I have recently bought a Yamaha 112j from a someone who kept it for 3 years. It was like new, he almost never played the guitar. the strings were rusty, and fret wires were dull, though completely round without any flat parts or dents. the guitar still had that plastic film on the scratch plate.

Although I am a beginner, I am not satisfied at all with the sound of the guitar (a bit audiophile). The guitar itself plays well, however, the bridge looks oxidized and makes a buzzing noise on the low E string.This does not affect me as I play via amplitube through my headphones (HD600 and O2 amp).

I want first of all to change the pickups, a humbucker for metal in the bridge position and stacked humbucker in the mid and neck positions, for rock and well, other stuff. I hate that static that even the stock humbucker produces. My budget is $200~250 - still a student. I live in Mauritius, so shipping will cost a lot too, and I could not find any online shop that ships here apart from eBay.

Any recommendations??
which amp are you using? the amp affects the overall tone a lot, probably more than the guitar and pickups (which is not to say those aren't important too, but less so until you have a good amp, the amp (including speakers) is kind of the limiting factor).

are you sure the bridge is what's causing the buzzing? there is a number of things which could cause that.

(I apologise if you think I'm telling you stuff you already know. I'm pretty rubbish at setups, I'm just making the point that sometimes what you think is causing the problem isn't.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As I mentioned, I use amplitube on my pc. The buzzing sound definitely comes from the bridge. When I hold part where the low e string is attached, the buzzing stops.
My main problem with the sound is the harshness/graininess of distortion. I even get that problem when I use pedals. The second thing is I wanted a better tone. I tried everything on amplitube and it is getting pretty close to what I want. When using no distortion, however, the guitar sounds like shit. Do not get me wrong, the 112j is an amazing guitar to play, I'd even say that it is better than my friends squire strat. I would thus assume that Yamaha cut on the electronics, but kept the same standards as building guitars more than twice the price. The guitar does sound cheap when trying to get a clean sound.
All these things did not change even when I tried it on real amps. If I manage to get a great sound out of it, I would safely say that this is the best guitar I have ever held.
If you have tried it through a decent amp, then it appears that you would be happier with new pickups. - They are often the weak point in inexpensive guitars, and I would certainly upgrade them if I liked the rest of the guitar. - But you have to know what you want compared with what you have now.
the bridge would be my #1 concern , perhaps the guitar fetish 6 bolt tremolo with the brass block. Look for loose parts or whatever before tossing it just yet.

Since you're on a budget I recommend guitarfetish.com they have it all. I usually don't recommend this site a lot but you can get everything you'd want from pickups to bridges. As far as strings this is my supplier. stringsandbeyond.com , certain times of the year you get free international shipping too.

frets can be polished and new tuners or whatever are nice but small steps I guess are where to start with. I always love to show people how great a beginner guitar sounds like if a pro plays it even through a really low end amp. Had one guy who was a slash impersonator play one of my ESP or custom BC Rich guitars through a 10w amp to show me what the amp could do and in a trade and it is a reminder of talent out weighing gear.
Woops I must have missed the bit where you said you used amplitube. Sorry

^ Yeah upgrading the bridge might help with the buzzing, and if you get one with a decent steel (or brass) block, that should help the tone as well.

Quote by Tony Done
If you have tried it through a decent amp, then it appears that you would be happier with new pickups. - They are often the weak point in inexpensive guitars, and I would certainly upgrade them if I liked the rest of the guitar. - But you have to know what you want compared with what you have now.

Yeah if the problem is there regardless of which amp, then the guitar is the problem. Was just making sure.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I do not know any things except for the basics of bridges and pickups. What are some recommended models??
I was thinking of putting a Seymour Duncan jb as a bridge pickup. Would that be a good choice??
^ Could you elaborate a bit more on the types of music you want to play with the pickups?

The wilkinson bridges are quite good and not too expensive, if they're available where you are.

http://jhs.co.uk/wilkinson.html#vibratos You can normally get them a fair bit less than the prices which are listed there, I think. I've seen them for £25-£30 normally (unless the prices have gone up recently). You want the ones with the steel block for the best tone. You just need to figure out which ones would be a direct swap for your pacifica (I'm guessing you could email wilkinson/JHS to ask). the pacifica has a 6-screw trem, so I'm guessing it's going to be either the WVCSBCR, WV6SBCR, WVPCSBCR or WVP6SBCR.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll play mostly metal, hard rock and stuff.
I do appreciate most kinds of music though, and thus I'll play some "lighter"music too. Mostly rock/metal though!

Unfortunately, the Wilkinson tremolos aren't available in Mauritius. Guess I'll stick with guitarfetish as Tallwood13 said. FYI, my Indonesian 112j has the mexican spacing, 10.5mm, with the tremolo arm hole in line with the screws. I want to change the top bridge too though, where the saddles are. Then, would spacing still matter??

About the pickups, what do you guys think of sd jb's as the humbucker, cool rails at the neck and a stacked humbucker at the middle position?
This is expensive though, and I do not know what tone I would get from these. A cheaper solution with better sound that would fit my taste is always welcomed!!
Last edited by ishfaaq at Jul 6, 2015,
ah that sucks about the wilkinson stuff. no worries. I haven't tried the GFS stuff.

could you name some bands whose tones you like? just in case your idea of rock and metal is different from mine.

a JB kind of sounds (to my ears) like a fairly hot pickup but which still has a fairly classic voicing. it's pretty middy, and doesn't have a supertight bass. in some guitars it can be too trebly, too.

i haven't tried the coolrails.

most stacked humbuckers sound more like strat-style single coils.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love five finger death punch's sound, both their rhythm and solo guitars. They have this nice tone without any harshness.

BTW, what is a hot pickup?? Is it just one that plays really loud?? (Noob question)
Last edited by ishfaaq at Jul 6, 2015,
^ yeah it's just more output. if you're playing into a totally clean amp, it'll be louder. More likely, if you're playing into a distorted amp, it'll mean more distortion for any given gain setting on the amp.

i'm not that familiar with five finger death punch. zoltan bathory used to use bc riches and they seemed to have rockfield mafia pickups (which i haven't tried but which i think are pretty hot ceramic pickups), and he seems to use diamond (which are basically DBZ I think) guitars now with duncan pickups pegasus/sentient, EMGs, or Diamond custom pickups (not sure which one he uses).

I guess, the JB would probably work ok- it wouldn't be the worst pickup in the world for those tones. Whether it's the best-suited pickup, though, I dunno.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Great news for me! Guitar fetish sells a solid steel Wilkinson tremolo. I'll combine this with a JB as the bridge pickup, and a cool rails on the neck, and maybe later, a vintage rails at the middle position! Unless someone tells me that this would not be good...

One last problem though: can anyone link me to a guide on how to change these; I do not know any luthier in the island, save for a guy at a store who "knows guitars a bit well". He would certainly not accept to do any work on the guitar unless I was buying the parts from him, and his stuff are truly crap.
Quote by ishfaaq
I have recently bought a Yamaha 112j from a someone who kept it for 3 years. It was like new, he almost never played the guitar. the strings were rusty, and fret wires were dull, though completely round without any flat parts or dents. the guitar still had that plastic film on the scratch plate.

Although I am a beginner, I am not satisfied at all with the sound of the guitar (a bit audiophile). The guitar itself plays well, however, the bridge looks oxidized and makes a buzzing noise on the low E string.This does not affect me as I play via amplitube through my headphones (HD600 and O2 amp).

I want first of all to change the pickups, a humbucker for metal in the bridge position and stacked humbucker in the mid and neck positions, for rock and well, other stuff. I hate that static that even the stock humbucker produces. My budget is $200~250 - still a student. I live in Mauritius, so shipping will cost a lot too, and I could not find any online shop that ships here apart from eBay.

Any recommendations??

If you want to go noiseless and hot as on a budget, look into dragonfire active pickups. They are virtually identical to EMGs but 1/3 of the price. They need to be shipped from America, but for $30 / $40 for an active pickup, it's worth it.

On my YouTube channel (search AndyRooJ), I have them in the red Ibanez I use in the track "Monday Night". I don't want to accidently embed a video clip into your post.
Last edited by andyrooj at Jul 8, 2015,
If I go active on one pickup, will all the others need to be active too??

If they would need to, then are active single coil sized pickups a things, and do they sound good??

EDIT :
That is an amazing sound!!!!!!
There is absolutely no harshness in the distortion! How did you do that? Did you just remove all treble??
But after thinking about it, I use amplitube, and even with my stock pickups, I have to turn the input gain down to get an unclipped sound, so, active pickups would not be an option, I loved the sound though..
Could you tell me what you did apart from using the dragon pickups to achieve that sound please??
Last edited by ishfaaq at Jul 8, 2015,
Quote by ishfaaq
Great news for me! Guitar fetish sells a solid steel Wilkinson tremolo. I'll combine this with a JB as the bridge pickup, and a cool rails on the neck, and maybe later, a vintage rails at the middle position! Unless someone tells me that this would not be good...

One last problem though: can anyone link me to a guide on how to change these; I do not know any luthier in the island, save for a guy at a store who "knows guitars a bit well". He would certainly not accept to do any work on the guitar unless I was buying the parts from him, and his stuff are truly crap.

just check the tremolo is a direct swap for yours

Are you sure you want a humbucker-style pickup in the middle position? Obviously it's your guitar and your call (and maybe you do have a good reason for it), but to me a regular single coil pickup in the middle position would afford extra versatility. combined with coil splits on the bridge and neck humbuckers, that'd give you approximations of most of the strat tones as well as the humbucker ones. Most recorded humbucker tones are either bridge or neck humbuckers.

i'm sure seymour duncan has videos on its website about pickup swapping. youtube probably has vids about soldering and swapping pickups too (but just make sure the video maker is reputable).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I searched for video guided fit changing pickups on a pacifica guitar. I saw none... Guess I'll just have to follow a fender strat guide and improvise a bit.. XD

Concerning the pickups, I won't change the middle one for now due to lack of money. When I end up doing so, I'll probably put a regular single coil as you said.

BTW, what do you mean by a direct swap?? Is it that I can take any non USA strat tremolo and it'll fit??
yeah if you're lucky there'll be a trem available on the market where all the holes etc. match up so all you'll have to do is take the old one out and drop the new one right in. if you get one which isn't a direct swap you'll have to do drilling etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ishfaaq
If I go active on one pickup, will all the others need to be active too??

If they would need to, then are active single coil sized pickups a things, and do they sound good??

EDIT :
That is an amazing sound!!!!!!
There is absolutely no harshness in the distortion! How did you do that? Did you just remove all treble??
But after thinking about it, I use amplitube, and even with my stock pickups, I have to turn the input gain down to get an unclipped sound, so, active pickups would not be an option, I loved the sound though..
Could you tell me what you did apart from using the dragon pickups to achieve that sound please??

Hey Ishfaaq, I hope you got my email response to this?
Quote by andyrooj
Hey Ishfaaq, I hope you got my email response to this?

I checked again, and I did..
I'll try to do something similar on amplitube, Thanks.