I am looking to upgrade the pickups and hardware on my strat, and could use some guidance with choosing quality parts. I need black hardware, but I can't seem to find "quality" black tremolo assemblies. Hoping someone could recommend a reputable source! I currently have a MIM Fender, looking for something greater than/equal to my current assembly, but in black. Thanks in advance!

Schaller is one place to consider without running to guitarfetish.com , stewmac.com should have some excellent suggestions. Schaller makes tuners to strap locks as well. Fender even got them (Schaller) to design them some locking tuners.

pickups are pickups as long as its the right balance of you finding the right EQ and sound and being excited about it. So Dimarzio to Seymour Duncan , EMG to hand wound oh they should be great because they're this expensive brands as long as you get that sound. I'd suggest hum cancelling 4 wire pickups regardless of brand if you stay passive.

CTS pots , A250k (volume) , B250k for the tone.
if you go push pull pots go with Alpha , Bourns or Dimarzio (CTS)
wire - 24 AWG if you need new wire, there is shielded wire out there too
a CRL regular 5 way blade switch , oaks and grigsby super 5 way switch (for advanced wiring)
a switchcraft input jack
copper shielding does wonders too
most if not all of this can be purchased from stewmac.com or guitarelectronics.com
wiring - seymourduncan.com regardless if you use their pickups or not they have the best wiring diagrams to learn on.

You can do a lot with the second tone pots instead of the boring way fender does theirs. I personally like the two band EQ idea and a 7 way mod allowing me to use the two outer or all 3 pickups if i flick a switch. The wiring isn't too much harder either
Quote by Tallwood13
Schaller is one place to consider without running to guitarfetish.com , stewmac.com should have some excellent suggestions. Schaller makes tuners to strap locks as well. Fender even got them (Schaller) to design them some locking tuners.

pickups are pickups as long as its the right balance of you finding the right EQ and sound and being excited about it. So Dimarzio to Seymour Duncan , EMG to hand wound oh they should be great because they're this expensive brands as long as you get that sound. I'd suggest hum cancelling 4 wire pickups regardless of brand if you stay passive.

CTS pots , A250k (volume) , B250k for the tone.
if you go push pull pots go with Alpha , Bourns or Dimarzio (CTS)
wire - 24 AWG if you need new wire, there is shielded wire out there too
a CRL regular 5 way blade switch , oaks and grigsby super 5 way switch (for advanced wiring)
a switchcraft input jack
copper shielding does wonders too
most if not all of this can be purchased from stewmac.com or guitarelectronics.com
wiring - seymourduncan.com regardless if you use their pickups or not they have the best wiring diagrams to learn on.

You can do a lot with the second tone pots instead of the boring way fender does theirs. I personally like the two band EQ idea and a 7 way mod allowing me to use the two outer or all 3 pickups if i flick a switch. The wiring isn't too much harder either

You just inspired me to do so much more with wiring! Thank you very much for the advice!

Quote by stratanswers
Babicz makes a black trem that will fit, very high quality, check them out

Very nice, I really like these. If I get an assembly with a different string spacing than my current setup, will it throw the rest of my setup off? I can't even find out my current string spacing!

Is this 2 7/32"?

Pretty sure this is the guitar I have:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-special-edition-standard-stratocaster-hss-electric-guitar?pfm=sp#productDetail
Last edited by XAkitAX at Jul 12, 2015,
no problem, any questions regarding custom wirings let me know. I've done everything except half out of phase on my personal guitars.

for any bridge though when you switch it remember to adjust the string height to your liking , the trussrod and the saddles position so you get the best possible intonation.
Quote by Tallwood13
no problem, any questions regarding custom wirings let me know. I've done everything except half out of phase on my personal guitars.

for any bridge though when you switch it remember to adjust the string height to your liking , the trussrod and the saddles position so you get the best possible intonation.

Will probably be sending you a pm soon sir! I'm scared to mess with the truss rod, so maybe i'll just have a tech set it up for me

Also, edited my last post with a pic of my string spacing. Not good with measurements though, is that considered 2 7/32"?

Here is the pic:

Hard to tell from the pic but mim should be 2 1/16, narrow spaced. More importantly, the mounting screw spacing should be the same. Most usa strats have 2 7/32 screw spacing, even the studs for the two point trems. Don't worry about the truss rod, if the neck okay now a new bridge won't change it.