So I have a tube amp (Traynor YCS 50 combo) that has enough gain to give me hard rock distortion, but can't get me into high gain metal territory. I've tried boosting the amp with a Bad Monkey but it still doesn't get me enough gain.

Now, if I have my amp's gain cranked, can I add a moderate-gain pedal like a Boss Blues Driver or even Boss DS-1 to get me into high-gain metal territory? Will the gain from those pedals stack on top of the gain from my tube amp to give me higher gain level? Or will the pedal's gain just sit alongside my tube amp's gain and give me a thicker gain sound, where the gain/distortion level will only max out at whichever item in the chain (the tube vs the pedal) has the highest distortion?

So essentially, can I add a distortion pedal, like a Blues Driver, to my hard rock tube amp's gain to get it into high-gain metal territory? Or do I essentially have to use a metal pedal (ie: Metal Muff) on my clean channel or buy a higher gain amp to get the gain level I want?

P.S. I don't own any distortion pedals, only a shitty Digitech RP250 MFX.
Last edited by Barricade_28 at Jul 5, 2015,
It all depends on the combination. With some amps throwing additional distortion can turn into some amazing oscillating square wave insanity. That’s what a lot of doom bands do—crank a big amp into overdrive and then push it even harder with a muff or fuzz.

With bad combinations the sound can get overly compressed, turning it into a mud. And you can even find combinations that phase cancel, causing a massive drop in volume and muddy tone.

To push an amp into modern metal territory it has to be a fairly high gain amp to begin with. If a Bad Monkey isn’t getting you there you should start looking at metal pedals. But not the Metal Muff, those things sound awful.
I suggest dialing a classic/hard rock tone and using a low gain overdrive (I.e. tube screamer clone with more than just a single tone knob) in front, starting with drive at 0 and turning level progressively up.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by jpnyc

To push an amp into modern metal territory it has to be a fairly high gain amp to begin with. If a Bad Monkey isn’t getting you there you should start looking at metal pedals. But not the Metal Muff, those things sound awful.

Interesting about the differences with combos you mentioned.

What would you suggest for a decent metal pedal that's not too expensive. Say around $100 or less?
Last edited by Barricade_28 at Jul 4, 2015,
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I suggest dialing a classic/hard rock tone and using a low gain overdrive (I.e. tube screamer clone with more than just a single tone knob) in front, starting with drive at 0 and turning level progressively up.

I believe that's what I tried with the Bad Monkey. Drive at 0, level at max to add a boost on the gain channel. On its gain channel the amp also has a built-in boost switch with it's own level control that adds to the gain, so boosting on top of this typically makes the amp feedback a lot and make it quite noisy.
Quote by Barricade_28
What would you suggest for a decent metal pedal that's not too expensive. Say around $100 or less?

For under $100 a used Digitech TL-2 is all I can think of. Unless you like doom, then get an Ehx Big Muff. High-gain distortion pedals are not where you want to shop for bargains. Up your budget to $150 and you can get something nice from Monstro in Brazil: http://monstroeffects.blogspot.com.br
Quote by Barricade_28
I believe that's what I tried with the Bad Monkey. Drive at 0, level at max to add a boost on the gain channel. On its gain channel the amp also has a built-in boost switch with it's own level control that adds to the gain, so boosting on top of this typically makes the amp feedback a lot and make it quite noisy.

Whoops, missed that part. There are versions that have more gain on tap; CM-2 and Green Rhino chief among them. From what I get/read, the idea with boosting is that you want to lay off the drive knob or else things start to get muddy.

Maybe a clean boost in front? Like, a custom shop Micro amp or a spark booster. I think those have a bit more gain on tap in the level knob.

The highest quality metal pedal I've had was a TL-2; It's good with crappy amps because it'll outdo the drive channels but I don't think you'd need it for this.

Also: From what I've played (i.e. a VK 212 with boost option) boost option amps aren't the best. Vk's, marshall MA series. Decent, but the consensus is that Drive on+boost off+a pedal boosting>Drive on+built in boost.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jul 4, 2015,
Quote by jpnyc
For under $100 a used Digitech TL-2 is all I can think of. Unless you like doom, then get an Ehx Big Muff. High-gain distortion pedals are not where you want to shop for bargains. Up your budget to $150 and you can get something nice from Monstro in Brazil: http://monstroeffects.blogspot.com.br

Most "Metal" pedals are shit.
But the TL-2 I thought was actually pretty good.
Although I ran mine into a clean amp (AC30 to be precise).

I'd look into a Suhr Riot if you can find one in your price range.
I've been gassing for one of those for awhile now.
yes you can do that. you just need to find a pedal which sounds good when combined with your amp- some pedals sound better into clean channels while some sound better combined with amp distortion. Also different pedals' voicings will determine which amps they sound good with.

as MHsteve said, the bad monkey doesn't have a ton of level boost available on tap- there are pedals, as he said, which have more, like the hardwire tube overdrive, visual sound route 808 etc. Also once you have the level on full you can increase the pedal's drive/overdrive control a little if you're not getting enough boost to get a bit more.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?