Hey all,

Just got my blackarts toneworks pharaoh fuzz in the mail today, and there's this clear film over the circuitry as seen below (SORRY ABOUT THE GIANT PHOTOS)

Any idea as to what this could be and if it's a cause for concern?

Thanks

Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Last edited by SOADriff at Jul 2, 2015,
If it's really glue, there's nothing to worry. Some Pedal builder use glue to add protection for short circuit with the enclosure or anything that can get in the way.
Looks like some sort of glue to prevent the pcb from moving. Don't worry about it.
It's bad practice, especially when your board has a hole to mount to a standoff, but it shouldn't cause any problems.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
It is most likely a resin that protects the components from vibration and or the typical abuse that gear can suffer. It is common practice to encase circuit boards in resin. It should also help to prevent corrosion, and prolong the life of the pedal.
That's definitely bad design and shoddy workmanship, basically a spit polish fix...they could've add to isolate those parts or even in some cases to protect a certain component to become exposed to "the competition". I'd probably return it as they need to get their game straight.
Quote by rickyvanh
It is most likely a resin that protects the components from vibration and or the typical abuse that gear can suffer. It is common practice to encase circuit boards in resin. It should also help to prevent corrosion, and prolong the life of the pedal.

It has nothing to do with protecting from abuse. It's a crude method of mounting the circuit board.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I'm pretty sure glue is an insulator, so you should be fine.... but that's pretty bad workmanship
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Should I return it? It wasn't exactly a cheap investment, I've waited around a month for it to arrive so it's annoying to have to send it off, but I don't want to use it if it's subpar or not made as well as it should be.
Quote by Mad Marius
If it still works perfectly fine, why return it?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Sometimes, certain glues can corrode pcb traces over the years.

But usually those are dark brown colored glues you find on behringer pedals.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If it still works perfectly fine, why return it?

Because I've received an item with subpar workmanship to what it should be.
Quote by Mad Marius
If you buy boutique gear you need to accept that the PCB isn’t going to look like the stuff made in batches of 10,000 by robots in Shenzen. FWIW this PCB looks a hell of a lot better than some of the vintage hand-soldered stuff people pay through the nose for.
My buddy who does electronics usually puts this glue at the parts that break easily or to hide shoddy work, for example he repaired a 9v input on one of mine and put this exact glue to hold it together cause he said the board was a bit fragile.

If you're not married to the sound I'd say return it and get another brand, they need to get their act together.
Quote by SOADriff at #33481908
Because I've received an item with subpar workmanship to what it should be.

Most pedals only run with 9v and a few hundred milliamps of current. When talking about circuits of such low currents, a little hot glue is never going to have any effect on the performance of the pedal whatsoever. and the glue is completely out of sight of anyone except nerds on online forums who demand that you take gutshots of your pedal.

I wouldn't give a flying fruitcake if I were you, I don't get excited at what the PCB of my pedals look like, I just know how I want them to sound, and want the pedals to be reliable (which in this case, there's no reason why yours wouldn't be). But it's your time and money.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 3, 2015,