Hey everyone, new here so forgive me if I do something wrong here. Looking to upgrade my guitar for multiple reasons, which I will leave out unless needed. I have a few needs so I'll try to put out as much information as I can down here:

Budget: Preferably $700 or less, could go slightly higher (students don't make much money)

Area: South Jersey outside Philadelphia, there's a guitar center and a ton of small music stores within driving distance, but completely open to ordering something online.

What I play: A lot of metal (Metallica and such, nothing really heavy), a ton of rock, and a good bit of jazz. Therefore I need a guitar that is well rounded and will be good and comfortable playing pretty much anything.

Special needs: I'm not very picky with looks, style, color, etc. Only preference would be that I can attach my whammy bar. Other than that I don't need anything special.

Thanks for all help ahead of time. Feel free to ask me for any extra information and I'll be happy to provide it. Once again thanks for all help!
Seriously no preference for brands or shapes?

I'd take a look at Jackson X-Series guitars. For some different specs, BC Rich Villain or Jr V Series. Oh, and Agile, for a great deal.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Jul 5, 2015,
Schecter makes amazing budget guitars. They're perfect for metal.. They take the time to set each guitar up. The frets,intonation, neck, everything even on their cheaper models.

I have one from 2005 that is still playing super well, although it has a bit of fret wear from so much use, it plays and sounds amazing. Probably sounds a bit better than my Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty which is worth a bit more $. Definitely look into a schecter solo or anything similar in your price range, they're amazing guitars for metal and cleaner styles
Last edited by CrippleBastards at Jul 5, 2015,
Get a used PRS CE24
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Check out Jackson and ESP/LTD with Seymour Duncan passives in your favorite shape.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by CrippleBastards
Schecter makes amazing budget guitars. They're perfect for metal.. They take the time to set each guitar up. The frets,intonation, neck, everything even on their cheaper models.

I have to second this. Schecter makes some amazing gear for amazing prices - for example:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Damien-Platinum-6-with-Floyd-Rose-Electric-Guitar-108730045-i2891388.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C-1-FR-Platinum-Electric-Guitar-109112151-i3055178.gc

It's also worth looking at Ibanez. They're doing some pretty good stuff with their newer Iron Label series - just be sure you can put your hands on it before you buy, as their more recent QC isn't always the best. It sounds like you've got a lot of options as far as shops go, and you can get to them, so this won't be an issue for you. I'd suggest http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-Iron-Label-RGIR20E-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo-and-EMG-Pickups-H91433-i4420277.gc as a starting point. They also do some good standard S/RG series, but you'll have to change the pickups out, as Ibanez's stock pups tend to sound horrid.

The others ones like Jackson's new SLATX series are good and have been suggested here as well - you'll find them for around $699.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Thanks all! Thinking about heading to guitar center this weekend just to check out what they have in store. Any pickups I should be looking for specifically?
My personal choice around $700 is used LTD Deluxes.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ibanez 1550/1570/etc prestiges can be found at that price used quite easily, and are awesome guitars. however the factory pickups need replacement though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/