Hey guys, so I wanna build a stationary miniature elevator for a friend of mine. It's not gonna go up or down, but it will hopefully operate like a regular elevator with the lights and sliding doors and dings.

I have no idea how to start this lol. I need electronic components but I'm not sure which ones. I'm mostly worried about the electrical part of it since the frame and stuff like that will be easier. Hopefully someone here knows about robotics and electronics?

The elevator I wanna do is very very similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZQj9Gn940

Thanks....
goddamn...

fridges, bridges... and now elevators?

Wtf is this... ultimate-engineering.com???

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

In fairness, ultimate-engineering.com's forums have a lot of guitar related threads.
this is a simple task but just to play it safe i strongly recommend you get a degree in electrical engineering first

see you in 4 years
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by Rossenrot
In fairness, ultimate-engineering.com's forums have a lot of guitar related threads.

This world is filled with such intrigue...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
That dude in your vid is freakishly huge
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
I have nothing to contribute on the technical aspect, but can I advise you to change your name to Schindler, so you can call this Schindler's Lift?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
That company could literally dump a shipload of oil directly on baby seals and still be the best company ever
So basically a box with sliding doors?
I have two ideas. Neither are particularly efficient but they're easy to build.

If the elevator is tiny, you can use stepper motors from DVD drives. These can be found cheap at thrift stores or for free from the trash. One motor for each door.
If it's a bit bigger, you can use the belt drive from an inkjet printer. The DC motor, gears and timing belt are already in place. Attach one door to the top of the belt and the other door to the bottom so they slide apart when the belt moves.
Either motor type can be controlled with an H-bridge such as the L293D.
Hope that makes sense.
Quote by Goad
Hey guys, so I wanna build a stationary miniature elevator for a friend of mine. It's not gonna go up or down, but it will hopefully operate like a regular elevator with the lights and sliding doors and dings.

I have no idea how to start this lol. I need electronic components but I'm not sure which ones. I'm mostly worried about the electrical part of it since the frame and stuff like that will be easier. Hopefully someone here knows about robotics and electronics?

Thanks....

Then you're not the right guy for the job.

You're not building an elevator, you're building a sliding door.

But yeah, a power source, a few steppers or linear actuators, limit switches, lights, bell and a small PLC and you're pretty much ready to go.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Alternatively, you could build a shrink ray and use it on an actual elevator.

Be sure to ask the people who own the building the elevator is in for permission though
Quote by ultimate-slash at #33481330
Alternatively, you could build a shrink ray and use it on an actual elevator.

Be sure to ask the people who own the building the elevator is in for permission though

This is a much better idea
Quote by Goad at #33480480
It's not gonna go up or down, but it will hopefully operate like a regular elevator with the lights and sliding doors and dings.

Last I checked, regular elevators don't go diagonally or horizontally. You want your elevator to operate like a regular elevator without elevating?
Free Ali
Free Lard
Depends exactly how u want the lights (lift) to operate.

If u only needed one sequence, i.e. call lift, lights go up, doors open then close, and then lights go back down, it could be done pretty easily using a timer, ripple counter, and some logic chips, plus motors to open the doors.

who is this for btw?
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Weaponized
If my friend built me elevators I would stop being friends with him

Exactly. What's wrong with a nice bouquet of flowers? Building elevators makes you a show off.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
flowers are too cliche'
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Xiaoxi
goddamn...

fridges, bridges... and now elevators?

After years of playing shred guitar, you begin to think in patterns and get good fingers, but you will have little chance of a job.

Taking up engineering is only logical.

Can we call it an elevator if it doesn't go up or down? Isn't it just a closet then?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 3, 2015,
Quote by icanhasgodmode
That dude in your vid is freakishly huge

She's clearly a giantess. I bet she can swallow people whole.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Thanks guys for the tips

Yeah, it's pretty much gonna be a box with sliding doors, and little lights to simulate that the elevator is going up or down. And the ding when the doors open.

I already bought her roses, so this is the next big thing since she likes miniatures.
The idea of buying someone a bouquet of roses and building her a miniature-pretend-elevator is hilarious to me. I don't mean to be condescending, but that's really strange to me.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Yea what a terrible gift. Id like to put a shit in it and watch the elevator bring it to the second floor. In all seriousness though, im impressed with the mechanically inclined people who are offering solutions with parts from real world products. I feel stupid, and im an engineer
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

This page just reminds me of the auto prediction Google makes when you type "help I accidentally b"
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Well it's not a terrible gift to the person I'm giving it to. Different people like different things. She was excited when I told her I was going to make it for her. I didn't just randomly choose to build an elevator. She saw the one from the video in a museum and she couldn't stop talking about it. So I thought, "hey I should probably make it for her..."
Quote by Goad
Well it's not a terrible gift to the person I'm giving it to. Different people like different things. She was excited when I told her I was going to make it for her. I didn't just randomly choose to build an elevator. She saw the one from the video in a museum and she couldn't stop talking about it. So I thought, "hey I should probably make it for her..."

Even though you have no idea how to?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by chrismendiola
The idea of buying someone a bouquet of roses and building her a miniature-pretend-elevator is hilarious to me. I don't mean to be condescending, but that's really strange to me.

You've never thought of building one?

Good, build a mini 2-storey house with a working elevator!