Hi guys! I need help deciding which electric guitar to get. I'm not exactly a beginner but I'm not great player either. I had cheap Ibanez guitar and ended being frustrated playing it because of not so good neck and several other issues. After year of pause I would like to get a new guitar.
I mostly play hard/classic rock and metal (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica&hellip but would like to have versatile guitar for playing other styles. Humbucker is must but HS combination is also acceptable. I have short fingers so the thinner neck the better. Shape of guitar is not important to me and I'd like to avoid floyd rose bridge.
Due to my small budget I will look for used guitars in my area. Now, I'll list some guitars and approximate price I can get that guitar for and I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'll use guitar just for practice in my room, maybe jam with friend. Also, I plan to buy modelling amp Roland Cube 30 for 150$, is it worth that money? Something better for that price? Peavey Bandit 112 and Blackstar HT-5C are about 220$ each but I'm not sure how much money I'll have after buying a guitar.

Epiphone SG Goth - about 200$
Yamaha Pacifica 112 - about 220$ (it comes with little Laney LX12 amp which I could probably exclude from offer to lower price or sell the amp later. Guitar is, by pictures, in great shape and it's my personal favorite on this list)
ESP LTD EC-50 - about 200$
ESP LTD Viper-50 - about 120$
Schecter Omen 6 - about 105$
Cort HBS 2 - 250$ (this is really stretch because of limited budget, but I heard it's great. Not too much reviews on the Internet though)
Vintage V100 - 260$ (but I'd like something cheaper)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II (I can get it really cheaply but I heard it's not worth any money)

Any other recommendations for used guitar I could get for about 200$?
I know I should buy something better but I think guitars in that range are good enough for me, I don't have enough time to practice that often (only during the summer) so this is just for my own fun
Thanks in advance!
Why have abs when u can have kebabs
I think most of those are pretty solid choices, though I think the ESPs and Schecters might be a bit metally for what you want - the caveat, as always, is that you can play any genre on any guitar and what's most important is how you personally find the guitar.

The only one I'd really discourage is the Les Paul Special II because even for the price point it isn't much, and in general when we're discussing low-end guitars there's a pretty reliable you-get-what-you-pay-for correlation. After all, some of these are more than twice as expensive as others.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I think most of those are pretty solid choices, though I think the ESPs and Schecters might be a bit metally for what you want - the caveat, as always, is that you can play any genre on any guitar and what's most important is how you personally find the guitar.

The only one I'd really discourage is the Les Paul Special II because even for the price point it isn't much, and in general when we're discussing low-end guitars there's a pretty reliable you-get-what-you-pay-for correlation. After all, some of these are more than twice as expensive as others.

Ok, thanks. Did you probably play Yamaha Pacifica 112? Is it any good? And what about those amps I listed (Roland Cube 30)?
Quote by GhostOfTheFall
Ok, thanks. Did you probably play Yamaha Pacifica 112? Is it any good? And what about those amps I listed (Roland Cube 30)?

I just recently sold my old 75watt amp for a small yamaha thr10x, after seeing some reviews on youtube and some demos. That little things rocks! I got it cheap for 150€ used online and never regretted trading in my old one. IMO this is THE perfect practice amp. Just checkout some videos on youtube on the whole THR series, comes in a low mid and high gain variant, so maybe theres something there for you.

As for the guitars, why not checkout some low end chapman guitars, ive heard they are pretty solid. and also you could take a look out for signature epiphone guitars, maybe you can get one cheap and they are mostly as far as i've seen better produced than your usual lower-budget guitar.
Guitar: IBANEZ RGIR20BFE-WNF
Strings: Ernie Ball .010 - .052
Amp: Yamaha THR10X | Orange Micro Dark
Effects: Boss MetalCore ML-2, Zoom 505 II, CryBaby
From experience I'd go with the schecter. Although I always see people recommend that yamaha a lot too.

For the amps the roland would be good. I had one one of the older 60 models when I first upgraded my amp(and got a now discontinued schecter that was basically the omen with a flame top and grover tuners). A peavey vypyr would be worth checking out. Another option would be a used pod hd. Or since it looks like you're buying second hand if you can find a marshall vs100 with a distortion/boost pedal, or a solid state randall.
Quote by Wormholes
From experience I'd go with the schecter. Although I always see people recommend that yamaha a lot too.

For the amps the roland would be good. I had one one of the older 60 models when I first upgraded my amp(and got a now discontinued schecter that was basically the omen with a flame top and grover tuners). A peavey vypyr would be worth checking out. Another option would be a used pod hd. Or since it looks like you're buying second hand if you can find a marshall vs100 with a distortion/boost pedal, or a solid state randall.

I would like to get Schecter, it's really dirt cheap and my biggest concern is why is it so cheap :P but there is chance I'll be near seller's city next week so I could check it out.
I found two Randalls in my price range: Randall RG8040 for 160$ and Randall RG75 G2 for 190$. Those seems to be really powerful amps. Are those good?
The Schecter Omen 6 looks solid to me. I used to own a Damien Elite 6 (You could get those used for about $250 and they're great btw. Come stock with EMG 81/85 combo) and the neck was fantastic to me. They're both bolt on Schecter C-1's close to the same price point so I'm assuming the necks are VERY similar if not the same. Personally I'm just not a fan of the pickups in the Omen, but it's your call.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Just go try some out at a store and then buy the model second hand. All guitars in that price point, except Fender squires and Pacificas, are generally pretty terrible. That's the problem with buying cheap guitars - they're cheap!

the Roland Cube is a great choice - do not get a Peavey Bandit - those should have been banished in the 90's!
The only guitar I have actually played at all on your list is the Yamaha and it is an amazing guitar for the money. Plays really well and the finish is flawless as well. I only played it a while in the store so I can't say how it will hold up to daily playing long term.
Quote by reverb66
Just go try some out at a store and then buy the model second hand. All guitars in that price point, except Fender squires and Pacificas, are generally pretty terrible. That's the problem with buying cheap guitars - they're cheap!

the Roland Cube is a great choice - do not get a Peavey Bandit - those should have been banished in the 90's!

I'm noob but... I think probably all gitars on my list are better than Squier. That Schecter is about 3 times more expensive in stores. Still cheap but I think price for used one makes it look worse that it is
Right now I have dilemma between Pacifica and Schecter Omen 6. All reviews on Pacificas recommend it and everyone say I can't go wrong with it. But I don't think I'll ever find Schecter that cheap, especially when seller says it's in great shape (but who knows...). I think even if I get Schecter and I don't like it I could resell it easily with that price.
More advices are welcome. I checked some other guitars You all recommended but I could't find them (in my range or at all).
Quote by GhostOfTheFall
I'm noob but... I think probably all gitars on my list are better than Squier.

Squier largely make pretty good (and consistent) stuff for the price. Affinity is a bit meh but you couldn't really find much better for the price; Standards, Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe stuff is all fantastic for the price. Probably not what you're after, but good stuff.

Towards the mid-to-higher end of their respective ranges - "standard" models and up - they're closer, but the cheap stuff Squier puts out is way better than Epiphone's cheap stuff imo, and the closest contender to the Pacificas.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I just gave my old pacifica to my son. Its just a simple solid guitar, it stays in tune and sounds decent. It will stand up to daily playing. Thats a good price on the omen 6 though, if its in decent shape. the Roland cubes are good amps.

Have fun looking.
Hi Ghost. I have two electrics, a MIM Fender Stratocaster and an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. I much prefer the Ephiphone to the far more expensive Fender. Better pickups on the Epiphone by a country mile, action is about the same on both, the tone controls seem better on the Epiphone to me, but the Fender has better tuning machines. The weak pickups are what really sours me on the Fender.

I really like my Epiphone. Lots of bang for the buck and from what I have seen on the internet it's frequently listed as the best in it's price range. You can get them for $169 new on Amazon. I've seen them on Craigslist for $100.
Last edited by TobusRex at Jul 5, 2015,
The schecter omen 6 is a really solid guitar. I've had one since 2005 and it still sounds and plays great. I've experimented with it for a while until I finally got it to where I wanted it, currently I have some Dimarzio D-Activators and it screams and sustains so well. Its perfect for thrash and metal styles. I'd take it over that epiphone any day. The ESP's look decent as well, but I would still choose the schecter over them. I still have mine and love it, I have an epiphone les paul with 3 humbuckers as well that's worth over double and the schecter really holds up well to it. It's easily worth more. It stays in tune well , but like most low cost guitars, they can use a few upgrades so if you ever get the chance switch out the tuners and maybe a new bridge pickup. seriously it's a sick guitar!