My university currently doesn't have a club centered around guitars, and I would like to change that. The only thing is, I don't know how to make a club like that work. What would the club have to be for it to be fun? I feel like if you put ~20 guitarists of all different backgrounds in one room there's not much you can do. Anyone have any ideas/ has anyone been in a university's guitar club?
take the club on tours throughout various guitar stores, trying out all the BC Rich guitars with the lin 6 spider amp (r whatever it is now)

will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
start a "guitar club" and then all the meetings will be about learning how to make music on a laptop.
I can't imagine any context in which that would be fun. Any more than three guitarists gets too noisy and crowded, and even at two or three, you're pretty much stuck with just jamming. Start a band instead, even if you don't plan on actually writing songs. I get together with about seven or eight people and we all decide on a song to play for the next time or improvise or something.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
start a "guitar club" and then all the meetings will be about learning how to make music on a laptop.

"How To Go From Wood With Strings, To Boops And Beeps: Volume 1"
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Most uni clubs I know about organise pub crawls, or just use money for pizza/drinks and then have get together type things.

Are there clubs where people actually do things?

Admittedly I've not joined a single one so there is that.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
My uni had a live music society. They had a weekly or fortnightly (I forget) jam session and several bands formed out of it. They then had socials to see each other's bands at the local pubs. Problem with it was there were too many guitarists so if you turned up to a jam with a bass you were in constant demand! It was decent though. Do it.
That would be weird. Try to get a musician's club together. Guitarists, bassists, drummers, singers, pianists, etc. Sort everyone into weird matched up bands (metal guitarist with a jazz bassist and a classical pianists supported by a hip hop drummer) and give them two weeks to get like 5 songs down, and then have a like a cookout thing where each band plays. You'll have a community to talk about music, gear, technique, and all that good stuff, but it won't get too hectic and boring then.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Gatecrasher53
Most uni clubs I know about organise pub crawls, or just use money for pizza/drinks and then have get together type things.

Are there clubs where people actually do things?

Admittedly I've not joined a single one so there is that.

At Glasgow, there was a TT gaming society that did pub crawls, and played games. Sometimes, they combined the two, as with the legendary Talisman Pub Crawl.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Just do it. Everyone hates those kids that bring their guitars with them to school and insists on disturbing everyones studying. Put.Put um all in one place and it will give their parents a break too.
Last edited by Wormholes at Jul 1, 2015,
Quote by Wormholes
Just do it. Everyone hates those kids that bring their guitars with them to school and inissts on disturbing everyones studying. Put.Put um all in one place and it will give their parents a break too.

Plus, you might be able to get the music faculty to help out, maybe provide you with a meeting/practice space or something.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
~~~It's only after we've lost every string that we're free to play anything.~~~

~~~On a long enough timeline, the musical ability for every guitarist drops to zero.~~~

~~~We're a generation of guitarists raised by Rock Band. I'm wondering if another guitar tapping game is really the answer we need. ~~~

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 1, 2015,
Okay this is actually an easy answer.
Firstly the club's focus should be about all music and peoples love of it, where they can come in, play with people, share their expeirences, their styles and help people expand their skills and styles.
But it would help to not focus it on just guitar, allow all forms of musicians in and you'll have a club that works.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
That would be weird. Try to get a musician's club together. Guitarists, bassists, drummers, singers, pianists, etc. Sort everyone into weird matched up bands (metal guitarist with a jazz bassist and a classical pianists supported by a hip hop drummer) and give them two weeks to get like 5 songs down, and then have a like a cookout thing where each band plays. You'll have a community to talk about music, gear, technique, and all that good stuff, but it won't get too hectic and boring then.

this is actually a neat idea
ayy lmao
Go on a looting spree. If caught, blame your preference for metal music.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
I do the same thing as this, except with ukuleles, because ukuleles can be lead and played in unison because nearly everyone is purely a rhythm player.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by smb
My uni had a live music society. They had a weekly or fortnightly (I forget) jam session and several bands formed out of it. They then had socials to see each other's bands at the local pubs. Problem with it was there were too many guitarists so if you turned up to a jam with a bass you were in constant demand! It was decent though. Do it.

Damn, I wish my music society was like that. Only 5 out of 15 people played an instrument (including me) and we just improvised once or twice but never really "clicked". Everyone was so disorganized that nothing ever became of the society and it died out. We had a pizza night once and watched a red hot chili peppers documentary.

Sounds like yours was pretty fun and legit.