Hi guys

I have recently moved house, I have a 100 Valve amp, a 50 watt valve amp and a 300 watt solid state amp and a 412 cab with V30s. In my new location it's not suitable for me to be using these at a volume at which they sound good to my ears.

I've been thinking of getting a single powered speaker for bedroom use, and plugging some form of preamp into it. If any of you guys have used BIAS/JamUp I have that on my iPad and would happily run that into the active speaker. My question is what would you guys use?

I want to be playing it at relatively low volumes, so a smaller speaker which I can push slightly harder should be better than say a 412 cab with the volume incredibly low, correct?

If so, what brands and models do you guys recommend?

Thanks
I use two kinds of powered speaker around here.

One is the Atomic Reactor series that features either a single 12" speaker (it's an Eminence 200W designed specifically for AR) or two 12" in oversize closed back (or ported) cabinets. The 1x12 is actually larger than my 2x12 Carvin Belair, and the 2x12 is about two-thirds of a 4x12 in size (a 4x12 is about 30" x 30", this is 20" x 30" by 14" deep). They come in two varieties, with a tube power amp in either 18W (two EL84s) or 50W (6L6's) ratings. These were designed specifically for use with modelers/preamps and have the same basketweave look as Marshall cabinets. They're no longer available new, but show up on eBay or Craig's occasionally. Atomic Research currently markets the CLR coaxial speaker (1000W) designed to work with Axe-FX preamps. In this shot there are a 112-18, a 112-50 and a 212-50. As you can see, there's a bay on the top (it's actually hot-swappable) that can hold a Pod, or an M-Audio/Vox/Behringer modeler, which turns it into a modeling combo amp. But it's not required that you use the bay at all.

The second speaker type I'm using (more recently) is a pair of KRK Rokit 8 studio monitors. Each speaker has 100W of power divided 80W for LF, 20W for HF. The woofer is only 8", but it actually produces more bass (and lower bass) than most 12" guitar speakers. They're specifically designed for nearfield listening at moderate volumes (under 110 dB) in a medium/small room. I run a number of sources into them, ranging from Line 6 Pods to old tube preamps to MP3 players to laptop to a pair of Korg keyboards. I even practice bass through them. I have them on a pair of Ultimate Support stands (MS90-36) that put them about 3' off the ground and that isolate them from the floor. If you need more bass, there are both 10" and 12" subwoofers (around 225W).

Last edited by dspellman at Jul 2, 2015,
Quote by dspellman

The second speaker type I'm using (more recently) is a pair of KRK Rokit 8 studio monitors. Each speaker has 100W of power divided 80W for LF, 20W for HF. The woofer is only 8", but it actually produces more bass (and lower bass) than most 12" guitar speakers. They're specifically designed for nearfield listening at moderate volumes (under 110 dB) in a medium/small room. I run a number of sources into them, ranging from Line 6 Pods to old tube preamps to MP3 players to laptop to a pair of Korg keyboards. I even practice bass through them. I have them on a pair of Ultimate Support stands (MS90-36) that put them about 3' off the ground and that isolate them from the floor. If you need more bass, there are both 10" and 12" subwoofers (around 225W).

Thanks for your input, the first option was more what i'm going for but probably in a smaller format? Something ideally just for bedroom playing, never to be gigged. Secondly, I have a pair of KRK 5s, I've thought about using them but I want something in the form of a cabinet which I can just sit down on the ground. The monitors I'd have to have on a desk or on some stands and the only reason I don't want that is it'd just look a bit silly in the area it's going. Something cabinet/shaped like a PA woofer would be ideal.
You may be looking for something like a Carvin PM12A (there are other brands out there, of course). 400W, a 12" LF, 1" tweeter. It can sit on the ground and act as a wedge monitor, sit vertically (so that your knees can hear it well) or go up on an amp stand. I think they're in the neighborhood of $279 or so. Overall size is generally determined by the size of the LF driver (I think there's a 10" available as well as a 15").

Try out the Rokit 5's you have, though, before you buy something else. They're DESIGNED to sound good in a small space at relatively low volumes. Worst case, add the 10" subwoofer that KRK makes. It's tidy and can be stuffed almost anywhere (bass is not particularly directional) to be out of the way visually:

Quote by dspellman
You may be looking for something like a Carvin PM12A (there are other brands out there, of course). 400W, a 12" LF, 1" tweeter. It can sit on the ground and act as a wedge monitor, sit vertically (so that your knees can hear it well) or go up on an amp stand. I think they're in the neighborhood of $279 or so. Overall size is generally determined by the size of the LF driver (I think there's a 10" available as well as a 15").

I like what you've got going on there, what kind of stand is that on? With a 12" 400W speaker, how does it sound at low volumes?
Quote by AJScott
I like what you've got going on there, what kind of stand is that on? With a 12" 400W speaker, how does it sound at low volumes?

It's not my rig, but that's an OnStage RS7000. Variable height and it'll hold (it says here) up to 150 lbs. I have one for my combo amps, one of which is a very solid 80 lbs (100W, big transformers, EV-L speaker with a hugemongous magnet). About $39.95, but they drop to around $25 at some of the GC sales events. They fold up flat for easy transport and go up fast. The PM12A is around 30 lbs; very easy to move around.

These have a wider range than a standard guitar speaker (most guitar speakers are already dropping off at 110Hz) and can produce lower bass. They're surprisingly good at lower volumes. These are just a steroid version of your Rokit 5's.
Quote by dspellman

Try out the Rokit 5's you have, though, before you buy something else. They're DESIGNED to sound good in a small space at relatively low volumes. Worst case, add the 10" subwoofer that KRK makes. It's tidy and can be stuffed almost anywhere (bass is not particularly directional) to be out of the way visually:

Question about hooking up the KRKs. I plan to use an iPad running Jamup/BIAS. How can I get both KRKs running in Stereo? Would I have to use a splitter.

Signal would go

Guitar > JamUp audio input > Ipad > Jamup audio output (which I believe is stereo) > KRK.

Would I have to use a splitter on the output to go to both KRKs if I wanted Stereo delays etc?
Quote by AJScott
Question about hooking up the KRKs. I plan to use an iPad running Jamup/BIAS. How can I get both KRKs running in Stereo? Would I have to use a splitter.

Signal would go

Guitar > JamUp audio input > Ipad > Jamup audio output (which I believe is stereo) > KRK.

Would I have to use a splitter on the output to go to both KRKs if I wanted Stereo delays etc?

Dunno, haven't tried that. If your output is already stereo, you should only need to plug the KRKs into the right and left outputs, no? I run everything (keys, bass, stereo Pod HD output, other preamps) into a mixer and then out to the KRKs.
Quote by dspellman
Dunno, haven't tried that. If your output is already stereo, you should only need to plug the KRKs into the right and left outputs, no? I run everything (keys, bass, stereo Pod HD output, other preamps) into a mixer and then out to the KRKs.

The audio output on the Jamup interface IS stereo, but in a single. 1/4" connector.
I think best method would be to go to a small mixer and then run stereo outputs on there?