So I'm looking to replace my first guitar after 3 years of service, and have my heart set on the Jackson JS32 Warrior. I then plan to hotrod it, starting with the pickups and the licensed floyd rose.

So the question is, does anyone know if an original floyd (or a Schaller one) has the same mounting dimensions as theJackson licensed floyd? That is, is it a drop-in replacement?

Many thanks
Well, according to this, yes.

The Floyd Rose Special Series Locking Nut R-3 is an Authentic version of a licensed Floyd Rose tremolo system manufactured in Korea exclusively for Floyd Rose. The Floyd Rose Special maintains the construction parameters and features of an Original Floyd Rose, while utilizing zinc alloy saddles in place of steel and a zinc alloy sustain block in place of brass. The design specifications and high quality materials of the Special Series Floyd Rose bridge will hold up to the demands of today's performers.

The R3 Nut is designed for guitars with neck widths of 1-11/16" (42.90mm) and a 10" radius.

In other words, as long as the neck width and radius is compatible with an Original Floyd Rose (which it should be), then it should be easy to install an Original Floyd Rose.

However, it is worth noting that Jackson Select models actually use the Original Floyd Rose anyway. If I were you, I would invest a little more in a Select model.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 1, 2015,
The Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose is different from a Floyd Rose Special ^

However, a friend of mine put a Schaller Lockmeister successfully on his JS32 Dinky, which had a Licensed Jackson FR. But the sustain block of a Schaller Lockmeister and OFR is bigger than the one in Jackson LFR. The Jackson LFR sustain block is 34mm, the Schaller Lockmeister comes with a 42mm sustain block. My friend bought a smaller sustain block separately.

Also, the nut of the Jackson LFR is R4. Buy a Lockmeister or an OFR that comes with a R4 nut.

Like crazysam said, if I were you, I would save a bit more and buy a better Jackson with an OFR (or Floyd Rose Special, which is better than the Jackson LFR, the X series for example has a FR Special) and with better pickups. Buying a JS32 and then mod it, would cost as much as buying a better Jackson guitar.

Plus, buying that low end JS32, you could have bad fret work, worse quality woods and materials, etc, and that can't be fixed. Well, the frets can, but it is way too expensive. If you buy a higher end Jackson guitar, you would have none of these problems.
Last edited by DanyFS at Jul 1, 2015,
[quote="crazysam23_Atax
However, it is worth noting that Jackson Select models actually use the Original Floyd Rose anyway. If I were you, I would invest a little more in a Select model.[/QUOTE"]

Thanks for the link.

If I spent £200 more there's a model with a FR Special, and if I went the whole hog and spent ~£400 more there'd be one with the pickups I want and an Original FR. So it will work out cheaper (and be more fun and rewarding) to DIY it.
Where are you located?

You may be better off getting a used X Series (or higher). Guitar Center Used has one with a Floyd (of some sort) for $350 with a case. You may want to look into that one for what type of Floyd and pickups are in it. It will probably be a better quality base than the JS32 anyhow if it's not beat to hell.

A new JS32 is $350. A Schaller (which should drop right in) is $200. OFR is a little less. Decent pickups estimate $100+ each so another $200+. You're up to $750+ assuming you can do the work yourself.

If you do buy new perhaps you hold off on replacing the Special Floyd for when (or if) you ever need to. Just throw a brass sustain block on it instead of the zinc and see how you like it.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Replacing a Floyd Rose on a guitar so cheap makes little financial sense.

I'd only ever replace a Floyd on a Jackson if it's one of the older bolt-on MIJ guitars. Not a JS.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I'm on the fence about these two as possible (more expensive) alternatives.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid32105/cid671/jackson-soloist-slx-taxi-cab-yellow.asp
Slightly cheaper than doing the work myself, but still 'just another strat'.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid37885/cid671/jackson-wrxmg-warrior-rosewood-fingerboard-matte-army-drab.asp
Most expensive option, and from what I've played from EMG I'm very unsure about the p'ups on it, and a couple of Duncans will set me back another £120.

I guess what I need to do now is just try a load and see what I like. But now I know a decent Floyd will just drop in I can at least consider it as an option.

Thanks for the help and speed of reply
Quote by Robi_g123
So it will work out cheaper (and be more fun and rewarding) to DIY it.

Except it won't be as good of quality. Even if you replace the bridge, the pickups, etc. ...you'll still be left with lesser quality wood and workmanship. It's better to spend 400pounds more than it is to spend the same amount* and then still end up with a device of lesser quality.

*I don't think it's too much of a jump in logic to say a Floyd Rose Original bridge and a great set of pickups would be around 400pounds. Even if it's less than 400pounds, you're still left with lesser quality wood and workmanship in the first place.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 1, 2015,
Quote by Robi_g123
I'm on the fence about these two as possible (more expensive) alternatives.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid32105/cid671/jackson-soloist-slx-taxi-cab-yellow.asp
Slightly cheaper than doing the work myself, but still 'just another strat'.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid37885/cid671/jackson-wrxmg-warrior-rosewood-fingerboard-matte-army-drab.asp
Most expensive option, and from what I've played from EMG I'm very unsure about the p'ups on it, and a couple of Duncans will set me back another £120.

I guess what I need to do now is just try a load and see what I like. But now I know a decent Floyd will just drop in I can at least consider it as an option.

Thanks for the help and speed of reply

I'm not so sure about the Duncan Design pups on the soloist, but depending on the type of music you play, the EMGs could be good. However, even though I play metal, I'm not a fan of them either, I more of a passive pickups guy. So if you don't like them, I totally understand you

Yes, trying them out would be best.
18v modding the EMG's is incredibly simple and alleviates what gives stock EMG's their bad rep in the first place.

If you aren't sure you'll like the EMG's, Consider doing that first.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

However, it is worth noting that Jackson Select models actually use the Original Floyd Rose anyway. If I were you, I would invest a little more in a Select model.

which ones are the jackson select models?

stupid jackson site seems to be acting up currently.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well if you want the Soloist then more options open up. The X Warrior is a better option than the JS.

Try the EMGs and the Floyd Special before you swap them out right away.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Replacing a Floyd Rose on a guitar so cheap makes little financial sense.

I'd only ever replace a Floyd on a Jackson if it's one of the older bolt-on MIJ guitars. Not a JS.

+3.1415 get a nicer model and you will get a nicer guitar all around.

also, duncan designed pickups are pretty bad.

as far as EMG pickups, if they aren't your choice, you could yank them and post them for trade for a pair of SD's or whatever, and you wouldn't be out as much.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dave_Mc

Well, they're all named "Jackson Select (insert model)".

Quote by trashedlostfdup
also, duncan designed pickups are pretty bad.

No, they're not. Cheap pickups are always bad. Duncan pickups, on the whole, are excellent. Quit spouting off shit-talk.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 2, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc

There's no Jackson select. There's Jackson Custom Select. Which can be either custom-made to your specs or special (limited) editions with uncommon features.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax at #33481140

No, they're not. Cheap pickups are always bad. Duncan pickups, on the whole, are excellent. Quit spouting off shit-talk.

'Duncan Designed' pickups are not the same as Seymour Duncan Pickups. Duncan Designed means that the pickups are basically cheaper, shittier copies of actual Duncans. So I'd advise revoking the 'shit-talk' statement.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
'Duncan Designed' pickups are not the same as Seymour Duncan Pickups. Duncan Designed means that the pickups are basically cheaper, shittier copies of actual Duncans. So I'd advise revoking the 'shit-talk' statement.

Duncan Designed are Korean OEM versions of Seymour Duncans. They're neither shitty nor pretty bad. I don't know if they as good as SDs. Perhaps someone who has compared both on the same guitar can chime in.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
(a) Well, they're all named "Jackson Select (insert model)".

(b) No, they're not. Cheap pickups are always bad. Duncan pickups, on the whole, are excellent. Quit spouting off shit-talk.

(a) Do you mean the USA select series? I could be wrong, but that's the only model with "select" in the title which I'm aware of.

You realise they're about 10 times the cost of what he's looking at?

You basically told someone who wants to buy a budget family hatchback that he should save up for a ferrari instead.

(b) LOL. That kind of dismissive demeanour might fly in the Music Theory forum where you (maybe, sort of half) know what you're talking about, but it doesn't fly here. Especially when you're talking to a regular who does know what he's talking about.

Duncan Designeds aren't the same as the USA-made Seymour Duncans.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/duncan-designed/

As all the other regulars have said already.

Quote by dthmtl3
There's no Jackson select. There's Jackson Custom Select. Which can be either custom-made to your specs or special (limited) editions with uncommon features.

Yeah that's what I thought, and why I asked. I don't keep that close of an eye on the Jacksons these days, but I still have more than a passing familiarity with them, and I wasn't aware of them.

Either way, not really a viable option for someone who's looking into the JS series, I fear.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 2, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) Do you mean the USA select series? I could be wrong, but that's the only model with "select" in the title which I'm aware of.

You realise they're about 10 times the cost of what he's looking at?

You basically told someone who wants to buy a budget family hatchback that he should save up for a ferrari instead.

If he wants better quality, yeah...he should spend a few hundred more. I mean, maybe the Select isn't the best fit for him. But I was just giving an example. My main point was, why spend just as much on modding a guitar, end up with substandard stuff anyway, etc.? You could easily spend $700 or so and get exactly what TS is talking about (without modding). So, my bad if you thought I was saying he should go spend a couple grand; that was bad wording on my part.

(b) LOL. That kind of dismissive demeanour might fly in the Music Theory forum where you (maybe, sort of half) know what you're talking about, but it doesn't fly here. Especially when you're talking to a regular who does know what he's talking about.

Duncan Designeds aren't the same as the USA-made Seymour Duncans.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/duncan-designed/

As all the other regulars have said already.
Meh.

A blanket statement like "Duncan designed pickups suck" doesn't fly with me either. So...meh. If you folks don't like that I basically made you clarify, I don't really care. I doubt TS really knows the difference between Duncan designed and USA SD pickups. You guys like to assume that the terminology is something everyone uses (and therefore gets), when some of us different terms.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 2, 2015,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
(a) If he wants better quality, yeah...he should spend a few hundred more. I mean, maybe the Select isn't the best fit for him. But I was just giving an example. My main point was, why spend just as much on modding a guitar, end up with substandard stuff anyway, etc.? You could easily spend $700 or so and get exactly what TS is talking about (without modding). So, my bad if you thought I was saying he should go spend a couple grand; that was bad wording on my part.

Meh.

(b) A blanket statement like "Duncan designed pickups suck" doesn't fly with me either. So...meh. If you folks don't like that I basically made you clarify, I don't really care. I doubt TS really knows the difference between Duncan designed and USA SD pickups. You guys like to assume that the terminology is something everyone uses (and therefore gets), when some of us different terms.

(a) I absolutely agree that it's a false economy to upgrade a really cheap guitar, and that spending a bit more to get something which is a lot better out of the box is normally a good idea (assuming you can afford it).

That's a bit different from telling someone to spend 10 times as much.

I'm also not sure about the $700 thing. I'm not sure there are that many, if any, $700 guitars with original floyd roses (i.e. the schaller/german-made one, not the cheaper, korean-made FRT-x000, which is adequate but not quite as nicer as the schaller- and gotoh-made double-locking trems).

(b) But you made a much worse blanket statement yourself:

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Cheap pickups are always bad.

That's a much bigger blanket statement than "Duncan Designed pickups are bad".

(I don't have a massive amount of experience with Duncan Designed, but there's no doubt they're different from the main, pro quality USA-made Duncans.)

That's a fair point about assuming the TS might know more than he/she actually does (though if he's aware that Schaller makes good quality Floyd Rose-style trems there's a fair chance he's aware of the difference between Seymour Duncan and Duncan Designed )- trashed certainly wasn't trying to mislead, he just posted quickly (as most of us do from time to time). Most of us (including your friends over at MT) could probably do with expanding a bit on our sometimes too concise posts, but on the other hand you don't want to put regulars off from posting if they have to post a paragraph clarifying everything they mean in minute detail every time they post.

I don't think anyone uses different terms from "Duncan Designed" versus "Seymour Duncan". If you aren't aware of the difference, that's absolutely fair enough (you could make a pretty good case that putting more effort into playing than into poring over all the gear all the time might be a good idea ), but it's not true that people use different terms.

Also I find it pretty bemusing that you're acting like we're pedantic here. You've read threads in MT, right? What would happen if one of the EG regulars posted a thread over there with a slightly incorrect definition of modes?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 2, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc

-snip-

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. My budget stretches to more than the cost of a base JS32, I was looking at many options, one of which was to buy a cheaper guitar and mod' it up to spec.
My post was just to check if an original Floyd Rose would drop into the liscensed floyd on the JS32, if it didn't then I'd need to consider the prep and extra work that would go with the extra woodwork.
I was going to try the Duncan Designed pickups on the other guitars and then decide later down the road if I wanted to replace them.
But again, thanks (everyone) for the help, I probably won't mod the cheap Jackson now (from reading this thread and after some more research), and will (probably) save up a bit more for a DK2-pro instead -it was basically what I was aiming for in the first place and will last me years), then muck around with my old guitar where it won't matter so much if I break something.
^ Yeah, if you can stretch to the DK2 Pro, that's probably better. I haven't tried the newer MIM models, but the older MIJs were sweet. Just bear in mind- as I said earlier in the the thread, the trem is an frt-x000 rather than the Schaller-made OFR. It's definitely usable, and good enough that you won't need to instantly bin it, and may well be good enough that you never see the need to upgrade it- but it's not quite as nice (both in how it's made and in use) as the German-made OFR. I emailed Floyd Rose a while back and they said it was a direct swap for the OFR, though, but I haven't tried the swap myself.

Here's some info on the difference between the two trems: http://dellus.net/updates/original-floyd-rose-german-vs-korean/
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave - just to clarify, are you saying that the flood on the MIJ dk2 can be swapped out for an ofr like this - http://www.gak.co.uk/en/floyd-rose-original-tremolo-kit-frt-200-black/32321?gclid=CJPwvrz9v8YCFSoTwwodsYYDGw ?

I've always been tempted but after looking at the price prob won't bother as the one on it is pretty decent

Edit - just to try and be helpful to the OP. Save up and get something like the DK2 or whatever the current equivalent model is in the Jackson range. Good enough to play and not upgrade and not so expensive that you're worried about dings.
It should also be worth spending on of you do get the urge later for upgrades.

If the MIM Jackson guitars are as good as the MIM fenders that I've played, you'll be happy with it
Last edited by -Ed- at Jul 3, 2015,
Quote by -Ed- at #33483037
Dave - just to clarify, are you saying that the flood on the MIJ dk2 can be swapped out for an ofr like this - http://www.gak.co.uk/en/floyd-rose-original-tremolo-kit-frt-200-black/32321?gclid=CJPwvrz9v8YCFSoTwwodsYYDGw ?

Yes. I've done the exact same thing to my MIJ DK2M. But instead used a Schaller Lockmeister because it was cheaper in price than the OFR despite being pretty much identical to it in every way.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah, I haven't done the swap myself but most people who have seem to say it's a direct swap, in most cases at least.

another handy link :

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm#jt580lp

(I haven't corroborated the info in that link, just to clarify. )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?