I came across this amp at a sale and I figured it has some value and the price was right so I got it.

This is a Fender Vibrolux 5f11. Below is a link to pictures of this beauty.

I know very little about amps, I'm not a musician. I'm looking for information and advice. I would welcome any input on the age, rarity and value. I would also like recommendations on how and where i can sell it at a fair price.
Attachments:
20150629_185221_400x300.jpg
20150629_185505_400x300.jpg
Last edited by Desktopgrass at Jul 2, 2015,
If real and in decent shape, it's worth a pretty decent amount.

Your link doesn't work, which makes me wonder if it's real.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Ebay, Reverb, Craigslist. All of those are fine places to put the amp up for sale.

To determine good market value, you'll need to get more information about the amp.

Look for every serial number you can find on the amp. Contact Fender, get them the information, and see if they can give you any details on that amp. The more original it is the better. Take a look at the tubes in it as well and see what they are exactly. Tube snobs go crazy for old tubes that are still functional.

Until you get all those details in order, there are question marks about the value.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
The amp seems to be a 1959 according to the tube chart. The serial number is F02758

three tubes inside are
1 Rca 5y3 GT (59-48)
2 Sylvania 6V6 GT
The speaker is a Jensen 220937
You should be able to sell it for somewhere around 2200-2500 without much issue. You could try and aim higher, but you'll be waiting for a while to unload it. In my little glance around the internet, the folks who are selling amps similar to this one and from the same time period are going anywhere from 1999.00 - 3000.00. Pick your poison in that range.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Can an amp tech power this amp up safely with the original 2 prong plug?

Can he ground the chassis temporarily just to test functionality?

I don't want to change a thing on this beauty.
Any amp tech worth his salt should be able to safely fire up the amp and test it out. The tech would want to pop things open to inspect the internals before running any type of power through the amp.
Considering the value, you should have a tech check it out. It could need new filter caps, resistors could be blown, the tubes could be bad... it's a vintage amp. Like cars, they need to be upkept. I can't tell with how small the pictures are, but I'm about 99% sure those orange capacitors are the original filter caps. Honestly, I would not turn it on in case they are leaky.

Look around in side (don't touch anything) for cracked or burned resistors. They're the little cylinder things with colored lines on them. Look specifically where the tube sockets are; those are grid resistors.

Twist off those two metal covers to reveal the preamp tubes if you haven't yet.

You'd probably spend roughly $250 to have a tech replace the cord and filter caps, as well as put new tubes in, granted the old tubes are bad. At that point, buyers will be much more comfortable buying this amp off you. The less the buyer needs to do to get the amp in proper playing order, the more money you can sell it for.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Last edited by nick.culliton at Jul 3, 2015,