Hi 🙋

I have a big dilemma. I'm looking for multi-effects unit. Currently i own Tonelab ST. It's okay, amps sound sweet, but the effects don't sound good at all.

What should it have? Well, first of all, i don't need amp sims when playing live, so i'd like to have an option to turn the amp sims off (or i don't need them at all).

Secondly, the effects should sound good, and this is the most important thing I use some overdrives and fuzzes (no heavy distortions), reverbs, delays, tremolo. I rarely use flangers, pitch shifting, octavers, flangers and phasers, though I think I may use some 'weird' effects, like POG, filters etc.

Thirdly, it should be portable and fit in my gig bag.

Hm, what's more...probably i don't need looper and expression pedal, 'cause i don't use wah's, whammies and so on.

USB connection is a plus, but only if an effect sounds good. Like I said, the sound quality is the most important to me

Oh, i play a custom single channel combo which doesn't have effects loop, if that's important.

I did some research, and there are few effects in my budget (which is 150&euro
-Line6 M5 or M9 - It's one of the most encouraging to me, it has really good opinions, people seem to love it.
-Zoom G3 - Well, it has fantastic opinions too. Unfortunately, i have never tried any Zoom's device.
-Boss Me-25 - Some people say that Bosses are dated, but generally positive opinions here as well.
-Digitech RP360/355 - A long time ago i tried old RP350 and it sounded horrible. I assume that new devices sound better.

Your suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks for responses in advance!
Last edited by sudokuu at Jul 2, 2015,
i haven't played a digitech processor in a long time, but i have tried several and was always disappointed. again, i don't think i have touched on in a few years.

i do think boss is dated. IMO they are behind the pack currently.

the m-9 is very nice IMO, worth a look. i know you are on a budget, but i think it may be worth springing to the m-13. i will let somebody else chime in on that.

zoom has come a long way since i got mine (won in a guitar competition a long time ago), i messed around with one a few months ago and it was cool. i think that overall they are on the up and up.

i think line 6 is leading the game now and has been for a while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Another vote here for the Line 6. It's basically just a bunch of stompboxes, so nothing particularly complicated. Also. Line 6 tends to get a lot of love for their reverb, modulation and delay effects (hence why so many pros use DL4s).
When I was shopping for a multi effect unit for my board, I chose the Zoom G3 over a Line 6.

I was generally unimpressed with Digitech & Vox. I'd owned a Boss ME50 in the past and was unimpressed with it's drives (although modulations & delays were good). The newer Boss units appeared to be a downgrade in quality in order to provide more quantity.

For me, the current Zooms are equal to Line 6 PODs & M series for the majority of effects (both have strengths & weaknesses, but overall they're on a par with each other). I chose Zoom because they were much more user friendly and had a lot of extra features unavailable on Line 6 unless you buy their higher end models. Both are worthy of investigation though, and should be tried to determine which you prefer.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
the m-9 is very nice IMO, worth a look. i know you are on a budget, but i think it may be worth springing to the m-13. i will let somebody else chime in on that.

zoom has come a long way since i got mine (won in a guitar competition a long time ago), i messed around with one a few months ago and it was cool. i think that overall they are on the up and up.

I think that M9 would be totally fine for me, probably I would not use all m13's functions, and i'm going to buy two or three stomps after i buy multi fx. (I use my friend's TS-9 as a clean boost, I'm not sure if multi fx can replace it).

So, summing up, you think that I should reject Bosses and Digitechs?

I'd owned a Boss ME50 in the past and was unimpressed with it's drives (although modulations & delays were good).

Yeah, I bet this one is good for that. I saw a rig rundown of King of Leon's guitarist on YT, he uses the Boss on stage.

For me, the current Zooms are equal to Line 6 PODs & M series for the majority of effects

Tough choice. There are plenty of comparisons of Line6 versus analog stomps, so it's easier to check it. There are only few comparisons of Zoom and analog stomps. I wish i could compare those two head to head, but apparently the are no M-series devices in musical stores nearby.
I prefer L6 , but realize the M5/M9 does not have amp/cab sims. If you need amp sims, the L6 POD HD300/400 could be doable

I'd have to take the M9 because you can use more than 1 fx at a time, but if you don't use but 1 fx at a time, the M5 will work just fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Doesn't seem like the M9 fits your stated budget. But if it does then go for it. Otherwise the G3 is a good choice.
M9 is solid. Only functionality I wish it has was the ability to utilise the 4 cable method
I'd never owned a Zoom product prior to the G3 either. Benefits relevant to your post as follows:

The price - only Digitech has cheaper unit of any reasonable quality.

Quality/features - a lot of excellent, usable effects. From all the classics through to the trippiest filters. Optional amp sims will let you go direct to board in an emergency. 40 second Looper, USB.. it's small and really easy to use.

Choice of individual stompbox mode or use patches with up to 6 effects combined. No patch switch lag either - this was the clincher for me, and why I didn't buy another Digitech.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
Ok, so the final battle is between G3 and M5/M9. There was no other device recommended by You guys. (Unless there's someone who has and idea for other multi fx?).

According to your comments, M series probably sounds a little bit better, but G3 has USB, which i think i might use some day