I made an acoustic riff and it went pretty well but to make more people listen to it* i need a fast part but the acoustic part is really feely and i just cant go to 180 bpm from 120 bpm with that riff what should i do? what would you do?

*as i was looking through hit songs i found that most of them has both pop-ish acoustic riffs and also fast parts but you know what i mean fast like the pretender or something and i said why not give it a shot.so i am here seeking your help.
You can write another part using notes of half the time value as the notes you used in the first note (i.e. use sixteenth notes if the riff you already wrote using eight notes). Or you can write the next part in triplets. Basically, use notes that have less time value than the ones you used before. In your case, using triplets would give the same effect as going from 120 bpm to 180 bpm, without actually changing tempo.
If we take "The Pretender" as an example, it starts with a slow guitar intro (around 90 bpm). The fast parts are in double tempo (around 180 bpm). This kind of tempo changes pretty much always work (as long as the musical ideas work with each other).

But remember that not all riffs sound good in a fast tempo. Some riffs sound better when they are played slowly. If you are after a certain kind of sound and your riff doesn't sound like that, write something else. Not all popular songs are fast.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The reason the fast riff from the Pretender works is because it is complimented by the slower clean guitar riff. But, see, they're obviously 2 distinct riffs; they didn't just slap 1 riff together and then crank the speed & volume.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 7, 2015,