Bought on - March, 2012
Problem since - An year or so.
Model - Marshall MG CDR15

Symptoms - Out of nowhere, my amp stops to produce any sound. Mostly it happens at the beginning but sometimes in the middle of playing. Previously it used to be only with channels, for example if i'm having trouble on distortion then i just switched to clean and it used to work or i could strum my guitar vigorously and switch to and fourth between channels and it would work. Now it does not fix it, the only way to fix it is to crank the volume up and vigorously start strumming and it will crackle a bit but then start back suddenly with loud volume and then i'd just reduce the volume and play.

I opened my amp up and everything seems pretty fine to me, the pictures and audio recording -

Audio

Please tell me what could be the possible problem. Its really hard to find even a half-decent guy who can fix an amp over here and even if i have to take it to someone, i don't wish to get duped.

P.S. - Don't judge my playing based on it, it was merely for demonstration of fault. Not Any Performance. Most of you will find first minute enough to see the fault however i did notice crackling a little later as well. However, after i fix it by turning the volume up and stuff, it generally works fine for 0.5 to 3 hours.
Quote by varundbest
Bought on - March, 2012
Problem since - An year or so.
Model - Marshall MG CDR15

Symptoms - Out of nowhere, my amp stops to produce any sound. Mostly it happens at the beginning but sometimes in the middle of playing. Previously it used to be only with channels, for example if i'm having trouble on distortion then i just switched to clean and it used to work or i could strum my guitar vigorously and switch to and fourth between channels and it would work. Now it does not fix it, the only way to fix it is to crank the volume up and vigorously start strumming and it will crackle a bit but then start back suddenly with loud volume and then i'd just reduce the volume and play.

I opened my amp up and everything seems pretty fine to me, the pictures and audio recording -

Audio

Please tell me what could be the possible problem. Its really hard to find even a half-decent guy who can fix an amp over here and even if i have to take it to someone, i don't wish to get duped.

P.S. - Don't judge my playing based on it, it was merely for demonstration of fault. Not Any Performance. Most of you will find first minute enough to see the fault however i did notice crackling a little later as well. However, after i fix it by turning the volume up and stuff, it generally works fine for 0.5 to 3 hours.

Check the board and see if anything has come loose. Check that everything is connected and seated properly. Check your speaker cables and your guitar's patch cord as well. You can also look closely at the capacitors and see if any are leaking.

Aside from that, I can't really help you with the board (I'm not a huge expert) but what I can say is that considering your amp is a cheap practice amp (and an MG at that) I personally recommend you don't get it fixed up at a repair shop. You might find the repair would cost you more than replacing it outright
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yeah if it's broken then get a new amp as it will definitely cost way more to fix than it's worth.
Very likely vibration over the years caused loose soldering joints in one of the chips or transistors pins on the board.

Since there're no SMT parts, there're a few ways to fix this yourself.

1. Trace the board with a multi-meter to see broken connections, this requires more skill so it's out of your league.

2. Resolder every pin legs you can find on the board, just a tiny dab of soldering lead and iron. This freshens every single pin that has a solder on it, so you can basically hope to catch one with a loose solder joint while at the same time reinforce and prevent future loose joints by refreshing them with new lead. This is the easiest method provided you know how to do soldering.
Quote by varundbest
This looks more like some part failure than just soldering issue i guess....

Parts can fail due to loose solder joints. Unless you've got a way to trace that part, resoldering all is the easiest unless you want to pay a tech to fix it, which may cost more than the amp itself.
Quote by varundbest
So i'll re-solder every joint then....

Or pay attention to what you've been told:
Quote by monwobobbo
yeah if it's broken then get a new amp as it will definitely cost way more to fix than it's worth.

This is the answer.

You currently have a worthless amp that may well have served you well for the time you've had it, but after 3 years it's time to upgrade.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Or pay attention to what you've been told:

This is the answer.

You currently have a worthless amp that may well have served you well for the time you've had it, but after 3 years it's time to upgrade.

I've recently bought a second guitar.... Ibanez with Floyd Rose....
That doesn't change the fact that you need a new amp
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
This sounds like a bad cable or loose connection in the path to me. Have you changed the cable from the guitar to amp?

Does the amp act up with both of your guitars or just one?

Try to isolate the problem a bit more.

You could also try to clean the input jack on the amp with contact cleaner
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Yeah, before you cave into these folks pushing you to buy a new amp, consider that it might not be the problem at all.

Have you tried having your guitar's output jack checked to see if there's something intermittent in the connections there? Have you tried your amp with other guitars? Have you tried swapping out the guitar cable for a brand new one? If you've got pedals, take them out of the equation and JUST use the guitar and cable when you're testing. Any chance your volume/tone pots have loose wires? Have you tried your guitar and cable into another amp?

As mentioned, a lot of things can cause your issue and it may not be the amp at all. Isolate the problem.
Quote by dspellman
Yeah, before you cave into these folks pushing you to buy a new amp, consider that it might not be the problem at all.

Have you tried having your guitar's output jack checked to see if there's something intermittent in the connections there? Have you tried your amp with other guitars? Have you tried swapping out the guitar cable for a brand new one? If you've got pedals, take them out of the equation and JUST use the guitar and cable when you're testing. Any chance your volume/tone pots have loose wires? Have you tried your guitar and cable into another amp?

As mentioned, a lot of things can cause your issue and it may not be the amp at all. Isolate the problem.

Okay, i'll try that. It shows issues with both my guitars though and i have 4-5 cables.