Hey guys,
I'm a complete beginner at guitar and have just finished learning my open chords. I own both, an electric and acoustic guitar, but I've spent the majority of my time learning on acoustic.

Strumming the open chords on acoustic sounds absolutely beautiful and I LOVE the sounds. On the other hand, strumming open chords on electric sounds horrible and nothing like the acoustic sounds. However when I tried a few power chords on electric, they sound amazing!

So I'm beginning to think the electric guitar just isn't meant for rhythm-style strumming - it's meant primarily for power chords, NOT the open chords. Basically, use an acoustic for rhythm and use an electric for leads with power chords. Is this a correct assessment? Or do musicians also play rhythm with open chords on electric?
Last edited by bryanmcand at Jul 4, 2015,
Nonsense. Guitarists can and do play every chord on every guitar. It just depends on the music you want to make. Not every chord pattern works in every situation but fish around a while for one that does. Don't lock yourself in a false box.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 4, 2015,
Chuck Berry amongst other well known artists would often play rhythm on his electric, but yeah, I see your point, I can't play the same stuff on acoustic as/or the electric.
My guess is that you have a cheap starter pack amp which you're using to get a heavy sound through your electric. If I'm wrong, ignore the next paragraph.

Through an amp like that, the full chords that you play on your acoustic are bound to sound bad. You may think you like the sound of power chords through it, but once you learn to play better & invest in a better amp, you'll realise that even the power chords didn't sound great through that amp, they just sounded less bad than full chords.

FWIW, I'd always recommend learning the basics on an acoustic first anyway - it promotes better technique than learning on an electric IMO.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud