp head unless you want it to look all matched and pretty. And in fact, if you want significantly better low end, a 1x12 like the Mesa Thiele cabinet with an EV speaker will do better in that regard than most any other standard 1x12 that's not not in an oversized or ported cabinet.
Quote by TheLiberation

Either way, thank you for all the replies - it seems like after all pairing the 60W head with a 1x12 might be a bad idea, and that the Laney IRT212 cab which is actually the one supposed to go with this amp will be available soon in the store.
I'm generally slightly confused over the whole thing, but it seems like the most logical option...

Huh? I think the majority of folks are pointing you toward a 1x12. Why would you have concluded that the 1x12 is a bad idea?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am biased toward 2x12"s. they aren't that more cumbersome, and i think they project a little bit better, even if mic'd (as partially with what cathbard is saying), you have it on an amp stand and using it to monitor yourself, you band mates may hear you a little better too.

also if i were set on a 1x12" i would look into the mesa thiele (sp?).

My experience with 2x12s certainly doesn't match yours. You actually have *reduced* dispersion, so your bandmates won't hear you better.
Quote by dspellman
Huh? I think the majority of folks are pointing you toward a 1x12. Why would you have concluded that the 1x12 is a bad idea?

Actually. Wait. I'm confused even more now.

Let's do it the straightforward way:
This is the 112: http://www.laney.co.uk/products/product_details/160 - Power 80 watts
I'm planning to use it with the IRT60 head which is 60W.

At first I thought it would be risky to use the 112, as it would not handle the 60W (but then as above the specifications say it can handle 80W - I have no idea how exactly to read this though), and also looking at the suggestions in the other thread where there was a sort of similar question about the Peavey. In that case, is there any risk of frying the 112 cab with too much volume/power, or it should work perfectly fine even fairly loud?

And nah, the matching logo and stuff is cool of course, but I simply concluded the Laney cabs are the best options I have in this case without going way overboard with price (the whole thing is already going to cost more than I had planned), there were a few cheaper ones but it seems they're not that great (Randall RG212 for example, apparently it's also heavy as ****).
Last edited by TheLiberation at Jul 2, 2015,
You dp realise that a V30 is a 60W speaker don't you? A closed back, preferably oversized 1x12 with a V30 would be fine. Mesa, Orange, Avatar, all come with V30's.
I was fairly impressed by the Ironheart through G12T75's too, so don't fear the T75 if a bargain pops up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yep, I might in fact consider a different cab in that case (since 112s are, well, cheaper), it's just the main question right now: how does wattage exactly work in this case and if there's any risk of damaging a 1x12 cab with a 60W head? I've honestly had no experience with separate cabs so far, so I need it explained in simple terms
The speaker wattage has to be equal or greater than the power of the amp. Hence why a V30 is OK.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Excellent, thanks a lot for help.

Just to make sure, I decided to do it the straightforward way and wrote to Laney on fb they replied almost immediately! and also said it will be fine.

Now I won't be able to sleep until it arrives.
oh yeah. i forgot . i am biased again because i use "lower" wattage or micro heads, mowt will fit on a 1x12 or vertical 2x12.

obviously, if you had some monster 100 watt full size head, by size alone you may require a 2x12 just to rest it on? that makes sense. and yes, 2 speakers gives a larger range of wattage possibilities.

however, they still make 100+ watt single speakers (if those suit you) and chances are i will never need more than a 50 watter so a single V30 or something like that can cover me personally.

thats another thing with teh high wattage monsters, those big old heads gotta sit somewhere! still though, i would go for the 2x12 not a 4x12.

i mean if i was a touring musician and it was my life sure. man...a marshall 1960 sounds so huge!!! but im just....a guy. who plays at home. mostly.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
i like using 2x12's for mixing speakers. but it's not you couldn't just get another 1x12 to do the same thing.

there is no shortage of modern speakers that can easily handle 60 watts by itself.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
So, finally: I got the IRT60 with the 1x12 cab yesterday, and it's beyond amazing. It's going to take me a week or so to EQ everything the way I want, but it sounded pretty much mind-blowing to me even right after plugging in with everything at noon. Thank you all for saving me in the middle of confusion and me doing a crash course on cabs within a week

But, one more potentially derp question: is there any risk/is it in any way a bad idea to put the cab on the head? From what I've seen the general practice is to put the head on the cab, but in this case the head is slightly wider (and in fact heavier), and I'm just wondering if it's a terrible idea for any reason to do it the other way around. The cab is not that heavy, 12kg or so I think.
Quote by TheLiberation
So, finally: I got the IRT60 with the 1x12 cab yesterday, and it's beyond amazing. It's going to take me a week or so to EQ everything the way I want, but it sounded pretty much mind-blowing to me even right after plugging in with everything at noon. Thank you all for saving me in the middle of confusion and me doing a crash course on cabs within a week

But, one more potentially derp question: is there any risk/is it in any way a bad idea to put the cab on the head? From what I've seen the general practice is to put the head on the cab, but in this case the head is slightly wider (and in fact heavier), and I'm just wondering if it's a terrible idea for any reason to do it the other way around. The cab is not that heavy, 12kg or so I think.

If the cab will fit on the head no issues.

But it makes your controls at the very bottom of the stack which most people don't want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks - I still ended up putting the head on top though, as it's actually narrower in terms of depth (? not sure how to explain it but you probably get the idea).

Eh, sorry to milk this thread yet one more time, but I don't want to spam the forum: everything is beyond amazing so far, but there is a bit of a crackling noise, which was subtle and only occasional at first, but now it was pretty much constant and pretty annoying after an hour of playing or so. What could be the possible reason on a brand new amp? I did some googling and most ideas I found were related to stuff wearing out from use.
Quote by TheLiberation
Thanks - I still ended up putting the head on top though, as it's actually narrower in terms of depth (? not sure how to explain it but you probably get the idea).

Eh, sorry to milk this thread yet one more time, but I don't want to spam the forum: everything is beyond amazing so far, but there is a bit of a crackling noise, which was subtle and only occasional at first, but now it was pretty much constant and pretty annoying after an hour of playing or so. What could be the possible reason on a brand new amp? I did some googling and most ideas I found were related to stuff wearing out from use.

sounds like there is one or more bad tubes in it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Try pulling out the tubes and plugging them back in. Sometimes tubes shake loose in transit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by TheLiberation

But, one more potentially derp question: is there any risk/is it in any way a bad idea to put the cab on the head?

There's nothing anywhere that says your head and speaker cabinet need to be stacked. For a long time I used a 100W 1x12 combo to run a pair of 4x12s. No way was I going to put that combo on top of a vertical stack. It ended up on the drum riser, with a speaker cable running to the cabinet. Once we got the drummer trained to realize that it was there, we were golden.
You can get amp stands with a shelf underneath for the head. Angled amp stands are the go for a 1x12 - point it at your head.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Pull the tubes out one at a time and put them back in like these guys are saying.

If the crackle continues, try swapping some of the tube positions around and make note of any changes. You can actually use a Sharpie pen and write "1", "2", "3" etc on them to keep track.

If that doesn't help I'd spray some contact cleaner on the tube pins and work the tube in and out to clean the sockets. Like Dioxit. I'd do this anyway actually.

If that doesn't help, buy a few extra preamp tubes and swap them in. I believe these amps ship with crappy Chinese tubes but I could be wrong.

Crackling could also come from a loose insert jack or solder joint. It will get harder to troubleshoot after this point but still possible if you are patient.

Good luck with your amp. I can't wait to try one.
Thanks a lot for the answers. I'll see today if it continues, and if it does, I'll try doing as you said. Note that I'm 99% sure it's coming from the amp - it's the same with either guitar plugged in, with the noise gate on, and without any effects plugged in.

But besides that (hoping it's just loose as you're saying), the amp is seriously awesome, and already got an awesome metal tone as well as a more delicate mid-gain one.