Yo,

The title doesn't tell a lot but what I'm interested in is the sound Slash sometimes makes when playing solos etc. A good example is the song "Carolina" in which Slash makes that special wah-like sound.

Does he just mumble something like "Daahdoohwaahdaa" in the mic to produce this sound or what? He has also done it while playing God father's solo. Is there a name for this "style" or is it just something Slash has invented?
https://youtu.be/-ZcAfslYWIc
Last edited by Billie_J at Jul 4, 2015,
he's using a talk box. nothing new been around since the 70s. basically it runs your voice through the guitar pickups. if you look at the vid he has a tube running to his mouth. he talks into it and the voice carries through the guitar pickups and is amplified.

Heil makes them as well as a couple of other manufactures. Joe Perry used one for Sweet Emotion (aerosmith) and of course Peter Frampton famously used one on the live version of Do You Feel Like I Do.
Quote by monwobobbo
he's using a talk box. nothing new been around since the 70s. basically it runs your voice through the guitar pickups. if you look at the vid he has a tube running to his mouth. he talks into it and the voice carries through the guitar pickups and is amplified.

I'm reasonably sure this is the opposite of how a talkbox works. Guitar sound goes into the tube and into his mouth, is shaped by the mouth and goes into the microphone. Hence why talkboxes are generally pretty easy effects to make, just has to play the sound into a tube. Also why the tube is generally attached to the side of the mic.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'm reasonably sure this is the opposite of how a talkbox works. Guitar sound goes into the tube and into his mouth, is shaped by the mouth and goes into the microphone. Hence why talkboxes are generally pretty easy effects to make, just has to play the sound into a tube. Also why the tube is generally attached to the side of the mic.

Yeah, that's how they work, it's why there's a mic involved at all. Also: you can't really run your voice through the pickups, it actually just doesn't work. If you see people shouting in to their pickups and it gets picked up it's because they're causing the strings to vibrate with their voice.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 4, 2015,