I currently have a fender champ 20 and a Proco Rat 2 Distortion pedal, but I really want to get more pedals to experiment with certain sounds. I really know nothing about pedals tbh except what they all sound like. Im assuming considering the amp I have, a lot of the pedals would sound terrible being fed into the amp, but I'm not sure if this is true. Does a better quality amp give you better sound from pedals? Im not talking about like pedal order or anything like that, but lets say if I were to buy a better amp would the pedals sound better than if I had them being fed into my fender champ 20? The reason why I ask is because I dont want to buy all these pedals only for them to be useless with the amp I have.
That amp is a cheap SS beginner's amp. Your money is better spent on a new amp first. That's the basis of your tone.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by LikeWater
Does a better quality amp give you better sound from pedals? Im not talking about like pedal order or anything like that, but lets say if I were to buy a better amp would the pedals sound better than if I had them being fed into my fender champ 20?

Yes, this is absolutely true, but "better" doesn't really describe it.

With distortion & overdrive pedals in particular, they react and sound very different when run through different amps, so upgrading amps to fit nicer pedals makes sense there. However, if you are content with your core tone right now and would like to supplement it with delay, reverb, modulation, what have you, you don't NEED to buy nicer amp right now IF you simply wish to experiment with different sounds for fun. Those types of pedals don't rely quite as heavily on the amp's tone, but of course, are greatly supplemented when paired with something nicer.

It's a matter of whether you feel like it's your tone that's lacking, or if it's the amount of different sounds you have available to you. Quality vs. Quantity, and neither is the "better" answer
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
The best approach is always to start with a decent guitar (a generic price is 500-700 new and their equivalent on second hand market) and a tube amp that suits you. Then fit pedals accordingly to your setup of guitar and amp. A good thing is that the RAT is a nice pedal and is really versatile.

If you get pedals before amp, you may end up getting redundant pedals or pedals that sound great with the SS amp but not with the tube amp.
Quote by LikeWater
I currently have a fender champ 20 and a Proco Rat 2 Distortion pedal, but I really want to get more pedals to experiment with certain sounds. I really know nothing about pedals tbh except what they all sound like. Im assuming considering the amp I have, a lot of the pedals would sound terrible being fed into the amp, but I'm not sure if this is true. Does a better quality amp give you better sound from pedals? Im not talking about like pedal order or anything like that, but lets say if I were to buy a better amp would the pedals sound better than if I had them being fed into my fender champ 20? The reason why I ask is because I dont want to buy all these pedals only for them to be useless with the amp I have.

Yes, Yes and Yes.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Also, look for an amp with an effects loop; some effects sound 'best' between guitar and amp, some sound 'best' in the effects loop, with the usual YMMV qualification, ofc.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Gab_Azz
The best approach is always to start with a decent guitar (a generic price is 500-700 new and their equivalent on second hand market) and a tube amp that suits you. Then fit pedals accordingly to your setup of guitar and amp. A good thing is that the RAT is a nice pedal and is really versatile.

If you get pedals before amp, you may end up getting redundant pedals or pedals that sound great with the SS amp but not with the tube amp.

I currently have a MIM strat so i guess i have the $500-$700 range down. But is it recommended when making a pedal board to have it fed into a tube amp, or do solid-states do the job as well. Tube amps are pretty expensive. Got any recommendations within a $300-$500 range.
Quote by Arby911
Yes, Yes and Yes.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LikeWater
I currently have a MIM strat so i guess i have the $500-$700 range down. But is it recommended when making a pedal board to have it fed into a tube amp, or do solid-states do the job as well. Tube amps are pretty expensive. Got any recommendations within a $300-$500 range.

depends on the kind of sound you want. keep in mind that the pedals are only going to sound as good as the amp allows for. cheap amp most likely won't produce good sound regardless of the quality of the pedals. you can certainly find tube amps in the price range you mentioned especially used. what kind of music are you playing and what fx are you wanting to use?
Quote by monwobobbo
depends on the kind of sound you want. keep in mind that the pedals are only going to sound as good as the amp allows for. cheap amp most likely won't produce good sound regardless of the quality of the pedals. you can certainly find tube amps in the price range you mentioned especially used. what kind of music are you playing and what fx are you wanting to use?

Currently I'm interested in a Tame Impala-esque sound (idk if you've heard of them or him i should say). I'm mainly interested in that sort psychedelic fuzz sound if that makes sense. I really want to use a lot of effects tbh. Fuzz, Overdrive, Reverb, Phaser, Chorus, Delay, etc. I pretty much want to go all out with pedals because I dont understand how people get certain tones, thats why I want to experiment myself and see what I can find. Of course I wont be able to buy all these pedals at once, but I want an amp that can at least be able to handle every effect that can be possibly used on a pedalboard.
peavey valveking
peavey classic 30
fender blues jr
fender hot rod deluxe (the OD channel is terrible but the cleans are great).
VOX AC15 or AC30 (may be a bit high in price range)
Marshall DSL40c

they are all generic recommendations, i am unfamiliar with your music, and didn't listen to the clips. start there and see what you like, youtube is a decent place to start.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
peavey valveking
peavey classic 30
fender blues jr
fender hot rod deluxe (the OD channel is terrible but the cleans are great).
VOX AC15 or AC30 (may be a bit high in price range)
Marshall DSL40c

they are all generic recommendations, i am unfamiliar with your music, and didn't listen to the clips. start there and see what you like, youtube is a decent place to start.

Thanks I'll check them out
Quote by LikeWater

If you want to a pedalhead, Peavey Valveking is a killer budget amp for it. And at $3-500 you can pick virtually any speaker and tubes you want. They're available under $200 used any day of the week.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by LikeWater

A MIM strat in good condition should sound good. Tube amps react differently to SS amps. You had a lot of recommendations already. The tube amp is a major impact on your sound and I cannot recommend 1 amp that is great for all styles of music. If you are a pedalhead, an effects loop is highly recommended. I like my Fender HRD as almost any effect pedal works great with this amp, but this amp's distorted channel does not sound good at all.

If you are looking at new amps, a 15W amp here costs at around 600 euro. Something like a Vox AC15 or a fender blues JR. These do not have an effects loop. then between 750 and 850 there are Marshall DSL40C, Fender HRD etc... These are perfect gigging amps as they have enough headroom, and an effects loop. You may find these cheaper on the secondhand market.
Quote by tas38
If you want to a pedalhead, Peavey Valveking is a killer budget amp for it. And at $3-500 you can pick virtually any speaker and tubes you want. They're available under $200 used any day of the week.

yeah the VK will do the trick. the amp itself will get some of the tones you want. it takes pedals really well. i have one and you definitely can get some psychodelic sounds with a fuzz no problem. i'd suggest getting a wah and a delay for starters. remember that the amp is the foundation of your tone so you want pedals that compliment it.

the other amps Trashed mentioned would also work well for you.