Page 1 of 2
This is an axiom of Emerson's, allegedly, although I'm sure the idea is older than him.

Basically the idea is that you can educate yourself using available public resources and books to the same level or better than the university experience, but will do just as well if you are simply good looking.

Notable and successful "intellectuals" who have stated agreement with this idea are Ralph Waldo Emerson (duh), Stefan Zweig, and Ray Bradbury. These are off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are others.

How do you feel about this?

I attend a university and take courses (LOL but it's online) and really enjoy the academic environment, but I also very highly value looks. I think that, generally, both are equally viable, but suit different contexts.

CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Where is the poll OP u gon dun ****ed it up.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
good concept, terrible execution

2/10

qft
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Well if you're like a model then fair enough

If you're just like normal attractive you can probably blag promotions to a point but will eventually hit a ceiling when you'll need an actual education
for real if you're gonna do a mirror thread at least change up what's inside of it to make it relevant instead of straight up copy/pasting it yknow? smh
Only if you're a girl.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
if you are a young girl but unless you are able to give up your pride and marry a douche rich dude than you are fucked when you get old. The guy doesn't have to be a douche but 1) a high percentage of rich people are douches 2) if he marries for looks and not love (which again is not certain but probable) he's most likely a douche.
Everyone's all about these Emerson quotes lately. I like it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Stop using 'dorks' you bitch ass Ditto, you're not lolmnt. Not sure why you would want to be.

- The Xiaoxi

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
well, a 10 in CHR can do wonders...
not that id know
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Xiaoxi at #33489907
Stop using 'dorks' you bitch ass Ditto, you're not lolmnt. Not sure why you would want to be.

- The Xiaoxi

I've been calling people dorks since like the fifth grade.

- Bob_Shmurda

P.S. - Haven't you heard that I'm actually an amalgamation of every Pit user?

P.P.S. - I've only read roughly three or four lolmnt posts and I don't remember any of them.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jul 7, 2015,
Quote by Xiaoxi at #33489907

- The Xiaoxi

get a load of this dweeb eh

Quote by chrismendiola
Stop calling people dorks, you buncha libtards.

- Xiaoxi

Woah...that's me!

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
"Chicken nuggets are the least egregious protein on the McDonalds menu."

-chrismendiola
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
How many homeless people are super hot? Zero of them. If you want to be successful, be hot.

Good looks are probably a better bet than good books to get you through life tbh
"It's not like I forgot how to get pussy just because I fucking became homeless"

I love that guy.

^I think someone in the comments mentioned he was still homeless slumming around Austin actually.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr at #33490110
"It's not like I forgot how to get pussy just because I fucking became homeless"

I love that guy.

^I think someone in the comments mentioned he was still homeless slumming around Austin actually.

explains a lot

He makes more in two/three days than I make a week working full time by sitting on his ass and asking people for money.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jul 7, 2015,
Quote by chrismendiola at #33489913

P.S. - Haven't you heard that I'm actually an amalgamation of every Pit user?

not me bcuz i'm not lame
Quote by ErikLensherr

I love that guy.

Austin is the first world of homeless living so sounds like he's got it made
BTW, I'm reading a book relevant to this. It's called Scratch Beginnings by Adam Shepard. It's a college-educated white guy from the suburbs who moves to a homeless shelter in inner city Charleston to work his way up. He isn't getting any pussy so far but still very interesting.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by ErikLensherr
BTW, I'm reading a book relevant to this. It's called Scratch Beginnings by Adam Shepard. It's a college-educated white guy from the suburbs who moves to a homeless shelter in inner city Charleston to work his way up. He isn't getting any pussy so far but still very interesting.

Being well off enough that you can choose to become homeless for fun #whitepeople
Quote by bradulator
Being well off enough that you can choose to become homeless for fun #whitepeople

Damn, how have I not heard of a massive internet backlash against this guy? The clickbaity headlines write themselves.

"Fake homeless guy tests limits of white privilege"

"White man appropriates homeless culture"

"You won't believe why this white man is pretending to be homeless"

"What happens when a privileged white man pretends to be homeless"

And that's not even going after the "Educated white guy sets out to confirm all our biases about poor people being lazy, stupid, and uneducated" angle. It's like the Quantum Leap Fallacy: Actual Person Edition.
I don't know if I'd rather be more intelligent or more attractive. Being more attractive would have far worse downsides than being more intelligent but being more intelligent doesn't necessarily mean that life will become easier.
cat
Page 1 of 2