So what are some good medium to high end guitars for heavy metal and rock? I'm looking for something anywhere from $500 up to probably $2000. If you know of any in that range, great, and if not just give them to me anyway. Nothing too crazy like all these blood spattered V's, nothing like that. But other than that sort of stuff any nice, non gory guitars.

Oh and if you could please tell me the price of the guitar in your reply.

Thanks in advance!
I could start naming of countless guitars for you to try so we need to narrow it down. Do you want to stay towards the lower end of your budget, in the middle, or go all out? Do you want a guitar with actives or passives? Do you want a trem? Heavy metal and rock covers a broad spectrum and a list of your favorite artists would also help. What amp are you using? Thin or thick neck? Finally do you have a preference when it comes down to shapes like singlecut vs superstrat?
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
There are literally thousands of guitars available to you in the <$2000 range.

All you've said is that you don't want a blood-splattered V. Cool. That's just 1 particular heavy metal guitar out of the thousands and thousands available which fit the criteria of, 'not a blood-splattered Flying V'.

My point is that you're not being anywhere near specific enough as to what guitar you want. Give us a more detailed specification please.

If not, my only recommendation is the Wangcaster.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 6, 2015,
PRS
EBMM
that is just to get you started, then we can really talk. want a few company's that start at $10,000 we can talk about those too.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
there needs to be rules enforced for these threads. Like blue said there are THOUSANDS of guitars in that price range. You can't just give us a price and extremely vague genre.

1.Price
2.Specific genre/examples of tones you're after
3. Current amp/s
4. Tuning/s you will be using
5. Ideal neck thickness/shape
5. Preferred shapes/colours/weights
6. Preferred bridge type(floyd/no floyd, string through etc)
7. Do you need it to have good pickups stock or are you willing to change them
With that budget I'd get a custom Carvin (around $1400 for something I would like) or save a bit more for a Jackson US Soloist/Warrior/King V ($2100+).
Maybe even two Jackson Pros, a Soloist and a King V ($900 each).
I second the usa jacksons. Brand new they are above your budget, but dont be afraid to go used. I just picked up an sl1 at guitarcenter for $1200, in immaculate shape.
Dont shy away from jackson signatures either, best guitar i own is a jackson dominion (mark morton) i got off craigslist for $1000
Sorry, I've realized how simple and vague my answer was, please forgive me. I was just looking for a broad spectrum of guitars and really should have narrowed it down. So, I would like a guitar that's good for rhythm parts that has thick deep tone. Sort of like the tone from James Hetfields older explorers. So maybe something with mahogany, Korina (white limba) or Adler. As for the body styles it doesn't matter to me... I like them all (except for the blood spattered V's lol but I don't have anything against V's in particular). Relatively thin profile neck, and nice low action. Also I'd like to see models passive pickups. Stoptail bridge and I'm fine with string through as well. I just don't think I need or want a tremolo.

Also mention some good amps if you have recommendations because I'm planning on buying one as well... I do not have one. From what I hear tube amps are greatly preferred.

As for colors, I don't care. I'm not picky about that.

All in all, something that is good for the metal (stuff like Metallica, Black Sabbath, Megadeth), old school hard rock (ACDC mainly) and even bluesy rock like Led Zeppelin.

Again I apologise. I'm not that experienced with electrics because I only own acoustics.

Thanks for putting up with my amateur mistakes!
Last edited by Jamesplaysbass at Jul 6, 2015,
You don't care about body style? Body style plays an enormous part of how a guitar feels to play, in terms of its weight, balance, upper fret access, control location and general ergonomics. What do you mean by a thin neck? How thin are we talking about here? What shape are we talking about here? A C-shape? A D-shape? A V-shape? Can you compare your preferable neck thickness to another guitar you've played in the past? What sort of passive pickups are you interested in? Dimarzio's? Seymour Duncans? What models of those pickups are you the most interested in?

I know this is a lot to ask of you, but these are the sort of things you should be considering when buying a guitar, and especially when you're considering spending up to a couple of thousands of dollars on one.

Action also is not an aspect of a guitar's specification, it is an aspect of a guitar's setup. It should also be noted that the amp influences the sound of the guitar far more than the guitar itself does.

Your lack of experience with electric guitars tells me that you need to play a lot more of them. Go to a guitar store and play as many guitars as possible so that your preferences can be found and known before buying anything.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 6, 2015,
I would start your search with the Jackson Pro Series and ESP/LTD 1000 Series. You have a ton of different body shapes and some features to choose from.

If you want to spend more, look into Jackson USA and ESP E-II series.

Ibanez Prestige Series is in your budget as well.

It's very important to figure out what style of neck you like. Normally "metal" players use a thinner, flatter neck.

Jackson uses a compound neck so the low frets rounder are easier to chord and the high frets are flatter.

ESP/LTD uses a Thin-U on most of theirs and it feels more like the high frets of the Jackson - thin and flat.

Ibanez has very thin flat necks - thinner than both Jackson and ESP.

Typically your Gibson and Epiphone Les Pauls have chunkier neck. Schecter normally uses a chunkier neck as well.

Just try out as many as you can but I'd start here in your search.

When it's time to purchase you almost always get more bang for your buck going used, just be sure to play the actual instrument if possible.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
My recommendations stay the same given the additional info you provided.

Tube amps are preferred if you can afford them and have the kind of living arrangements that allow you to make a lot of noise. Without knowing budget or what kind of setup you want to go with, I'd recommend a Peavey 6505+ or Carvin V3. Both offer all sorts of options.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You don't care about body style? Body style plays an enormous part of how a guitar feels to play, in terms of its weight, balance, upper fret access, control location and general ergonomics. What do you mean by a thin neck? How thin are we talking about here? What shape are we talking about here? A C-shape? A D-shape? A V-shape? Can you compare your preferable neck thickness to another guitar you've played in the past? What sort of passive pickups are you interested in? Dimarzio's? Seymour Duncans? What models of those pickups are you the most interested in?

I know this is a lot to ask of you, but these are the sort of things you should be considering when buying a guitar, and especially when you're considering spending up to a couple of thousands of dollars on one.

Action also is not an aspect of a guitar's specification, it is an aspect of a guitar's setup. It should also be noted that the amp influences the sound of the guitar far more than the guitar itself does.

Your lack of experience with electric guitars tells me that you need to play a lot more of them. Go to a guitar store and play as many guitars as possible so that your preferences can be found and known before buying anything.

You're right about my lack of experience with electric guitars. And you're right about the other things. All I'm doing at the moment is looking for possible options for when I am ready and do have the knowledge and experience to buy one. No, I'm not necessarily gonna go out and buy a guitar just because someone mentions it to me. I'm just gathering options and opinions now. But of course I am gonna go and play models first hand.
Quick query - more for those in the know about electronics and such - given the range of styles TS wants to play, would a coil tap(not a split) be a viable option so he'd have enough grunt for the metal, but not be too far out of the ball park for AC/DC and Zep?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Jamesplaysbass at #33487900
You're right about my lack of experience with electric guitars. And you're right about the other things. All I'm doing at the moment is looking for possible options for when I am ready and do have the knowledge and experience to buy one. No, I'm not necessarily gonna go out and buy a guitar just because someone mentions it to me. I'm just gathering options and opinions now. But of course I am gonna go and play models first hand.

At a $2000 budget, your potential options number in the thousands. There are more combinations of guitar features out there than you could pretty much ever want. So one must be specific.

I'm not really able to offer an opinion on any particular guitar when we're not even sure what kind of guitar you want yet. I suppose one place to start is looking at the offerings from popular guitar manufacturers. Such as Fender, Gibson, ESP, Schecter, Ibanez, Jackson, Charvel, etc... Find something from those manufacturers that you like the look of. And/or look at aspiring guitar players (such as James Hetfield and his Explorers) and see if you like what they're playing.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If you go used you can go pretty far with your budget. A jcm2000 dsl with a used Ltd ec1000 with Duncan's will cover a good portion of what you want to play. Just to guesstimate the prices: 600$ for ec1000, 800$ for head, and 400$ for a cab brings you shy of your top budget and it's a solid rig.
This is but one of many options you could take so go out and try some of the gear mentioned if possible. Switch the jcm2000 for something smaller if volume is an issue.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Last edited by ltdguy27 at Jul 6, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
At a $2000 budget, your potential options number in the thousands. There are more combinations of guitar features out there than you could pretty much ever want. So one must be specific.

I'm not really able to offer an opinion on any particular guitar when we're not even sure what kind of guitar you want yet. I suppose one place to start is looking at the offerings from popular guitar manufacturers. Such as Fender, Gibson, ESP, Schecter, Ibanez, Jackson, Charvel, etc... Find something from those manufacturers that you like the look of. And/or look at aspiring guitar players (such as James Hetfield and his Explorers) and see if you like what they're playing.

Okay I'll do that... sorry I wasn't more prepared to answer these types of questions but I wont make that mistake again lol. Thanks for sort of bringing me to my senses!
I recommend trying out these guitars: Gibson Les Paul, Ibanez Prestige with tremelo, Fender single coil strat, and then anything else that catches your eye like a V or something. Not saying you have to stick to these brands, but they are some of the most representative guitar models of their respective categories. See which type fits you better and narrow down choices from there
EBMM
PRS CE
Ibanez Prestige
ESP [insert shape here] (not LTD)
Jackson Pro Series

not in order, most mentioned already at one point in this thread.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Go to a music store and just try as many guitars as possible. First just try how different guitars feel in your hand. Then try the best feeling ones through an amp.

Also, decide if you want a tremolo. That's an easy way to rule out guitars.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Jamesplaysbass
So what are some good medium to high end guitars for heavy metal and rock? I'm looking for something anywhere from $500 up to probably $2000. If you know of any in that range, great, and if not just give them to me anyway. Nothing too crazy like all these blood spattered V's, nothing like that. But other than that sort of stuff any nice, non gory guitars.

Oh and if you could please tell me the price of the guitar in your reply.

Thanks in advance!

Anything by Ernie Ball/ Musicman - Silhouettes, Pettrucci models etc.
I think you need to head down to a Guitar Center or a Sam Ash and just play a bunch and feel them out for yourself. If you have absolutely no idea what you want, answers on an Internet forum can only help so much.

When you do get down to a shop, my suggestion is try out the ESP Eclipse (I think they are under the brand E-II now?). It's got the classic single-cut body shape, but the neck is thinner and faster. It's an absolute dream to play, and I love mine to death. You may love it, too!
ESP. I second the Eclipse. You could get a couple used for under $2000.
ESP RZK-1 Platinum Silver(x2)
ESP RZK-I Custom Shop Platinum Silver
ESP RZK-1 Black
ESP RZK-1 Olympic White
ESP RZK-1 Burnt
ESP RZK-II Burnt
ESP 901 See Through Red
ESP Eclipse I CTM Vintage Black
LTD EC 1000 Black Cherry
LTD EC 50 Black
ESP, for sure. A Horizon NTII or Eclipse II is pretty much exactly what you're looking for.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Carvin. Ernie ball is a great suggestion as well. ernie will push the upper end of that 2k. a good carvin can be had for about 800-1000. a GREAT, AMAZING carvin can be had for 1200-1600.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)