This may seem a little off the wall but I'll ask anyway. I use a Digitech Vocalist Harmonizer on live gigs. It has phantom power for the microphone which I need for my Shure 87A mic. My set up is Shure 87A microphone>Digitech Vocalist with the phantom power on>Vocalist out to the main mixer channel input. I also need to use the phantom power in the mixer to drive two other condenser microphones and like most mid level boards you have a simple one button phantom power button to send the 48v phantom power to all channels. The question is: am I damaging anything in the Digitech by using both the internal phantom power of the Vocalist while still having the phantom power coming back to the vocalist from the mixer?

I hope I am explaining this clearly. I have done it this way for several years and everything seems OK but I often wonder if I am causing any long term damage to anything. Thanks for any help.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
It looks as if it could damage your unit:

"Phantom powering can cause equipment malfunction or even damage if used with cables or adapters that connect one side of the input to ground, or if certain equipment other than microphones is connected to it."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power

If your unit has line-outs, or something other than balanced out-puts you should use that. There's also a solution mentioned in the previous sentence to the one I quoted from that article.

If you need a balanced output, you could use the line-out and send it to a DI-box that accepts phantom power, and send that to the mixer.
If it was going to break it then it would have done so already.

Provided you do not get a fault on your cables there should be no problem. It's not something that causes deterioration the unit would fail straight away.
Quote by Rickholly74
am I damaging anything in the Digitech by using both the internal phantom power of the Vocalist while still having the phantom power coming back to the vocalist from the mixer?
No way to know for sure.

Probably not, but I'd def send digitech an e-mail and ask them if they would know anything about that.
Quote by PSimonR
If it was going to break it then it would have done so already.
If I didn't understand the story correctly and you've done that already then Simon's right.

You've been lucky tho, you may wanna be sure about it next time.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jul 6, 2015,
Without seeing a schematic diagram, clear owner's manual instructions or having advice from the manufacturer it is very difficult to say. It is possible that the Phantom power circuitry has built-in protection and is not being stressed, but then it would still not be a good thing to do to it.

It is also possible that the circuitry is indeed being stressed but has not failed *yet*, although a PSimonR said it would likely have failed by now.
Hard to believe that Digitech would set themselves up for fixing warrantied damaged units. Phantom power is pretty common and they should anticipate that it will be connected to it. Best course of action is to send Digitech support an email and ask.
Thanks everyone for your responses. When I first got the Vocalist about 5 years ago I was using a Shure SM58. Of course no problem there and I never needed to activate the phantom power on the Digitech itself. About two years ago I started using a Shure 87A condenser into the Vocalist and activated the phantom power. At that point I still was not using the phantom power from the mixer because all our stage mics were dynamics so everthing was still OK. About 5-6 months ago I got a small CAD condenser to replace the SM57 as my amp mic. It was less than half the size of the SM57, sounded good and didn't stick out far from the amp. (In smaller places I kept backing into the SM57 sticking out of front of the amp.) In order to use the CAD I had to activate the phantom power on the mixer. I only recently thought I might be causing a problem though so far nothing has happened. I think you all may be correct and this might not be a wise thing to do. I'll try checking with Digitech and go back to the SM57 for now. Thanks again.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jul 6, 2015,