I love this head but there is next to no information about it online. I have the Peavey guide but it's rather simple. I youtube search for this model and get 1 real video. Does anyone know any bands or simple mods I can do to this head?

Does slapping an EQ in the loop help at all? Should I dummy plug it?

It came with JJ's in the pre that had just been replaced and I went from busted worn out Groove Tubes to Ruby 6L6's which helped tame the shreking hi-mids from it.

It's a blue strip version. I see a lot of info and demos on the Ultra+, but not the Ultra.
Also, could someone tell me why this head weighs at least 10+ pounds more than any other head I've carried around?

Thanks for any input!

http://images.craigslist.org/00I0I_dFdYUeDtyin_600x450.jpg
i use an Ultra 2x12 as my main amp. no reason to really put an eq in the loop as the amp has an active eq on the crunch and ultra channels already. no reason to dummy plug it either (both of those are usually suggested for the valveking).

what exactly is the problem you are having? the Ultra wasn't really used by anyone famous so you'll be hard pressed to find vids featuring it that way. the Ultra evolved into the JSX . overall they are a great amp and undervalued (although the word is getting out and tey are starting to cimb some in value).
Quote by monwobobbo
i use an Ultra 2x12 as my main amp. no reason to really put an eq in the loop as the amp has an active eq on the crunch and ultra channels already. no reason to dummy plug it either (both of those are usually suggested for the valveking).

what exactly is the problem you are having? the Ultra wasn't really used by anyone famous so you'll be hard pressed to find vids featuring it that way. the Ultra evolved into the JSX . overall they are a great amp and undervalued (although the word is getting out and tey are starting to cimb some in value).

Which is exactly why I grabbed one for 250 while I could! I love the amp, I was just wondering if there were any "secret" little upgrades I could try out. I don't know why but I love this thing through the Peavey Sheffield's in the 5150 cabinet. I tried them through V30's and they sounded pretty good too. I tried them in other speakers and the high mid range just killed it for me. Never knew how important speakers are.

Only problem is I have it out in storage because the smoke smell from the cabinet is terrible. Not sure what to do there. Did the clorox wipe down, then lysol, then vinegar water 5 times. Terrible stink on the Tolex.

I heard somewhere Michael Jackson's guitarist once used an Ultra... lol.
[quote="'[Parry"]']Which is exactly why I grabbed one for 250 while I could! I love the amp, I was just wondering if there were any "secret" little upgrades I could try out. I don't know why but I love this thing through the Peavey Sheffield's in the 5150 cabinet. I tried them through V30's and they sounded pretty good too. I tried them in other speakers and the high mid range just killed it for me. Never knew how important speakers are.

Only problem is I have it out in storage because the smoke smell from the cabinet is terrible. Not sure what to do there. Did the clorox wipe down, then lysol, then vinegar water 5 times. Terrible stink on the Tolex.

I heard somewhere Michael Jackson's guitarist once used an Ultra... lol.

not aware of any "secret upgrades" as the amp is fine as is. yeah speakers are important. remember that the eq is different from standard amps. 1-5 are regular passive settings like on any amp but 6-10 are active and boost whatever tone function it is. this can make it tricky to set but does give you options not otherwise available.

jennifer batton did a couple of ads for that amp so may very well have used them with michael. i'm sure other name players used them but no one really endorsed them. obviously joe satriani liked them as the JSX is basically the same amp but had seperate tone controls for each channel.