Hey!

I want to get a new guitar. I was planning to buy the Fernandes Ravelle as a member here suggested me, but it seems to be sold out for the time to come. They only have the "Steeler" model, but I cant find comments about it..

Anyway, I already have a Ibanez RG370DX full black. I was thinking on getting something different, but that's just an option. I'll change my amplifier soon to a small tube amp. I have a V-Amp for modelling drive/amps.

I'm willing to pay about 600-700US$.
I like playing solo stuff, like Steve Vai, Iron Maiden, Metallica. But I also like alternative rock like Strokes, Black Keys etc. Therefore I think the ideal would be a guitar with thin neck.

The pickups... I love the DiMarzio sound, but I already intend to buy one to change my Ibanez set. My playstyle also suggests Seymour Duncan, EMG, and such. I dont know pickups very much.

I prefer new over used. But if worth it, I could get an used
I'll move to Ithaca, near NYC. There wont be easy access big stores to try the guitar, that might be a problem... If I can't decide by any chance, I'll find a way to get to NYC.

Thanks!

PS: I dont like extra-pointy shaped bodies, like Flying V, Warlock (BC Rich), Warrior (Jackson), etc.
PS2: I also dont want floyd... I would like to play drop D and stuff easily
PS3: I dont like Godin nor Reverend.
Last edited by pieri175 at Jul 2, 2015,
They are much more expensive than the Fernandes Store price... and beyond my budget
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Quote by pieri175
H
I'll move to Ithaca, near NYC. There wont be easy access big stores to try the guitar, that might be a problem... If I can't decide by any chance, I'll find a way to get to NYC.

You're in for a treat. There are a BUNCH of guitar stores in/near Ithaca. That's a serious college town (what, four major colleges including Cornell?). There are several small but substantial guitar stores in Ithaca and one of the very best vintage guitar stores on the planet (Rumble Seat Music).

And they have small herds of deer wandering the streets! I got off the plane,hopped in the car and drove past a small herd of five does on one of those islands that have traffic signals. Love that town!

If you charted the IQ levels of the area, however, there'd be a huge spike over Ithaca and then it would largely flatline in the surrounding area; it's really hillbilly territory. That's not meant to denigrate the area or the folks there; but Ithaca is sort of an island of high education with some of the sharpest minds in the state concentrated there. Get out to places like Truman and it's...uh...rural. But Ithaca's Wegmans store is one of the few places ON THE PLANET where you can routinely buy almost everything organic AND find irradiated meat (enjoy a rare hamburger without fear!). Gorgeous hiking (there are waterfalls and unbelievably beautiful gorges right in the middle of town).

But if you drive outside of Ithaca, you WILL want to own a GPS nav system. And if you hear banjos playing, RUN.
hahahahahah!
So, which good music stores Ithaca has?
I was planning to buy over the internet.
Last edited by pieri175 at Jul 2, 2015,
Quote by pieri175
They are much more expensive than the Fernandes Store price... and beyond my budget

They're only cheap because that's their clearance department.

Check the other big Internet retailers: GC has a few. I know they had a Ravelle Goldtop the last time I looked. I have one- they're a limited edition model with the same specs as the SHIN series limited editions.

I'd also look at brands like DBZ and Electra.

Quote by icanhasgodmode

Beat me to it!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 2, 2015,
What do you by clearance department Danny?
Any other place I'll find those more expensive?

What about ute ravelle steeler?
And dragonfly? (Both Fernandes)
The Fernandes Store only sells a limited supply of guitwrs that Fernandes is trying to remove from inventory. They're deeply discounted, sometimes as more than 50% off. If you look around, you'll definitely find other Ravelles for sale, for more money.

I really like the Dragonfly. Nice lines & contours. I've been wanting one for a while.

The Ravelle Steeler is one I never understood. Its specs are perfectly fine, but it is only avaialble in black. It makes no sense to me. Perhaps it was commissioned by someone in particular, but I have no idea why it doesn't have options like the other Ravelles.

...and they do have 20 in stock in the Fernandes Store.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dspellman

If you charted the IQ levels of the area, however, there'd be a huge spike over Ithaca and then it would largely flatline in the surrounding area; it's really hillbilly territory.

OT - That description reminded me of Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" books that I'm working my way through at the moment. - Weird stuff happening in the deep heartland. Great reading for anyone who likes gruesome police thrillers.
Quote by dspellman

But if you drive outside of Ithaca, you WILL want to own a GPS nav system. And if you hear banjos playing, RUN.

Sooo..... what are we saying here.... that country folk in upstate ny are all crazed rejects from a Wrong Turn movie or Deliverence? there are some mighty fine banjo pickers around here that are well worth sticking around for. like any of you city slickers can out run us

Ithaca isn't far from albany and syracuse definitely shouldn't have a problem finding a guitar.

oh and Wegmans does rule.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jul 2, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Fernandes Store only sells a limited supply of guitwrs that Fernandes is trying to remove from inventory. They're deeply discounted, sometimes as more than 50% off. If you look around, you'll definitely find other Ravelles for sale, for more money.

I really like the Dragonfly. Nice lines & contours. I've been wanting one for a while.

The Ravelle Steeler is one I never understood. Its specs are perfectly fine, but it is only avaialble in black. It makes no sense to me. Perhaps it was commissioned by someone in particular, but I have no idea why it doesn't have options like the other Ravelles.

...and they do have 20 in stock in the Fernandes Store.

I see danny... What about the neck thickness?
As ravelle seems to me more like a "Les Paul play style", what might not be true though, I would think its neck is thick like les paul guitars.
And the Dragonyfly neck?
I have an Ibanez, so i'm used to a thin neck... It might get hard to play lead stuff on a thick neck, therefore i must consider this aspect.
Fernandes necks tend towards the slender side. Not quite Ibanez Wizard skinny, but definitely not good ol' baseball bats. In my collection, only my Dean Cadillac compares to my Ravelles in having a slender neck.

The Ravelle body, though, is a nicely curved slab. Definitely a nicely massed chunk of wood. I haven't gotten my hands in a Dragonfly lately, but I recall them being a bit lighter.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 4, 2015,
My last question (at least I hope!)..
The only """problem""" with the Ravelle Steeler would be its color?
I don't mind getting a black guitar... I would definitely save 300 dollars to get the black one (fernander website) vs the spalted (amazon only model sold)..
Near as I can tell.

Quote by monwobobbo
Sooo..... what are we saying here.... that country folk in upstate ny are all crazed rejects from a Wrong Turn movie or Deliverence?

I did not say that.
Don't get me in trouble the next time I'm there.
But you can definitely find some straaaaannnge places on some of those country backroads late at night. Reminds me of Iowa.

And Children Of The Corn.

Except they don't have Corn there.
And they've eaten all the children.
Mmmmmm...corn.

Fernandes store has 3 models that I'm interested and the main difference is the Pickup...

- Ravelle Steeler with Neck : Seymour Duncan SH-2N, Bridge : Seymour Duncan SH-11

- Ravelle Deluxe with Neck : EMG-60, Bridge : EMG-81
- Dragonfly Deluxe with Neck : EMG-60, Bridge : EMG-81

As I heard, SD sounds a little bit closer to my playstyle (Steve Vai, Iron Maiden, etc), am I wrong? But! that ravelle (with SD pickups) is 200 dollars more expensive (700vs500US$), which sours things up a bit. Adding to that, I would rather other color over solid black.

Anyway, about these two pickups options, what would you recommend?

PS: I still haven't searched used gear deeply. What stores could I use? Reverb, GC...?
Personally, I'm not a fan of EMGs.

As for shopping used, I look on eBay, GC, Reverb, Elderly...pretty much any reputable seller.

And dont you like EMG?

The ravelle steeler cons: 22 frets, 200 dollars more expensive and it's black (I already have a black guitar)
The pro is it is very beautiful and has SD
The dragonfly cons: EMG, "simple shaped" body. Pros: 24 frets, nice color.

I can't decide
Both pickups seems to sound close to my play style? But SD a little more.

Besides DBZ, Electra and Fernandes, what other brands has guitars for my kind of sound, with a fair price?

Ps: I would love to have a sustainer.. Too bad all are sold out.
Dean, Ibanez, BC Rich, Schecter, Minarik, LTD and many more cater to the harder genres of rock & roll.

Hmm, I really enjoyed this Schecter (tempest custom model). I found for a very decent price on guitar center, but I'm hesitating due to its "unknown" pickup.
BC Rich I liked the CJ Pierce Signature Pro X Eagle, but it is expensive...

Thanks for the suggestion!