Hiya,

So I've been playing electric guitar for 7 years or so on and off but have never had a proper acoustic before, just a rubbish classical guitar that I got 7 years ago.

I'm looking for a acoustic guitar for around £350 or less (could go up to £400), and I'm from the UK. I'm planning on doing equal amounts of fingerstyle and chord work/picking looking at mainly folk and blues/rock stuff- think ben howard, damien rice, bob dylan as well as more poppy stuff like ed sheeran so I guess it needs to be fairly versatile.

A cutaway would be nice, and I'm not a massive fan of the colour of most spruce tops, I think cedar and mahogany looks nicer but obviously I get that spruce is versatile which is why its popular and I don't mind going for a spruce top.

I've been looking at some Takamines online but unfortunately they don't seem too widespread here in the UK so I don't think I'll be able to try one out

Thanks for the help- anything I end up buying will sound a million miles better than what I've got at the moment so I'm looking forward to picking up a new guitar!
I'll suggest two makes to look at - Yamaha and Recording King. Yamaha have a very good reptuation, and Recording King seem to be well made, eg resettable neck joints. I think that Tanglewood may be a Brit importer brand, and I've played a lot of nice examples of those here in Oz.
Tony Done's recommendations of Yamaha and Recording King are excellent ones. I own examples of each brand - and the Recording King especially is a great guitar (ROS-16 triple 0).

Other brands I'd also recommend:

Cort, Crafter, LAG, Tanglewood, Vintage.
Thanks for the responses guys.

Is the shape going to have that much of an effect? I'm wary of getting a dreadnought because I am quite small (5"6') and my arms are pretty short but is the difference from a 00/000 that different?

Also, there are a number of guitar shops nearby me but I'm not sure they would all stock recording king/cort/crafter/lag, I will go and have a look but are there any more common brands & models in the vein of vintage and yamaha that I should look out for?
yamaha is probably one of the most common brands around. you won't find new martins or taylors in your price range.

as far as size, yes, a dread will have more oomph, but i personally like 0, 00 and 000 sized guitars, although the lower bout of a 000 (the area your arm will be over) is barely any smaller than a dread.

btw, i'm 5'3", and for years i played a dread - till i was well over 50.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by Eddie_SG
Thanks for the responses guys.

Is the shape going to have that much of an effect? I'm wary of getting a dreadnought because I am quite small (5"6') and my arms are pretty short but is the difference from a 00/000 that different?

Also, there are a number of guitar shops nearby me but I'm not sure they would all stock recording king/cort/crafter/lag, I will go and have a look but are there any more common brands & models in the vein of vintage and yamaha that I should look out for?

Best thing to do is visit all those nearby guitar shops and play as many guitars as you can, Try different brands, models, shapes and wood types. See which you like best in terms of sound, playability and looks. Remember that the shop guitars will probably have at least 12 gauge strings on them so you might find them a tad harder to play if you are used to electrics. The guitars may also benefit for a set up. You can get that done and also fit lighter gauge strings which will improve playability - I use 10 or 11 gauge strings on my dreadnoughts - I like the way they play and prefer the sound. Don't worry too much about all the perceptions of "tonewoods" and the name on the headstock - for a PacRim made guitar at your budget it's hard to go wrong these days.

Get the one you like best.