I bought a couple kit guitars (a 10 year old saw it and just had to have it, and it should have been completed a week before it arrived). I know these guitars wont be worth much other then the time spent with the 10 year old. Started sanding the bodies and any finishing information I can gather mentions that I need VM&P Naphtha, everything I can find says it should be available at some of the big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Rona etc) I do search on there web sites and if I get any results it has nothing to do with the product I am looking for. I am located in the Niagara region of Ontario, I don't think it is a banned substance for it is available as coleman camp fuel but am unsure if this is safe to use on the guitar body or if there are any other chemicals or additives added to this. I also know it is in zippo lighter fluid, but same situation I dont know if it can be used or if anything is added to it that would harm the wood in the guitar body that I am working on. Would one of these work or would it be better to find some other substitute. Thank you in advance for any opinions or help you can shed on this matter.
Zippo lighter fluid is fine. It is about as Naptha as Naptha gets. It both cleans and evaporates very quickly. It won't harm the wood.

I use it all the time.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Jul 6, 2015,
You mean Naptha? It's not hard to find it's just that manufacturers confuse the issue by calling it 'lighter fluid' or 'cleaning fluid' or 'contact cleaner' or a multitude of other names other than just calling it for what it is. Naptha.

Zippo 'lighter fluid' is just Naptha. It's written on the Zippo can as the active ingredient.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Jul 8, 2015,