So when you're looking for a guitar, the best alternative to going to the store and playing them, is (IMO) watching comparison videos on YouTube. You can hear the differences between different guitar's but it can be hard to describe at times, especially for beginner.

Just for the heck of it I want to construct a data chart template (like something from a (everyone's favorite subject,) 7th grade science science experiment to help compare guitars and their tones. (Don't worry you don't have to participate in this part.)
So what words would you use to describe which guitars, and how would you measure this (in a quantitative sense?) ex: Dark-Bright scale, Clean-Dirty, and the hardest part will be finding a way to measure certain illusive qualities, like the (other) characteristics of pickups and different types of wood.

A good start would be to compare/rate: Telecaster's, Stratocaster's, and Les Paul's (or your other favorites.)
Quote by JFH59

A good start would be to compare/rate: Telecaster's, Stratocaster's, and Les Paul's (or your other favorites.)

Forget it. There's almost nothing definitive that won't be contradicted by the next guitar of the same type. I've got over 50 guitars (several of similar types, obviously) and things still don't fall into neat rows of any kind.

Youtube videos tell me nothing; there's too much between me and the guitar (pedals, amp, microphone, recording gizmo, compression in conversion to YouTube and then whatever I'm listening through (headphones, computer speakers). I've been supergluing the frets and PLEKing any guitar new to me, and with fresh strings the result is almost always a change from whatever the previous owner (or the factory) put together.
Quote by dspellman
Forget it. There's almost nothing definitive that won't be contradicted by the next guitar of the same type. I've got over 50 guitars (several of similar types, obviously) and things still don't fall into neat rows of any kind.

Youtube videos tell me nothing; there's too much between me and the guitar (pedals, amp, microphone, recording gizmo, compression in conversion to YouTube and then whatever I'm listening through (headphones, computer speakers). I've been supergluing the frets and PLEKing any guitar new to me, and with fresh strings the result is almost always a change from whatever the previous owner (or the factory) put together.

agree. when buying a guitar hearing it is only a small part of the equation. no video can tell you how that guitar will feel in your hands. that is the part that counts the most.

i've played hundgreds of strats over my 35+ years of playing and not only do they not all sound the same (even thru the same amp) but they don't feel the same either. the strat that i love may be the one that totally sucked to another player. only way to tell is to play the guitar yourself.
Yeah, too many variables, too many intangibles. Video comparisons also only get you so far (not very).
But in its basics it's an interesting idea, assuming you can test a lot of guitars under identical conditions and then conceptualize the differences in sound.
I agree that a youtube vid is generally better than nothng, but I also agree with what the others are saying. It's a nice idea, and it'd be awesome if it were workable, but I'm not sure it is.

That being said you can normally come up with very basic, rule of thumb type generalisations for the guitar types. E.g. telecaster = twangy.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JFH59

A really good start would be to stop making threads like this. There's a reason your ideas aren't being taken seriously.
Not to be difficult, but you could learn something interesting if you got enough responses.

It just wouldn't be what the OP wants to find out.

I'm just saying - collect enough opinions and you might be able to have an interesting discussion about perceptions. It would be more of a sociology topic than a guitar topic at that point.
Yes, but OP seems more interested in making poor quality threads than collecting interesting information. With some effort this could be done well, but no effort has been made with any of these threads so far.

Execution and approach are the issue more than idea here IMO
/waste of time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Roc8995

Execution and approach are the issue more than idea here IMO

Yeah. As someone who's actually tried to write stickies, it takes way, way, way more effort than you initially think. And every time you write what you think will take a sentence, you realise you need another three sentences to explain that sentence. It's very difficult to either not end up with something which is so oversimplified (to make it short enough so that people will actually bother to read it) that the info within it is basically wrong (so not much point), or something which has all the info you need but which is so long that no-one will read it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?