Page 1 of 2
hahaha jk, sorry to get your hopes up. UG could use excitement like that

why have people always felt the need to leave suicide notes? according to google, the oldest known suicide note is from ancient egypt; why is it such an engrained part of the human psyche? why do people care what people think of them when they're dead and gone?
because people want to provide some sort of comfort and closure to the ones that they cared about in life.
Quote by ErikLensherr at #33480384
That wasn't funny :-(

yeah it was lmao

but on second thought maybe you should get help if you don't understand why people leave suicide notes. family or friends might be the reason why people put off committing suicide for a while and if that seems alien to you maybe you should be seeing a therapist
Quote by Thrashtastic15
because people want to provide some sort of comfort and closure to the ones that they cared about in life.

Wrong.

It's about attention and making other people care what you have to say by attaching the automatic gravitas of your death to it.

Most people don't give a crap what anyone else has to say. Making it the last thing you say before you die forces them to stop and listen. Or, at least, that's what you tell yourself when you're writing it. In reality, most people are still too self-absorbed to care.
Quote by Not a Les Paul at #33480405
Wrong.

It's about attention and making other people care what you have to say by attaching the automatic gravitas of your death to it.

Most people don't give a crap what anyone else has to say. Making it the last thing you say before you die forces them to stop and listen. Or, at least, that's what you tell yourself when you're writing it. In reality, most people are still too self-absorbed to care.

Nice Arby911 impression. Thanks for speaking on behalf of "most people" and also on behalf of people who leave suicide notes.
Free Ali
Quote by Not a Les Paul at #33480405
Wrong.

have you experienced anyone you seriously cared about dying? lack of closure destroys the loved ones who have to cope with the loss. in the case of a suicide it is even worse. that tears people apart. a suicide note is intended to provide closure and context to the people the author cared about.

if your response to hearing the final words of a loved one is "they just want attention and im being forced to oblige them because they are dead" you have severe issues.
hahahaha?

No, there is nothing funny about that you pathetic ****ing scumbag of a human. Go kill yourself for real.
Quote by genghisgandhi
why do people care what people think of them when they're dead and gone?

because we all fear death to some degree and want to feel like we're immortalized in some way. you will probably say, "fuck that, i don't care" because you think you're edgy but when you're dying or nearing death you will probably think differently.
Quote by genghisgandhi
hahaha jk, sorry to get your hopes up.

Damn

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Wormholes
hahahaha?

No, there is nothing funny about that you pathetic ****ing scumbag of a human. Go kill yourself for real.

This is worse than or at least comparable to what he said tho
My God, it's full of stars!
as mentioned above, closure

it obviously doesn't make the situation any better for family/friends - they won't be like "oh he killed himself because of ________ so there wasn't anything we could've done now we can relax" - but it is something which can help to ease the pain gradually. It is better than nothing.
cat
Well there is SOME truth to what not a les Paul said, but it's not as black and white as "I'm going to force you all to care about me now that I'm dead."

People caring about that person after they do it is something that happens, but that doesn't mean it's why they wrote the note.

I'd imagine the note is a way to say the words that they really wanted to say in person, but never could or, very sadly, nobody cared properly enough. It's harder to ask somebody to care about you the way you want/need to than it is to write it down on paper and show just how important it was to him/her.

But I think reasons vary for different people.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jul 2, 2015,
I'd write a suicide note just to explain my motivations. A lot of friends and family beat themselves up over "why?" and "what could I have done to prevent this?" I'd try to address both and throw in a nice goodbye.
#DTWD
I wonder about the statistics on how many people actually do leave notes. Whilst it seems like a standard stereotype of note on the table, part of me is sceptical that many people in that mental state would actually be in the mindset to plan ahead in that way.
But that's pure speculation.

EDIT: my suspicions were correct, there's been studies putting the number at around 25-35%, and some suggesting lower.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Jul 2, 2015,
A final expression of resentment towards those who caused your depression, letting them know that they are at least partially responsible.

A self-important gesture that has to do with legacy panic or something.

A genuine attempt to help people understand your helplessness.

I dunno, it depends on the person.

EDIT: I guess the overarching idea is that in some way it's slightly comforting for the self-ending party.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 2, 2015,
Quote by Wormholes
hahahaha?

Can we not tell people to kill themselves as an insult? That shits for edgy teenagers.
Quote by Not a Les Paul
It's about attention and making other people care what you have to say by attaching the automatic gravitas of your death to it

i won't say you're entirely wrong but you're not entirely correct either
Quote by Not a Les Paul
Wrong.

It's about attention and making other people care what you have to say by attaching the automatic gravitas of your death to it. .

lol

ur a little ****

this entire post was about attention grabbing though and i fell for it tho, so hey
ayy lmao
Quote by Not a Les Paul
Wrong.

I really hope you're just doing a spot on impression of a few users on this site.
Quote by chrismendiola
OP is edgier than a truncated dodecahedron.

dayum

Also are we really sure suicide notes are that common or are we just presuming they are because it happens in so many cheesy Hollywood movies? Genuine question, I'm interested about the statistics.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
dayum

Also are we really sure suicide notes are that common or are we just presuming they are because it happens in so many cheesy Hollywood movies? Genuine question, I'm interested about the statistics.
Check comment #21.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
You got me TS. Mainly cause I thought online suicide would be something that you would do.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Through early morning fog I see...
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by Joshua Garcia
I'd imagine the note is a way to say the words that they really wanted to say in person, but never could or, very sadly, nobody cared properly enough. It's harder to ask somebody to care about you the way you want/need to than it is to write it down on paper and show just how important it was to him/her.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
A genuine attempt to help people understand your helplessness.

My couple of notes were exactly these, telling people that I cared and would miss them immensely and why I couldn't stand to be here anymore. I thought they would get closure for it. I only left them sometimes, mostly for the ones that I ended up cowering out of, not the ones that failed.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I spent a good page talking about my history with depression and how it changed over the years. Did a lot of "it's not your fault, it's my fault, it's just a thing" (paraphrased obviously). Spent the next three or four pages to write specific feeling and gratitude, to each member of my family individually (i wrote a bit for everyone).

I can't rmember what it actually said. it's at the police department if i ever care to get it, and iodn't think I would

there is just some sort of innate desire to write a note (more so if you have good relationships with people and they don't want you to get hurt). It gives yourself a little closure, and though it probably messes with your family regardless of what you said, it's the words that you've always wanted to tell them
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Last edited by Baby Joel at Jul 2, 2015,
Quote by Baby Joel at #33480837
I spent a good page talking about my history with depression and how it changed over the years. Did a lot of "it's not your fault, it's my fault, it's just a thing" (paraphrased obviously). Spent the next three or four pages to write specific feeling and gratitude, to each member of my family individually (i wrote a bit for everyone).

I can't rmember what it actually said. it's at the police department if i ever care to get it, and iodn't think I would

there is just some sort of innate desire to write a note (more so if you have good relationships with people and they don't want you to get hurt). It gives yourself a little closure, and though it probably messes with your family regardless of what you said, it's the words that you've always wanted to tell them

"hello

sorry for ruining UG. this is my last post IRL. also, post and post.

Baby Joel
UG Staff"
Free Ali
Wait... Baby Joel tried to commit suicide?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Wait... Baby Joel tried to commit suicide?

Where've you been lol.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Where've you been lol.

Here. was it during or before the time he "left"

#discussingitrightinfrontofhim
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 2