Poll: How do you feel about Takei's comment?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you feel about Takei's comment?
It was racist
9 22%
It was ignorant, but not racist
6 15%
I don't have a problem with it
14 34%
I fully support it
11 27%
I'm not sure
1 2%
Voters: 41.
Page 1 of 3
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2015/07/02/george-takeis-racist-rant-clarence-thomas-clown-black-face

Basically George Takei called Clarence Thomas "a clown in blackface" during a rant about the Justice's ignorant-ass dissent on the marriage equality ruling.

Context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmYtLpxx8-I

I mean, we can all agree (unless you're an idiot) that Clarence Thomas is an asshole, but were Takei's comments out-of-line or racist?
Check out my band Disturbed
Sounds like the man is understandably angry at someone who is supposed to uphold his rights and failed to do so

addendum: Although I can see some kind of value in the "slaves still had their dignity" statement. That can be argued either way.
My God, it's full of stars!
He made a good point but I'm Dutch, what do I know?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ErikLensherr
They won, why's he mad.

Cause the other 4 judges gave poop as reason, and one thought it was a good idea to bring up slavery and japanese internment camps. Clarence Thomas his entire argument was stupid. All the cases he mentioned in which the government could not take away dignity, were all points where the government wasclearly in the wrong. Just like in the case of disallowing gay marriage.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Cause the other 4 judges gave poop as reason, and one thought it was a good idea to bring up slavery and japanese internment camps. Clarence Thomas his entire argument was stupid. All the cases he mentioned in which the government could not take away dignity, were all points where the government wasclearly in the wrong. Just like in the case of disallowing gay marriage.

But they still won, so why's he mad.
Quote by ErikLensherr
But they still won, so why's he mad.

Because a federal judge talked poop about an incredibly traumatizing moment in his childhood, and used that to justify not giving him his rights now.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I don't think it's a racist comment at all. It's pretty accurate, IMO. Spot on with everything he said.
It's funny though how right-wing conservatives are latching onto this story like flies on shit. Because they are such champions of black people and never whine about the word "racist" being used too lightly/often.
Quote by StewieSwan
It's funny though how right-wing conservatives are latching onto this story like flies on shit. Because they are such champions of black people and never whine about the word "racist" being used too lightly/often.

I fail to see the difference between all these non-whites.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by iwannabesedated
Takei's apology was pretty good.

link? Google news does not lead me to it.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by StewieSwan

They have a point about hypocrisy. If a right-winger called George Takei a "slant-eyed pillow biter" liberals would be freaking out. But since it's Clarence Thomas it's whatever.
Quote by Neo Evil11
link? Google news does not lead me to it.

"On the eve of this Independence Day, I have a renewed sense of what this country stands for, and how I personally could help achieve it. The promise of equality and freedom is one that all of us have to work for, at all times. I know this as a survivor of the Japanese American internment, which each day drives me only to strive harder to help fulfill that promise for future generations.
I recently was asked by a reporter about Justice Clarence Thomas’s dissent in the marriage equality cases, in which he wrote words that really got under my skin, by suggesting that the government cannot take away human dignity through slavery, or though internment. In my mind that suggested that this meant he felt the government therefore shouldn’t be held accountable, or should do nothing in the face of gross violations of dignity. When asked by a reporter about the opinion, I was still seething, and I referred to him as a “clown in blackface” to suggest that he had abdicated and abandoned his heritage. This was not intended to be racist, but rather to evoke a history of racism in the theatrical arts. While I continue to vehemently disagree with Justice Thomas, the words I chose, said in the heat of anger, were not carefully considered.
I am reminded, especially on this July 4th holiday, that though we have the freedom to speak our minds, we must use that freedom judiciously. Each of us, as humans, have hot-button topics that can set-us off, and Justice Thomas had hit mine, that is clear. But my choice of words was regrettable, not because I do not believe Justice Thomas is deeply wrong, but because they were ad hominem and uncivil, and for that I am sorry.
I often ask fans to keep the level of discourse on this page and in comments high, and to remember that we all love this country and for what it stands for, even if we often disagree passionately about how to achieve those goals. I did not live up to my own high standards in this instance.
I hope all of you have a wonderful, safe and joyously free July 4t, the first where all married couples in the U.S. can enjoy the full liberties of matrimony equally. It is truly a blessing to be an American today."

Quote by ErikLensherr
They have a point about hypocrisy. If a right-winger called George Takei a "slant-eyed pillow biter" liberals would be freaking out. But since it's Clarence Thomas it's whatever.

You're right, but it's still funny to see how giddy they're getting over finally having the chance to call someone else a racist for once.
I think it's clear that its intended meaning is "someone who uses a black social mask to further his own interests by appealing to emotion using slavery" considering the background of the case. In that sense, yeah, Clarence Thomas is a "clown in blackface". It's a very intelligent comment coming from Takei.

At the same time, it's still pretty iffy cuz I don't think black people should be told what social masks to use, that he's not a "real black person" cuz he (like a repulsively huge asshole, no doubt) would call slaves "dignified" for a vote on Asian-American internment camps.

The word "blackface" itself isn't racist slang the way white people are treating it. It's what the word is referring to that could possibly be seen as racist despite being directed at a giant tool and generally being sort of true. There's also the fact that I respect Takei endlessly (esp. for his championed causes) that's probably giving me a bias towards him.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 3, 2015,
Quote by ErikLensherr

For a better comparison: if George Takei was a judge who voted 'no' on a decision that could help native americans afford more rights by stating "Japanese American internment prisoners were dignified" in some convoluted abdication of internment camps in order to justify shitting on native american rights, then I wouldn't be too offended if a white guy (i.e. right winger) said he's "A clown in yellowface".
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I think it's clear that its intended meaning is "someone who uses a black social mask to further his own interests by appealing to emotion using slavery" considering the background of the case. In that sense, yeah, Clarence Thomas is a "clown in blackface". It's a very intelligent comment coming from Takei.

At the same time, it's still pretty iffy cuz I don't think black people should be told what social masks to use, that he's not a "real black person" cuz he (like a repulsively huge asshole, no doubt) would call slaves "dignified" for a vote on Asian-American internment camps.

The word "blackface" itself isn't racist slang the way white people are treating it. It's what the word is referring to that could possibly be seen as racist despite being directed at a giant tool and generally being sort of true. There's also the fact that I respect Takei endlessly (esp. for his championed causes) that's probably giving me a bias towards him.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. I just couldn't have verbalized it as well.
Anyone else find it pretty neat that several thousand (just over 100,000 if I'm not mistaken) Asian immigrants lost everything due to the internment during WWII, yet now they've risen to as high a social level as Whites. Really amazing people imo, average IQ is even higher than Whites.
Quote by Skullivan
Anyone else find it pretty neat that several thousand (just over 100,000 if I'm not mistaken) Asian immigrants lost everything due to the internment during WWII, yet now they've risen to as high a social level as Whites. Really amazing people imo, average IQ is even higher than Whites.

Thanks bro

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Asian Americans have incredible work ethic. Not all, but most. They're definitely superior to the rest of us here in that regard.

Oh geese, just realized I stereotyped an entire ethnic group there. Wait, do we still need to apologize for that, even though it was positive?
Quote by bdof
They're definitely superior to the rest of us here

yessir I am

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I took a little liberty if that's ok

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I took a little liberty if that's ok

typical libtard
superman is killing himself tonight

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Racist and unacceptable for a non-black person to tell a black person that he's not black enough, or to insinuate that he is an "Uncle Tom" and Takei should justifiably be criticized for it.

I also don't like the implication that all black people have to believe x thing or else they're not really black. I think it's offensive and treats black people like they are stupid and unable to think independently so they must all agree on everything because they're black.
Quote by bradulator
Racist and unacceptable for a non-black person to tell a black person that he's not black enough, or to insinuate that he is an "Uncle Tom" and Takei should justifiably be criticized for it.

I also don't like the implication that all black people have to believe x thing or else they're not really black. I think it's offensive and treats black people like they are stupid and unable to think independently so they must all agree on everything because they're black.

Reminds me of all the shit that Don Lemon gets for not being black enough.
My God, it's full of stars!
im a clown in rainbow face
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
He said nothing even close to resembling a racist remark and got bullied into making an apology something that doesn't deserve one. This whole thing is ridiculous. By the way...

Quote by George Takei

I owe an apology. On the eve of this Independence Day, I have a renewed sense of what this country stands for, and how I personally could help achieve it. The promise of equality and freedom is one that all of us have to work for, at all times. I know this as a survivor of the Japanese American internment, which each day drives me only to strive harder to help fulfill that promise for future generations.

I recently was asked by a reporter about Justice Clarence Thomas’s dissent in the marriage equality cases, in which he wrote words that really got under my skin, by suggesting that the government cannot take away human dignity through slavery, or though internment. In my mind that suggested that this meant he felt the government therefore shouldn’t be held accountable, or should do nothing in the face of gross violations of dignity. When asked by a reporter about the opinion, I was still seething, and I referred to him as a “clown in blackface” to suggest that he had abdicated and abandoned his heritage. This was not intended to be racist, but rather to evoke a history of racism in the theatrical arts. While I continue to vehemently disagree with Justice Thomas, the words I chose, said in the heat of anger, were not carefully considered.

I am reminded, especially on this July 4th holiday, that though we have the freedom to speak our minds, we must use that freedom judiciously. Each of us, as humans, have hot-button topics that can set-us off, and Justice Thomas had hit mine, that is clear. But my choice of words was regrettable, not because I do not believe Justice Thomas is deeply wrong, but because they were ad hominem and uncivil, and for that I am sorry.

I often ask fans to keep the level of discourse on this page and in comments high, and to remember that we all love this country and for what it stands for, even if we often disagree passionately about how to achieve those goals. I did not live up to my own high standards in this instance.

I hope all of you have a wonderful, safe and joyously free July 4t, the first where all married couples in the U.S. can enjoy the full liberties of matrimony equally. It is truly a blessing to be an American today.
The public apology is the lamest ****ing thing there is now.

Btw, The pro golpher Bubba Watson just tweeted he'd paint over the rebel flag on his General Lee car he owns cause racism and stuff.

****ing ewwww
Page 1 of 3