Hi all,

I have just finished a new prog metal instrumental and looking for some feedback. It has taken me a while to mix as I'm still fairly new to the recording/mixing gig but fairly pleased with how it's turned out. Let me know what you think. And C4C of course...

https://soundcloud.com/increments-1/the-general
Hey !!

I think you song is well produced, the quality of the mix is pretty decent. I love the clean parts and the mix with the more violent part is well done too. I just find the lead guitar at 2.47 a bit odd but that's the only thing "wrong" haha.

One last things, I think you can add some vocals too, it could be nice, but I've got the same thing for my songs too (I can't sing and I don't know any good singer).

Everything's okay for me, I liked your song, keep doing it !

Cheers

You can C4C mine

Orphenae - pray for the lord of chickens !
The intro riff is pretty ballsy, and I really like the second part. Very dissonant and insanely driving. The SOLO IS SIIIICK. Not a huge fan of the heavier drums after as I think its a bit to much. The clean track reminds me a lot of Opeth, and is one of my favorite parts of the song so far, the bass adds so much here and this part is ominous and really sick. The next clean part sounds like it would have been better if it skipped the riffs inbetween the clean sections and you just put them together. The arpeggios are nice and another solo would sound good over them. The riff around 2:40 is pretty groovy but I would change something about the way that particular riff ends it feels somewhat sloppy but thats fine. The dark chords around 3:13 are nice as well, again leading to a well done solo. Nice climb after 3:50, something sounds off with that guitar but I love how the piano layers it afterwards, this was one busy track dude! So much good stuff going on! Great outro too, very soothing and dark.

C4C please?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1680342
Hey there,

The General is an interesting track that crosses multiple genres. You have some very interesting note choice. I like that you're not afraid to add instrument timbres (i.e. piano and strings) to what started as a pretty thrashy track. I'm not sure if you played all the instruments yourself or not, but either way the musician(s) here have a good command of their abilities. This track is very dynamic and builds off of preceding sections without repeating too much. I think this can be a strength or a weakness. I think it's very fitting for progressive music, though.

Here are some of the points that caught my attention:

0:00 - 0:10 I dug that intro, it reminded me of something from an oldschool thrash band.

0:45 That was an interesting transition. The lead style sounded similar to Kerry King.

1:18 I really enjoyed the clean transition here.

1:56 Another beautiful clean section here. It repeats a bit, I think perhaps the drums or bass could take this opportunity to set the mood a bit more.

2:50 Interesting phrasing here, it's slightly dissonant to my ears but it still works.

3:10-3:22 The section before the leads comes in reminded me of Russian Circles.

Could you check out my track? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1680840
Hey thanks for your critique on my track. Okay so first impressions of the intro is I am in for a treat the rhythm is very wet sounding in the beginning and I quite like that, The lead that comes in at 0:45 sound very much like something from old school death metal. You have a very nice clean tone you work with and at 1:20 to 1:38 I really enjoy how the bass is interacting with everything. Your last solo I would of liked for the tone to be a tad fatter maybe some more mids but I understand if that's the lead voice you liked to work with it sounds fine and has some awesome phrases. You're a good player and it sounds like you know how to really piece your music together the outro was great and your mixing and mastering is something I strive for.
Mighty, awesome chunks of meaty sound tightly arranged into idiomatically frenetic brilliance. And love the change into the cleaner sound, I really wasn't expecting that, but it works excellently, completely changes gear and feel while remaining congruous. The second change down too works just as well, again veering into advanced harmonies full of evocation and weird wonder that still holds the thread of this composition.
Further listening reveals far more that finely done genre metal, that can so often sound unimaginative and like a backing track. Here we have a piece of symphonic conception and reach, a fantasia of vast vision and imagination, where the consummate musicianship has been reined and tamed for a grand poetical design.
Meaning through musical movements. Classical music but done with rock instruments, full of thematic development, clever changes, and depth that rewards repeated listening.
Basically, I love this,,,,,
Also, production, engineering, performances etc are most excellent,,,,
Did I say that I fookin' love this - music as it should be, full of imagination, invention, logical development, meaning and feeling,,,,,,
I liked the blast beats, reminds me of old school metal. I lke the clean guitar part that comes in i'd just add a bit of reverb to it or delay? I can't really hear the bass either. The music is cool though. Just feel it need a bit better mixing/tones and it can be very great
Nice work and playing!
It sounds very old-school - it reminds me of 80s punk a little and the solo was really nice

Onto the mix: I'd say it needs a bit more sonic range - maybe boost the bass up a bit and give it a bit more low end. Don't let anything under about 30-60Hz through though - cut that out cause all it does is makes it flubby.
Maybe also give the drums a bit of compression too.

Other than that, it's a really solid track and I want to hear MOAR!
Very cool riffs, nice playing and great energy. I like how you approach rhythms and use dissonance to create atmosphere and tension. I love the combination of 80's trash and prog. The mix is great. I would personally up the drums just a tiny bit. The transition in 1:50 is maybe a little harsh. I really liked the outro. Great sounds you got here!

Followed you in soundcloud! I want to hear more
This piece is quite jarring, which is an aspect I personally like. The sudden shifts into clean guitars and tempo changes are something I can appreciate and when done well they keep the track interesting without sounding goofy and generally I think you have succeeded there. Nice solo towards the end. That whole outdo part was very well done as well. Followed, will be checking out your other stuff.

As far as the mixing goes I can have another listen later on my monitors and give some specific advice if you like?

Here's my latest piece, feedback appreciated: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1681759
Quote by Random3
This piece is quite jarring, which is an aspect I personally like. The sudden shifts into clean guitars and tempo changes are something I can appreciate and when done well they keep the track interesting without sounding goofy and generally I think you have succeeded there. Nice solo towards the end. That whole outdo part was very well done as well. Followed, will be checking out your other stuff.

As far as the mixing goes I can have another listen later on my monitors and give some specific advice if you like?

Here's my latest piece, feedback appreciated: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1681759

Thanks buddy. The quick switches from heavy to soft is something which comes out a lot when I'm writing! Glad to hear that it works though. Is this what you are referring to when you say jarring?

Any crit on the mix would be much appreciated as I'm new to mixing/mastering. I wanted a fairly vintage sound. Let me have your thoughts!
Richo1985

Hey man! I gotta be honest with you I started listening to your track with a little bit of bias because of all the 'bla-bla-bla metal/rock' thing. Lots of tunes out there that wear the good old tricks threadbare and sound too generic to tell them apart.

But your song really stands on its own! Although the opening is a bit to clicheed to my liking but I'm sure there will be lots of metalheads digging it cause it pays tribute to what the fans of the genre are familiar with.

It's like a five-minute symphony with different moods instruments and everything. Your piece really engages the listener pretty much all the way through. I wish I could have your composing (and playing!) skills someday.

if this is helpful could you please give my song a listen here
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1681900
I'll bullet point my thoughts on the mixing.

There is some mud on the guitars from what I can hear, make sure you high pass sufficiently and also cut the bass to help separate it.

The lead tone is a bit "buzzsaw-y". Could be worth taming with some subtractive EQ.

Clean guitar tone is fine.

The bass in the heavy parts could do with a bit more thump.

The lead part at like 4:00 is very effective but is too loud.

In my opinion the whole outro part with the piano and the violin is louder than it should be.
just my opinion, but i think it leads in too hard. it's like the two minute mark should be the intro and the intro should be at the two minute mark. great work but maybe play around with how you bring up and bring down tension.