So I recently bought a Boss HM-2. All was well until I tried it. For some reason, whenever I engage the pedal, the volume on my amp drops insanely to unplayably low levels. I have tried different leads, different amps, running it through the effects loop and using batteries and wall power. Before everyone says I should have tried it before buying, I got it off of ebay because no stores sell it any more, so I can't try it before I buy it. Note that I am using it with no other pedals whatsoever straight into a clean Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo.
Was it described as being faulty when you bought it? If not, it would be worth contacting the ebay seller to point out it's faulty to see what he/she says. Even if it's second-hand you have some rights under Ebay's policies i.e. stuff has to be described properly, being faulty is not ok if it's described as working.

(You have the volume up on the pedal, right? I apologise for insulting your intelligence but it's worth checking before I tell you to annoy the seller )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Was it described as being faulty when you bought it? If not, it would be worth contacting the ebay seller to point out it's faulty to see what he/she says. Even if it's second-hand you have some rights under Ebay's policies i.e. stuff has to be described properly, being faulty is not ok if it's described as working.

(You have the volume up on the pedal, right? I apologise for insulting your intelligence but it's worth checking before I tell you to annoy the seller )

I checked the volume. I'm dumb but not that dumb. Looks like it will be a refund. Was hoping it wouldn't come to that.
Bought from a private seller?

Is it an old ACA version or a PSA one? (there should be a sticker next to the dc jack).
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
Bought from a private seller?

Is it an old ACA version or a PSA one? (there should be a sticker next to the dc jack).

Yep private seller. It's an ACA version.
Quote by greeny23
Tried running it at 12v? That's essentially what ACA is.

And is there a way to do that without buying a boss aca adaptor? I've been trying it with a 9V battery and a 9V wall power supply. Also, is running it with a 9V battery likely to cause this issue?
Last edited by FPS Scotland at Jul 4, 2015,
It should work fine with a 9 volt battery -- it's designed to do so. But a 9-volt power supply will not work well, or so I've been told. But for some reason, if you run one off a daisy chain it will work fine. The Hm-2 is kind of a finicky pedal. Mine sounds different when running a battery vs. daisy chained. I prefer the sound it gets with a battery -- but man, it eats them up fast, and I even remember to unplug the input jack when I'm not using it. I might be crazy, but it even sounds different using a rechargeable 9-volt (doesn't sound as good.) There's a certain point in the battery' s life where it sounds the best -- not dying, but not new either.

I'm afraid it sounds like yours is dead though. If you get it working or get another one though, I can help you set it up with your 6505.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
It should work fine with a 9 volt battery -- it's designed to do so. But a 9-volt power supply will not work well, or so I've been told. But for some reason, if you run one off a daisy chain it will work fine. The Hm-2 is kind of a finicky pedal. Mine sounds different when running a battery vs. daisy chained. I prefer the sound it gets with a battery -- but man, it eats them up fast, and I even remember to unplug the input jack when I'm not using it. I might be crazy, but it even sounds different using a rechargeable 9-volt (doesn't sound as good.) There's a certain point in the battery' s life where it sounds the best -- not dying, but not new either.

I'm afraid it sounds like yours is dead though. If you get it working or get another one though, I can help you set it up with your 6505.

I had a feeling it may have been dead, but the weird thing is that it still produces noise. I can still hear it through the amp, just at an insanely low volume. Makes absolutely no sense to me.
Also, another interesting thing is that when I play with it, I can hear the clean sound of the amp as well as the distorted sound of the pedal, but again very quiet.
Quote by FPS Scotland
I checked the volume. I'm dumb but not that dumb. Looks like it will be a refund. Was hoping it wouldn't come to that.

haha no worries. just thought it was better to check before you contacted the seller.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?