I am looking to get a guitar with a hardtail bridge like the type seen here rather than a tune-o-matic style bridge because I find the hardtails feel better to me when palm muting.

It will mainly be for Thrash type stuff like Slayer etc. although pickups don't matter too much because I'd probably swap them out for JBs anyway. Also I'm not too fussy on body shape or anything other than the fact I don't particularly like archtops.

It'll mostly be played through amp modelling for practice although I do have a valve amp which is a JCM800 "clone".

I live in Brisbane, Australia and I'd be looking to spend $600 to $1000 and totally willing to go second hand. Have you guys got any good suggestions?

As an aside, why is it so hard to find hardtail bridges? Almost every fixed bridge guitar I see is tune-o-matic style.
Can't you find that guitar in Australia?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Ibanez RG and S series at the very least have hardtail versions. Granted, the stock pups are often pish, but since you're considering a change anyway...
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Ooh yeah I forgot RGs had hardtails, I'll definitely check those out as well thanks.

Also I would love to try that Schecter Stealth out but I'm having trouble finding one around me.
Quote by ThrashingDeath
Ooh yeah I forgot RGs had hardtails, I'll definitely check those out as well thanks.

Also I would love to try that Schecter Stealth out but I'm having trouble finding one around me.

Perhaps email Schecter and ask where they have shops in Australia?
Worked when I asked a shop here for the Mini Wah
Fly on, fly on
They have more guitars with this type of bridge btw, I believe the entire Banshee series, as well as the Blackjacks (not ATX or SLS, which have TOMs), and having had a chance to play both, I can do nothing but recommend them. They might be slightly above your budget new, but you might find them used for less.
Washburn, the Ola Englund signature 6 strings has that IIRC.
Fly on, fly on
Agile uses those bridges as well. How about just getting a tremolo and blocking it? Those feel pretty good during palm muting.
Pretty much every Ibanez RG, as well as Schecter Banshee will have a fixed bridge and a flat top.

There's lots of humbucker routed Telecasters, as well as the Ibanez FR series, Schecter PT, ESP/LTD TE.

Some others quick research has found: Godin Redline, Charvel San Dimas hardtail,
Jackson Pro Dinky DK2 models with "T" at the end.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Another vote for the RG hardtails. I have a Prestige w/ a gibraltar. The finishes on the bridge wear off fast but they are solid.
Schecter for sure if you can find any near you. RG's would be cool too. I've had an S series Ibanez and it just sounded way too thin probably due to the paper thin body.