I don't want to spend money on an actual multiple guitar rack because they're not cheap.

I don't want to build one completely out of PVC either, because frankly, it's way more effort than needed and PVC is not environmentally friendly and possibly toxic, so I don't want that anywhere near my room. Not exactly cheap after buying all the PVC parts either.

What I found is this indoor clothes rack, typical asian style, selling for about 15 dollars.

How much work do you think it would be to convert it to a multiple guitar rack? The height of the stand can be pushed all the way down for both sides and the guitar headstock will easily clear it. I reckon all I need to do is add soft cloth/foam at the bottom and separate the guitar necks with some mods.

I've seen some multiple guitar racks come up cheap on Craigslist and such. Keep your eyes peeled - I bet you'll find something.

Most projects that I've done like this have the reward of "I made that", but usually arent any less money than another product, and a whole lot of more hassle. I'm all for DIY though! Just doesnt always work out for the best.

Considering most modern plumbing is PVC, and I heat and bend PVC most days of the week as an electrician, I hope that you're wrong about it's high toxicity. Maybe I'll just go back to smoking, considering the crap I inhale every day anyway.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by sfx
What this guy did........

christ thats a pretty bad way of doing it......you would just about have to retune the 3 a side guitars every time you took them out of the rack. That top bar needs to be 6 inches lower
Quote by sytharnia1560
christ thats a pretty bad way of doing it......you would just about have to retune the 3 a side guitars every time you took them out of the rack. That top bar needs to be 6 inches lower

You have to retune your guitars all the time anyway because of humidity changes that causes them to go out of tune slightly, so it's not really an issue unless you're gigging.
If you are going to make something like in the photo then I'd come up with a method to stop the guitars 'domino-ing' and bashing into each other.
The proper racks have dividers to stop this.
Quote by SpiderM
If you are going to make something like in the photo then I'd come up with a method to stop the guitars 'domino-ing' and bashing into each other.
The proper racks have dividers to stop this.

Just thought of an easy solution for that. I'll just tie a rope from the top handle down to the outer lower bar for each separation I want a guitar to be in. Then tie one from top to the inner lower bar and I can tie a criss cross pattern from the 2 ropes.

Easy as pie. Much easier than building a pvc rack from scratch.
Quote by sfx
You have to retune your guitars all the time anyway because of humidity changes that causes them to go out of tune slightly, so it's not really an issue unless you're gigging.

Damn. Must be something wrong with mine, then, because they stay in tune, even with the window open for a week.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Damn. Must be something wrong with mine, then, because they stay in tune, even with the window open for a week.

Only if you depend on your weak inaccurate ears.

Electronic tuners will give much better/accurate reading.
Quote by sfx
Only if you depend on your weak inaccurate ears.

Electronic tuners will give much better/accurate reading.
Nice assumption, asshat.

The 2 tuners I use most often are a polytune and a snark clip on. They do agree everything sits pretty, and that's good enough for me.

And if it wasn't, I do have a chromatic tuner in the cupboard.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

You definately don't live in Melbourne, Oz then
Quote by SpiderM
You definately don't live in Melbourne, Oz then

No, but there is a wizard a few doors down. Maybe that has something to do with it
I live in new zealand and my guitars stay in tune all year round ... and even an electronic tuner tells me so
All done! Used newspapers wrapped with packing tape for wrapping the bottom poles and anywhere the guitar rests on.

Used T-shaped pvc support to prevent headstock falling down to other guitars, and some skewers just in case..... (not where the guitar rests it's head)

Total investment about 15 dollars and very little effort in modding compared to building pvc stand from scratch.

well done...glad to see you listened to the comments in this thread and made the improvements on the out guys work
Last edited by sytharnia1560 at Jul 8, 2015,