My amp has enough gain but I'm looking for a pedal to tighten up my sound. I have been considering the tube screamer but it has a mid hump then there is the mxr classic od or even a maxon....what is your experience and your suggestion?
The EHX Soul Food can tighten up the low end but its very transparent, no mid hump. That's probably my favorite use for the pedal.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
The EHX Soul Food can tighten up the low end but its very transparent, no mid hump. That's probably my favorite use for the pedal.

i don't find the soul food really tightens that well. if he doesn't want a mid hump, the timmy (going by my cheapo danelectro clone) is probably the way to go, at least out of what i've tried.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've been looking into this as well lately. I have a OD808 clone (Joyo Vintage Overdrive) and a Bad Monkey and both give you that mid hump and color the tone.

If you always leave the boost on, you can re EQ the amp to take some of the mids out.

Some transparent boosts I've been looking at are the Sparkle Drive, Timmy, and then some of these Airis pedals specifically for boosting high gain amps.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I use an ibanez tube screamer and it definitely tightens up the low end and gives me a more defined tightened pick attack. I love it with my 6505+. It stays on 100% of the time. Mid hump doesn't bother me at all. I cut thru my band mix exceptionally well.
Gibson LP Classic HP
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter KM-7
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
^^Agreed on the mid hump not being a big deal. You can just turn the mids down on your amp if it gets to be too much. I've also found that an EQ pedal in the loop combined with an OD up front really yields the best results. The EQ allows you to "correct" anything you don't like about the boost and/or enhance what you do like.

With my 6505+, both of my ODs take away a fair amount of bass prior to the preamp stage of the amp. But then I add some of that bass back in with the amp's EQ and my EQ pedal -- and the result is different than just turning the bass up without running a boost. It retains most of the tightness from the od pedal, but still has a heavy, thick, and punchy low-end.