Hey guys
So I picked up a used Fender 57 AVRI the other day (amazing guitar btw) and the back of the neck just feels grimy and nasty. Dose anyone have any suggestions on how to clean it and make it more smooth and slick.

Thanks
Zippo lighter fluid. Don't smoke while cleaning. Should get all the gunk off.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.

Use some Meguiar's Cleaner Wax on it. Liquid stuff in the burgundy bottle works very well.
If the neck is finished in nitro (& I'm pretty sure that those are), it might stay like that for a while. Nitro can take years to fully cure. Once it has, though, the 'stickyness' will go away.

Until that time, just play it frequently and wipe down afterwards.
Quote by sinofian
If the neck is finished in nitro (& I'm pretty sure that those are), it might stay like that for a while. Nitro can take years to fully cure. Once it has, though, the 'stickyness' will go away.

Until that time, just play it frequently and wipe down afterwards.

Nitro never cures. Technically, it just dries. And sometimes it doesn't, ever. Nitro is especially susceptible to moisture when it's fresh, so if the previous owner was sweaty, it may remain sticky. It can be degraded by moisture and may never recover.

A paint like nitro that only dries can be dissolved in its original solvent. That's why you never use solvents like acetone or lacquer thinner to clean it (naptha is okay).

A paint that cures (tung oil/linseed oils both dry -- release solvents -- and cure as the oxygen in the air reacts with them to create a much harder polymer, and neither can be dissolved in their original solvent at that point). Paints like UV-catalyzed polyester cure in the presence of UV light and are usually hard within a couple of hours. They will not be able to be dissolved in their original solvents, either.
My LP Custom has that same issue w the nitro finish getting sticky after a while. I think you just have to wipe it down every time you play.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Would the super-high grit sandpaper trick work here?
Take something like 2400 grit and very lightly rub the neck. You don't want to take anything off, just smooth what's there.
It works great on all my finished necks. None of those are nitro, though.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I find that the Gibson polish is great for cleaning up the neck on my SG when it gets sticky.
I babysat a '73 SG for a friend for about a year. The original nitro finish was very sticky still.
Quote by ryanbwags
Would the super-high grit sandpaper trick work here?
Take something like 2400 grit and very lightly rub the neck. You don't want to take anything off, just smooth what's there.
It works great on all my finished necks. None of those are nitro, though.

It doesn't help sticky nitro.

Nitro is sticky for a different reason than a finished, cured neck done in a modern finish.

The sandpaper thing helps break surface tension that causes your thumb to stick a bit when damp on new glossy (polywhatever) finishes. Over time your neck develops its own "micro-scratches" and you really don't have an issue any more.
Quote by dspellman
It doesn't help sticky nitro.

Nitro is sticky for a different reason than a finished, cured neck done in a modern finish.

The sandpaper thing helps break surface tension that causes your thumb to stick a bit when damp on new glossy (polywhatever) finishes. Over time your neck develops its own "micro-scratches" and you really don't have an issue any more.

That's why I asked. I have zero experience with nitro finishes.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals